Forgot pattern lock? You are screwed!

1. G_Thridev_Suvarnan_rhMe
    Eclair Oct 3, 2017

G_Thridev_Suvarnan_rhMe , Oct 3, 2017 :
    OnePlus doesn't have a forgot pin/pattern option to recover your phone unlock pin/pattern if you have forgotten it. The only way to access your phone in such situations is by restoring to factory settings, losing all your precious data.

With people using the finger print sensor so often, it is very likely that a user can forget his/her unlock pin/pattern. Such a design flaw!

OnePlus need to address this issue with an update so that one can recover their phone during such instances!

- a suffered user

2. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Oct 3, 2017

camohan , Oct 3, 2017 :
    I would not say it's a design flaw, it can be a memory flaw.
    A sense check is required if someone forgets the pin of a mobile.
    Write it down someone to prevent yourself from suffering.
    So now oneplus is blamed for users forgetting.. Way to go.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

3. felipemendes
    Jelly Bean Oct 3, 2017

felipemendes , Oct 3, 2017 :
    Let's go again:
    1. OP just uses Android. Android (which is in great part open source) asks you to type the email account/password after a number of unsuccessful unlocks.
    2. Android requests you to use your pin/password/pattern at least once a day. I don't know how this is long enough for someone to forget it.
    3. Imagine if someone steals your phone and gains control over it (by somehow getting past the authentication). That person could do a lot of stuff on your behalf, and I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

4. RogueS4
    Jelly Bean Moderator Oct 3, 2017

5. G_Thridev_Suvarnan_rhMe
    Eclair Oct 3, 2017

Every password protected systems have redundancy. An option in case one fails. Check any online website accounts.

In my case, I recently changed my pattern, and being a very frequent user. I did not have to use the pattern for some time since I used finger print.

Now when I had to use my new pattern to login, I can't seem to find a way.

6. G_Thridev_Suvarnan_rhMe
    Eclair Oct 3, 2017

There was this option for earlier versions of android to set a new lock password remotely. But it turns out, new versions doesn't have them.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  7. SabinJamal
    Gingerbread Oct 3, 2017

SabinJamal , Oct 3, 2017 :
    its not possible because the phone should have internet access and must have GPS turned on...then only the phone can be tracked...

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  8. Ak762
    Gingerbread Oct 3, 2017

Ak762 , Oct 3, 2017 :
    these guys are right. it's not OnePlus' fault if you forgot your pin/code what you're suggesting is ridiculous for a phone. Sucks to be you but again, not OnePlus' fault or an issue to be laid at their feet. it's your issue. sorry dude but next time take better care of your things.

Vakil75, MikeG247, SoniaB and 3 others like this.
  9. Ak762
    Gingerbread Oct 3, 2017

Ak762 , Oct 3, 2017 :
    not exactly true as it can be wiped

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  10. Praty_28
    KitKat Oct 3, 2017

Praty_28 , Oct 3, 2017 :
    Backup is your best friend in these times always backup important stuff to cloud you never know what might happen to your phone /data. And its not oneplus who created android its google so there's no point creating a thread here. The forgot pattern option has been removed long ago since lollipop i wonder how you dint notice it before. Also if you tend to forget your pattern reboot your device atleast once a week which would ensure you have to type in your password every week and reduce the chances of ypu forgetting your pass.

dracarys6k, Ravi BINAVAT and otto2 like this.
  11. G_Thridev_Suvarnan_rhMe
    Eclair Oct 3, 2017

Samsung phones have an option to login to your Samsung website profile through Samsung id, where you could reset your phone password.

Just think of redundancy! I know if one forgets every damn password you have no choice. But for the phone, having no second layer, considering one can often change pin or pattern is little too risky.. and I think it need to be addressed.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  12. G_Thridev_Suvarnan_rhMe
    Eclair Oct 3, 2017

Doesn't all these hassle be prevented if there is just one more layer of redundancy? Like every email and other online accounts have?

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  13. Ak762
    Gingerbread Oct 3, 2017

Ak762 , Oct 3, 2017 :
    personally I don't forget my alternate password. Then you should have bought a Samsung phone if you like their system. OnePlus doesn't have a system like that. Again the fault is on you, not them. so it's not an issue to be "addressed" stop acting entitled like it should be.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  14. G_Thridev_Suvarnan_rhMe
    Eclair Oct 3, 2017

There is no option for alternate password! There is no alternative! Period. I do remember my Google account credentials.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  15. G_Thridev_Suvarnan_rhMe
    Eclair Oct 3, 2017

The fault is mine, but a good design should have provisions to deal with some faults from user side. Why does otherwise any email account have forgot password option? We don't live in an ideal world where everyone remembers.

16. Ak762
    Gingerbread Oct 3, 2017

Ak762 , Oct 3, 2017 :
    actually there is.
    you have your usual pin, password, swipe, or pattern.
    then if activated fingerprint, face, voice, or location unlock.
    you can consider the first group or second group alternate, it's up to you.

if you're able to access your phone.
    I'd suggest backing everything up then wiping the phone.
    then create your password then WRITE IT DOWN.
    again be more responsible.

zer0se7en and Ravi BINAVAT like this.
  17. Ak762
    Gingerbread Oct 3, 2017

Ak762 , Oct 3, 2017 :
    Not all emails have easy "I forgot" methods. some are easier than others, which also may make them more vulnerable to being taken by someone else who isn't the owner. what you're suggesting is a potential security flaw. so yeah.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  18. DracoSura
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 3, 2017

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  19. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Oct 3, 2017

camohan , Oct 3, 2017 :
    You could have requested to have another layer, however you started off with showing as if Oneplus is to blame by considering this as design flaw.

Also every restart, phone asks for PIN for more security. Another option to remember is to restart the phone. It also helps clearing cache and temp files.;)

Ravi BINAVAT, otto2 and Praty_28 like this.
  20. G_Thridev_Suvarnan_rhMe
    Eclair Oct 3, 2017

At a time for unlock you have only one option. The one option you selected from your choices of face, voice, WiFi, pin, whatever.

If your first layer of unlock option ( like finger print or face ) fails by multiple attempt or if you simply restart your phone, you have only the one option of pin/ pattern whichever you have set. After that, you can't try unlock with fingerprint or these other means even if you want to.

I had fingerprint and pattern alone. When my finger print did not work because of alignment issue a couple of times, it then started asking for my pattern. I can't go back to finger print after and the pattern I remembered did not seem to work.

If there was simple option to switch to finger print again, I could have unlocked.