Fours years of OxygenOS Beta Program: Past, present and future

1. the_reckoner
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 6, 2020

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  2. beanpolebiker
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

beanpolebiker , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 6, 2020 :
    This was inevitable. And I don't blame OP for taking this step.

The success of a beta program depends heavily upon constructive feedback and bug reporting by users, but of late 90% of the posts on Beta threads were either questions like:

- how to install beta?
    - where to download beta?
    - why have I not received Update?
    - how to roll back to stable?
    - why are there many bugs in Open Beta?
    - Why download from Oxygen Updater app and how it's not trustworthy?
    - When is 5g feature coming to beta? (wtf?)

Or moaning and whining on the line of:

- heating issues (thanks to an endless list of garbage apps installed on the phone)
    - very poor and useless update
    - OnePlus being so bad, and never buying OnePlus again, Samsung, Xiaomi, Realme being so 'good' because they release monthly security updates
    - Continuous complaining about non issues like a green tint to the display on grey backgrounds in pitch dark rooms.

The threads had therefore turned into absolute cancer and unreadable, primarily because people who had trouble managing even stable versions were jumping in to use Beta builds and inevitably cocking it up. All this despite valiant attempts from some experienced members to educate and share knowledge about running Beta builds.

Beta is for people who know what they are doing and need minimal guidance to install it, test it and provide constructive feedback in improving it. Not impatient crybabies who throw toys out of their pram just because the CPU-Z app shows their phones to be 2 degrees hotter whilst they play PUBG connected to a charger.

And don't even get me started on the monthly security patch hard-on that seems so prevalent in smartphone users these days. What a load over overhyped crap that it. I know people who work for big tech companies and MNC banks and even their employers allow work phones on secure networks if they have had ONE security patch update in the last 6 months. If companies where IT security is a critical requirement are fine with one security patch Update in 6 months, I see no reason why PUBG players and Tik-Tokers based out of India (I am from there too and I know it's the hotbed for serial moaners) need to moan about security concerns on their phones, just because they are on a April patch.

3. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jun 6, 2020

Swatiranjan , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 6, 2020 :
    Thanks @Manu J. for the update & good to know about the process.

Absolutely right[e]1f44d[/e]

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  4. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jun 6, 2020

Important Facts !

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  5. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jun 6, 2020

[e]1f44d[/e]

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  6. gg1+
    Froyo Jun 6, 2020

gg1+ , via OnePlus 7 , Jun 6, 2020 :
    The main reason nobody seems to be focusing on is the increase in number of devices released in the recent years.

After all its humans who are building the codes.

7. Ravi BINAVAT
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 6, 2020

8. FisherXDA
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

FisherXDA , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jun 6, 2020 :
    To be honest we were only getting 1 open beta update a month on average anyways so no difference really from open beta up through to stable.

Real shame this has happened though officially, guess that's what happens when you releases 6 different versions of the same device a year - with a plan to add more mid range devices..

Can see the reason though last few beta releases have included some serious bugs that I thought closed beta would've picked up on.

While other manufacturers are updating more frequently and in better time, OP decide to cut theres [e]1f602[/e]

OnePlus grew a community, the community grew OnePlus, now the community has outgrown OnePlus.

9. beanpolebiker
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

Care to point out which other manufacturers (apart from Google) are providing faster and meaningful updates to their phones? And security patch 'updates' don't count. I'd love to hear what features I am missing out on by being on a OnePlus device right now.

10. MrKulkarni
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2020

MrKulkarni , Jun 6, 2020 :
    The Beta programs should ideally be made available only for serious Devs; and not for every tom, dick & harry who wants the thrill of using new features. Only the Devs can point out genuine bugs as that is the crux of the motive behind releasing a Beta before a Stable update is rolled out to all users at large.

11. Simão99
    Froyo Jun 6, 2020

Simão99 , via OnePlus 5T , Jun 6, 2020 :
    You never send the security patch at the right time, and I think that is really disappointing...
    Other thing is that the stable updates were never good is at his release.... almost a month after the official release to receive it....
    always. "it's a staged rollout"... when I received the security patch he was already 3 or 4 months behind it's time....
    I don't get the thing of "staged rollout"....
    I hoped that you would get better in time... But from what I see, it's better to leave ...

SuppNyUs and Minato like this.
  12. Soulsurfer919
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2020

13. Dalve_
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

14. nikhilprashanth
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2020

15. rhyd1am
    Jelly Bean Jun 6, 2020

rhyd1am , via OnePlus Community App , Jun 6, 2020 :
    The last update for the 7pro was 9 days ago, how often are you expecting updates exactly?

16. AdikartaDasa
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

JorgeMaTeixeira likes this.
  17. beanpolebiker
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

rhyd1am likes this.
  18. beanpolebiker
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

lol no way. Having moved to a 7t from a Nokia 8.1, will never recommend Android 1 over Oxygen OS.

19. rhyd1am
    Jelly Bean Jun 6, 2020