Frame rate issue in the YouTube app for 60fps videos on the OnePlus 7 Pro

?

Does your device also exhibit this same issue?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2019.
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. krazyfrog Donut May 25, 2019

krazyfrog, May 25, 2019 :
    My OnePlus 7 Pro unit is having issues playing back 60fps videos in the YouTube app.

Videos in 60fps frame rate keep fluctuating between 60 and 30fps frame rate while the video is playing. This applies to all three resolutions where 60fps is supported in the YouTube app on the phone: 720p, 1080p and 1440p. It applies to both, SDR as well as HDR videos.

The issue is very easy to notice if you can tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps. The video will go back and forth between the two frame rates and it's extremely jarring. Here is a sample video to demonstrate the difference.

Now, the issue could very well plague all videos in the YouTube app but since it pertains to the frame rate, it can only be noticed on high frame rate videos.

I have tried playing 60fps video files locally on the device and they all play at the correct frame rate without any switching. The issue seems to be limited to the YouTube app.

The app itself has received an update or two since I noticed this issue and has also been working fine on other smartphones so the issue is not related to the app itself from what I can tell. I also checked the video stats while playing and there were no reported dropped frames by the YouTube app and it seems the app seems entirely unaware of the frame rate going back and forth on the display.

This means the issue seems limited to OxygenOS and how it's handling the video from the YouTube app. As someone who does watch a lot of 60fps content on the phone, this issue has made the YouTube app unusable for me so I'm hoping someone from the OxygenOS team sees this and releases a fix for it.

ValoX, HiroCBox, khefo and 6 others like this.
  2. Lobsang86 Donut May 28, 2019

Lobsang86, May 28, 2019 :
    I also have this problem. Really hoping this gets noticed since it seems really hard finding more people with this issue when I tried googleing for it.

3. elanglois Lollipop May 28, 2019

elanglois, May 28, 2019 :
    Your shitting me right? You are watching someone play a video game? Don't you think that any visual glitches could be the game or the recording equipment?

This is NOT a valid test file. Personally, it looks fine to me.

Prabhu Narayanasamy likes this.
  4. ExterminalPT Donut May 28, 2019

5. ExterminalPT Donut May 28, 2019

ExterminalPT, May 28, 2019 :
    What!? Are u kidding? The issue is very annoying and very noticiable.

6. elanglois Lollipop May 29, 2019

elanglois, May 29, 2019 :
    Are you sure its not your network?

7. DragoLac Eclair May 29, 2019

DragoLac, May 29, 2019 :
    This can happen if the screen is in 90Hz mode and the video is 60fps, so the software must insert a static frames to mach the screen and video rate. This is not a problem for 30fps video.

But I don't have this issue on my OP7 Pro since it apperently switches on the fly to 60Hz mode when reproducing 60fps video.

8. sashcardi Cupcake May 29, 2019

9. topace22 Cupcake May 29, 2019

10. teflocarbon Froyo May 30, 2019

11. Lobsang86 Donut May 31, 2019

Lobsang86, May 31, 2019 :
    wow please dont speak here again. anyways, it seems to only affect some? or *some* people just cant tell the difference between 60Hz and 90Hz. god i hope this gets taken further, its so annoying!

romkkaa likes this.
  12. elanglois Lollipop May 31, 2019

elanglois, May 31, 2019 :
    First, I'll speak any time I want.

Second, the phone will switch to 60Hz when playing back video

Third, the file is in 60Hz, says its 60fps (60Hz), and YouTube doesn't support 90Hz video ... so why are you talking about 90Hz at all?

13. Lobsang86 Donut Jun 1, 2019

Lobsang86, Jun 1, 2019 :
    because you're talking out of your *** and your first comment is aggressive. the OP explained the issue very methodically and all you can do is spew shit. so really, shut the **** up and let the grownups talk. OnePlus has a special deal with youtube that optimizes the YouTube app just for the OnePlus 7 pro, so THATS why I'm talking about 90Hz. The OnePlus has 90Hz if you want it to, I know that, but it goes back to 60fps when playing videos, it does not support 90fps videos atm. read up on basic functions before you become hostile against people trying to report a problem.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

romkkaa likes this.
  14. elanglois Lollipop Jun 1, 2019

elanglois, Jun 1, 2019 :
    YouTube doesn't store 90Hz videos and the video in question is clearly 60Hz. The processor has dedicated hardware to decode most media formats and the switch to 60Hz would be done at the hardware level.

The OP7 Pro has a custom YouTube version? That's outright bullsit. A special version to do WHAT? What is your source?

The only shit being spewed is this thread. If there are glitches, its a network problem. Download the video and try for yourself

15. Lobsang86 Donut Jun 1, 2019

Lobsang86, Jun 1, 2019 :
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/tech...at-it-means/story-s0ssDcq0yZIjJNGAyBKl1N.html

16. Lobsang86 Donut Jun 1, 2019

Lobsang86, Jun 1, 2019 :
    that's my source you idiot. network problem? God damn, just get out of this thread, you clearly do not know what you are talking about.

17. Lobsang86 Donut Jun 1, 2019

18. elanglois Lollipop Jun 1, 2019

elanglois, Jun 1, 2019 :
    No. I won't get out of the thread

And the source you quoted says a ʾpartnership' which does not mean a special Oneplus 7 pro version of the YouTube app. It means nothing of the sort. Might just mean that Oneplus says you can do HDR on YouTube and YouTube gives them some help with implementing the VP9 codec.

Your source also says HDR10 is limited to 300 nits brightness. Maybe non-HDR is 300 nits, but HDR10 is 1000. And if the author understood what they were writing and not just copying crap, they would know how absurd that 300 nits figure it. So, your Hindu times doesn't know what THEY are talking about! Worse, you don't know what THEY are talking about either!

The YouTube app itself is unchanged. The VP9 codec is likely ALL handled by hardware. Hell, my Libre Renegade (similar to a Raspberry Pie) is pretty old tech and it can do VP9 in 4K with HDR all in hardware without missing frames.

If you miss frames, it's likely your network. After all, this issue only affects YouTube and not local files ... so download the Youtube content and if it plays fine, it's your network!

19. Lobsang86 Donut Jun 1, 2019

Lobsang86, Jun 1, 2019 :
    It's not the network. I think it's going to get solved by a future YouTube app update. whatever the issue is, there IS an issue and it's interesting that someone like you, with like 8 thousand comments on this forum, is so hostile when a post emerges with people saying they have the exact same problem, you go apeshit. why not try to ask questions and try to help instead.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

20. Lobsang86 Donut Jun 1, 2019

Lobsang86, Jun 1, 2019 :
    wait scratch that last part, just took a little look at your history of posts.. you're just an a-hole, that's all.
    someone having problems with Snapchat notifications not grouping: "Uninstall Snapchat, problem solved". wow what an absolute ***** you are. you are hereby ignored, nothing you say will help anyways.