Kernel Franco VS AK Kernel

1. aravindsbabu
    Gingerbread Jan 11, 2015

aravindsbabu , Jan 11, 2015 :

@chinmaya yep, after using CM12 for a while I flashed AK for multirom capabilities. And all I got was a black screen after booting up..

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

2. guruprasadl
    Gingerbread Jan 11, 2015

guruprasadl , Jan 11, 2015 :
    For what ever it is worth, my device showed very less score when I used the Franco Kernel, it went down to very low of 37K. Now, I switched back to the stock, and the scoring is at 45K (I am using ART instead of Dalvik)

3. Deactivated User
    Jan 11, 2015

4. Rad1
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2015

Rad1 , Jan 11, 2015 :
    Set performance profiles for each app with franco. I get high consistent scores on performance on Franco compared to AK and better battery life. Ak takes so much tweaking and underclocking the balance of performance and battery life becomes almost negligible. AK also gives me a ton of crashes. With franco its all about user experience.

5. guruprasadl
    Gingerbread Jan 11, 2015

guruprasadl , Jan 11, 2015 :
    Can you give me an example on how you do this? Or point at some pages which already describes. Also with Franco (r35), I could really feel the battery draining fast (or am I using a wrong revision?)

6. needa
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2015

needa , Jan 11, 2015 :
    i choose ak because i am on a mixed f2fs/ext4 rom and franco doesn't support it. but out of ak, stock, green, and tyr (saber and stock chain)... ak seems to be the fastest and most responsive. i still don't have to charge every night so i am tickled pink. i am hitting 51k, cold phone of course, without any extra tweaks.

7. aravindsbabu
    Gingerbread Jan 12, 2015

aravindsbabu , Jan 12, 2015 :
    I thought UKM was only needed for controlling the kernel.. Is it necessary to flash it too..?
    BTW i wiped after flashing the kernel...:D

mrsim likes this.
  8. Deactivated User
    Jan 12, 2015

9. Thearcade12
    Honeycomb Feb 3, 2015

Thearcade12 , Feb 3, 2015 :
    Hey, I recently got my opo and I am on stock cm11s 44s.

What version should I install gold one which I think was last updated with v72 or the latest v87 cm12 one which the developer mentioned is compatible with cm11s ?

mrsim likes this.
  10. nunopinho1982
    Lollipop Feb 3, 2015

11. AndyLao1031
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 3, 2015

12. mrsim
    Honeycomb Feb 3, 2015

mrsim , Feb 3, 2015 :
    in your position what i would do would be to download the last kernel before the upgrade to 5.0 which i believe is AK v.77
    also download the latest version that is compatible with 5.0 and try them both out...i personally have not upgraded since 77 because i have an LP build on my oppo find 7 and have stayed on kitkat on my oneplus for the time being..the only reason is that i decided to install 'multirom' and test out all the different 4.4. roms available for the one,as soon as CM12s is released i will flash that to see what it's like and also oneplus's new 'OxygenOS' AOSP rom as well...because i have two oneplus ones so will see which device runs best with the different UI's...:cool:

Thearcade12 likes this.
  13. mrsim
    Honeycomb Feb 3, 2015

mrsim , Feb 3, 2015 :
    UKM is only needed if you want to install 'synapse' to tweak your kernel...otherwise the kernel will just remain as is by the developer,AK just adds his configuration as stock for the kernel and leaves it up to the user if they fancy tweaking it to different parameters

14. itsnguser
    KitKat Feb 3, 2015

itsnguser , Feb 3, 2015 :
    Running CyanogenMod 12 20150203 Nightly with AK.107.OPO.SKULL.CM12 and everything is so freaking smooth. Way better than franco.Kernel so far.

t4ww4b likes this.
  15. Thearcade12
    Honeycomb Feb 3, 2015

Okay I have tried both versions of the ak kernel just to make sure is there any performance difference between them.

Also I have noticed that games lag on the stock kernel, now after trying ak and some other kernels too I have noticed that they are still lagging. Is this normal ?

How can I remove this lag, should I try some other ROM as well.

16. mrsim
    Honeycomb Feb 3, 2015

mrsim , Feb 3, 2015 :
    with 3gb ram no game should lag on your device...go to settings/apps and swipe across until you see your ram stats and see how much is being used by the system...you can also try downloading and installing 'cleanmaster' from playstore this will give you the option to use it's game booster so will free up ram for you to use...i play asphalt 8 with no lag at all on my oneplus,also make sure you clear all recent apps before playing any 3D intensive games,you can also add AK's modded UKM and synapse and tweak the kernel for a game profile as well...it will be more battery draining but will increase performance during any games you play as long as you remember to set the profile in synapse before starting the game

17. Thearcade12
    Honeycomb Feb 3, 2015

Actually I changed the cpu governer to conservative and after that subway surfer is running almost lag free, but there is one another major problem I found while playing that game which is that it skips some of my touch inputs and that makes me think what the heck is going on with my phone.

Finally I am downloading latest cm12 nightly from cyanogen website right now. I will test the same game after a full clean install and see if touch and lag issue persist or not.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

18. mrsim
    Honeycomb Feb 3, 2015

mrsim , Feb 3, 2015 :
    just remember you have to give the kernel at least a day for it to settle on your system to get a true performance from it...just flashing and then checking straight away will give no benefit

19. mrsim
    Honeycomb Feb 3, 2015

mrsim , Feb 3, 2015 :
    err...maybe not following the OP of a thread is dangerous...AK has always said you must flash a stock kernel FIRST before flashing his kernel otherwise you will have problems
    also what else is dangerous is not following the thread once you have started using the kernel so not only can you update it but also for any info about anything else to do with it as well

20. Caser83
    Cupcake Feb 6, 2015

Caser83 , Feb 6, 2015 :
    mrsim: What do you mean when you say "you have to flash a stock kernel first". right now i am running nf 12 6-2-15 version and stock kernel. Cant i just falsh the newsest ak kernel?