Free shipping has never been such a hassle

1. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Oct 7, 2020

The1Lion , Oct 7, 2020 :
    Hello all, just venting a bit due to how OnePlus "applies" free shipping (or doesn't).

So during the "draws" leading up to the launch of 8T I received a voucher for 50% off the buds. Seemed like a decent deal to get them $40 off and for a "Limited Time Offer Free Priority Shipping" as advertised on the Store. I noticed it was not applying the free shipping so I contacted OP support to ask about it.

At first I was being told some goofy thing like it was not available yet or on a specific date so I pointed out that it does not list any of that and even had to provide a screenshot to them of their own store web page o_O

I was then told to check back AFTER I received the device and they would issue the refund. Received it yesterday, contacted OP support again today and now I'm told wait 15 days so the return period has passed. :mad: Really OnePlus?

Just seems a dumb way to do business - I believe the webpage didn't apply the free shipping due to the voucher being applied although I am not 100% sure (I don't think you can combine vouchers but in this case I was not and the free priority shipping was being offered regardless). I just don't see the point in making customers pay for shipping to be refunded later and then telling them to wait even longer.

How am I supposed to recommend OnePlus to friends if this is how OnePlus does business? :confused:

2. drl431
    Nougat Oct 7, 2020

drl431 , Oct 7, 2020 :
    Hi, thanks for the interesting feedback. Using a voucher really shouldn't be so complicated. I too received a similar voucher a few weeks ago, but for 50% off a backpack. Would have gone for it had the black version been available. Kind of glad I didn't settle for the green version now...

Artemus., The1Lion and Bobbie63 like this.
  3. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 7, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 7, 2020 :
    That is a bit ridiculous indeed. Will admit it's not the first place where I heard this happen.

It's the same with the cash back services on some sales. They hope you forget about it.

4. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 7, 2020

Bobbie63 , Oct 7, 2020 :
    I guess we all know the kind of companies that do this. :rolleyes:

Artemus. and Tokolozi like this.
  5. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 7, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 7, 2020 :
    The last one... I've seen it from all brands. Including a Samsung offer right at this moment.

Bosch, aeg, whirlpool, Samsung, dyson.... Seen them all use this tactic. Some of them even with up to 2 months before they pay to back!

Artemus. likes this.
  6. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 7, 2020

Bobbie63 , Oct 7, 2020 :
    But you don't have to wait to ask for you refund, you can fill it out immediately after you received the goods. When you get it, that's a different matter, here it's at least after 30 days

Artemus., drl431 and Tokolozi like this.
  7. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 7, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 7, 2020 :
    True

Artemus. and Bobbie63 like this.
  8. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 7, 2020

Bobbie63 , Oct 7, 2020 :
    It's ridiculous you have to wait until the return period has expired. It's just proof (but I guess people in the USA especially know) just haven't organized their stuff.

Artemus. and Tokolozi like this.
  9. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Oct 7, 2020

The1Lion , Oct 7, 2020 :
    I actually have that one as well - also a 20% off separate voucher.

10. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Oct 7, 2020

The1Lion , Oct 7, 2020 :
    I already set a reminder up ;):D

11. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Oct 7, 2020

The1Lion , Oct 7, 2020 :
    I've seen that but usually in the form of a mail-in-rebate, so you need to get the item so you can provide "proof" of purchase that includes a copy of the receipt (or original) the UPC code from the box, a DNA sample, your mother's maiden name, etc... :p

12. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 7, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 7, 2020 :
    Good! I once forgot to claim my free dust bags for the vaccuum cleaner... Only remembered when I needed them ofc.

13. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 7, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 7, 2020 :
    Don't forget your first born.

Artemus., Bobbie63 and The1Lion like this.
  14. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Oct 7, 2020

The1Lion , Oct 7, 2020 :
    He's just now reaching Teenager so nobody wants to deal with that! :p Maybe I should send him and when they want to return him I'll say "wait until he's 21"

15. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 7, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 7, 2020 :
    True, might be too much of a hassle at that point.
    Would suggest adding a disclaimer that they pay for college tuition when accepting the send-in

16. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Oct 21, 2020

The1Lion , Oct 21, 2020 :
    Yes, it's time again to blow off more steam :p

As previously mentioned above...

I've had the (dis)pleasure of dealing with OP support once again. To summarize:
    • OP offered free priority shipping on Buds for a limited time
    • OP then charged for said free shipping during checkout
    • I contacted OP prior to completing checkout to ask about this
    • OP said "order and we'll refund shipping cost once you receive it" and gave me a reference #
    • Received and contacted OP and was told to wait until the return period had passed (that really shouldn't matter but whatever)
    • Return period has passed, contacted OP again and now it's "escalated" with another 24-48 hours wait to hear back :confused:
    @Pete and @David Y. this is where the company is settling, is doing bad in performance and there is nothing speedy nor smooth about this. Take it as constructive criticism ;)

In the grand scheme of things it is a small amount, but that small amount goes a long way when we talk about the perception of OnePlus being a trustworthy and reliable company. Discussion's with others who ask about OnePlus goes from "I like their products and I haven't had any issues" to "Although I like their products, you really have to hope and pray you NEVER have to deal with their customer support".

I use to warn about customer support back in the OPO days but had thought it had improved - and perhaps it has since you can now actually reach someone, but the end results still seem to be the same - a run around.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020

v1357d11 and Artemus. like this.
  17. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Oct 21, 2020

Horsault , Oct 21, 2020 :
    Thread merged to your own previous one.
    Please refrain from opening several threads on same topic.

18. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Oct 21, 2020

The1Lion , Oct 21, 2020 :
    Must be the cupcake in me ;):p

Y1600027404074 and Artemus. like this.
  19. CharlesFly
    Cupcake Oct 30, 2020

CharlesFly , Oct 30, 2020 :
    I also encountered the same issue.

OnePlus emailed me an offer about OnePlus buds. The offer contains free priority shipping. However, it was NOT TRUE when I added the buds to my shopping cart. I contacted OnePlus customer service. They told me to get the shipping cost refund after the buds is delivered. OK. I accepted it. I contacted OnePlus customer service again after I received the buds. BUT they told me to request the refund after the return period ends (15 days later). Why should they ask the customers to take their error responsibility?! Very BAD shopping experience! OnePlus does not bear the customers in mind!

The1Lion and v1357d11 like this.
  20. v1357d11
    Eclair Nov 1, 2020

v1357d11 , Nov 1, 2020 :
    I agree, it is the same exact story with me. They offered free priority shipping, site didn't allow to use it. I contacted OP CS prior to buying OP buds x2 and they offered different story each time. At first, it was it was "after 15 days we send you the refund" but then "just call us when you get them and we will give refund". Well, I got the buds and called and CS; guy didn't know anything about refund but said that he will "escalate" to an appropriate team and I have refund within 48 hrs the most. Well, guess what... no refund, of course, called again and another rep said that she saw the request but it is not time yet. Well,"it is more than 48 hrs I said" she couldn't respond to that, said just wait. Unclear for how long.
    I can tell you I always dread when I need to deal with OP CS. It is the most incompetent CS I ever dealt with. I tried to hit Carl and Pete on Twitter but no response from them. My family and I have been buying OP phones since the day one(invite 27 for OP1) but got no respect. It is like wild west out there and even more, looks like every CS person invents a new promise(which is lie of course) and runs with it.Even supervisory level sucks big time. I tried to deal with their "Level2 "support( whatever it meant) but the same incompetence. Just said and make me think twice about buying anything from OP. I probably should switch to Samsung as they now offer 3 years of major updates. Shame on you OP

The1Lion likes this.