From 5T to 8T. After three generations! via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green

1. Navieen_N , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Oct 29, 2020 :
    I've been a proud owner of the OnePlus 5T for almost three years. I still remember getting it from first ever sale on the November of 2017. It was one of the best looking and feeling phone of its time. Even after three years of usage, the phone still feels new and fast. It was adequate for my daily usage and the processing power was more than what I needed. I never had the temptation to update my OnePlus 5T until that day. The day I broke the glass on my 5T😭💔. The phone fell straight on its face breaking the front glass of the display and the corner is chipped and has glass fragments in it. Though the touch and display has no problems, I often see shards of glass falling off from the phone which isn't safe for something which is in your pocket for most of the time. I decided it's time to change.

I was initially looking to get an OnePlus 8 as I am a big fan of that curved display. The 8 was indeed a very good pick for my budget as it had everything that I needed and more. As I was reading through endless reviews of the 8, I came across a news about the rumours on the 8T. Since I had a spare phone on me, I decided to wait until the release of the 8T. On October 14, I saw the official unveil of the 8T and I initially thought the 8T wasn't a big upgrade to the 8( later on I realised that I was so wrong 😅). Then I thought may be I should settle on the 8, but then I remembered what happened with my 5T. I also read that curved displays are more susceptible to damage even from small accidental drops. So I made up my mind and decided to go with the 8T.

I ordered the phone through Amazon and it was delivered the very next day. The package was bigger than I expected. I didn't have much expectations during the unboxing, but the phone blew my mind! The aquamarine green color that I went with has a slight bluish tint to it. It isn't super reflective nor too matte. It has a very subtle gloss to it which doesn't attract too much fingerprints. Holding the phone on hand, I realised that it's a bit thicker and heavier than what I am used to (5T is the thinnest flagship made by OnePlus IMO👀). But in-hand, it feels solid.

Holding the power button, the phone came to life greeting me with the Hello screen and I started setting it up. As soon as I touched the screen, I felt that smooth 120 Hz display in action which makes the phone feel blazingly fast. Yes the phone comes out of the box set to 120 Hz. This is a huge upgrade to me personally coming from 60 Hz. The Colors on the display pops and it is one of the best AMOLED panels out there. Personally, I had an issue with the 5T where the screen has a slightly warmer tint. It was showing while editing on Snapseed and Lightroom. But the 8T doesn't have any such issues. The display is spot on! I had an update waiting for me as soon as I finished the setup. It was for the camera, network and battery optimization. I updated the phone before starting to use it as anyone would like a bug free experience in a new device.

The Oxygen OS 11 on top of Android 11 makes the user experience very pleasing and it is good for one handed usage for most of daily tasks. Scrolling on the 120 Hz is phenomenal and no words could describe it until you experience it in person. You would never have the heart to go back to 60 Hz. Oxygen OS 11 also offers a plethora of features such as Zen mode, Game Space, Insight Ambient display etc. They are very intuitive and enhances the user experience.

Charging on the 65W Warp charger is a blissful experience even if you are coming from older OnePlus devices (Dash or Warp 30). It reaches 100% in 40 mins which is the time you'll spend on your morning routines. So you're good to go for the entire day if you just charge it in the morning. Battery life is also very good as I'm getting approximately 5 and a half hours of screen on time until the charge drops to 15%.

Another major area of improvement is on the videography capabilities. Inclusion of portrait video mode, super stable mode, night mode video has made the video side of things very interesting. The edge detection on the portrait video works very well on slow moving and stationary subjects. 4k @ 60 and 1080p @ 240 has made videos so much usable as you could slow the videos on post and it could be stable than most. OIS also works very well. But, I feel the photography side of things could use a little tweaking on the image processing and overall white balance and contrast. The wide angle camera and the main sensor takes exceptional pictures in good lighting, but they struggle from over tinted greeny images on low light. It feels as if they are wearing night vision goggles. I hope this would be fixed on their next update. Inclusion of a macro lens is good, but for macro photography, I feel that you would need atleast a 12MP as the pictures look digitally over-sharpened on the 5MP unit.

Overall, I felt that OnePlus has improved so much over three generations and three years thus staying true to their "Never Settle" motto. They are getting better on optimising the software to make better use of the hardware. Feeling really happy to have upgraded to another OnePlus device.

1603958977747.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020

SeanPlus, drl431 and saroshtalha like this.
  2. kbszh123
    Gingerbread Oct 30, 2020

3. supraket
    Froyo Oct 30, 2020

Navieen_N likes this.
  4. Christoph_Vienna_OP2
    Cupcake Oct 30, 2020

Christoph_Vienna_OP2 , Oct 30, 2020 :
    Same here. Got my 5T in Nov 17 and got my 8T last week. I would be very happy with it, if it wasn't for the continuing 4G network drops......

Navieen_N likes this.
  5. SeanPlus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 30, 2020

SeanPlus , Oct 30, 2020 :
    Really nice review. 🙂

I hadn't seen that bumper case before now - it looks awesome! What's it like from the front?

Navieen_N likes this.

kbszh123 likes this.
  7. kbszh123
    Gingerbread Oct 30, 2020

kbszh123 , via OnePlus 8T , Oct 30, 2020 :
    Bought online or offline? If offline from where?

Navieen_N likes this.

9. Navieen_N , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Oct 30, 2020 :
    🙌 hope they fix the network drops with an update

10. Xpress0
    Eclair Oct 30, 2020

kbszh123 and Navieen_N like this.
  11. Navieen_N , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Oct 31, 2020 :
    Just like a regular bumper case but in a dark green color. It's one of the best looking case I've seen in recent times

kbszh123 likes this.
  13. R1603771350809
    Donut Oct 31, 2020

R1603771350809 , via OnePlus 8T , Oct 31, 2020 :
    If it is during a voice call, likely due to lack of telco VoLTE support that so many OnePlus users are plague by this annoyance

14. X1603141720046
    Froyo Oct 31, 2020

X1603141720046 , Oct 31, 2020 :
    VoLTE works great for me on AT&T but I have no 5G at all. I think OnePlus needs to turn it on! Why are they not doing this on a 5G phone?

Navieen_N likes this.