From Galaxy S7 to Oneplus 6 - My initial thoughts

1. ruffinsky
    Froyo May 25, 2018

ruffinsky , May 25, 2018 :
    Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share my early impressions after switching from the Galaxy S7 to the Oneplus 6.
    I ordered the Oneplus 6 on the 22nd (10 minutes after the official sales begun) and got it next day. Shipping was fast. Very excited to be coming back to Oneplus after previously owning the Oneplus 3.
    So after 2 days of playing with the phone and comparing it to the Samsung, I have found some areas that I think could be improved.

Mind you this is not a rant or anything, Oneplus, in my opinion, is doing a great job and they should keep it up. Just some suggestion based on my personal experience.

Screen - Max Brightness

The OP6 seems to get as bright as the S7 in regular use, but it's no match in direct sunlight. It does that voodoo magic where it cranks up the brightness to 110% and the difference is noticeable.
    Maybe this is something Oneplus can address in future updates. I don't mind the battery drain as long as I can see clearly on the screen.

Screen - Auto Brightness

Ok, I have to admit that this is annoying. On the Galaxy S7, I don't really have to adjust the brightness, ever. None, it just works, not too bright, not too dark. And if I do set it to a level (when auto is enabled), it seems to learn that I like it that way in those conditions and it sticks - which is GREAT.

The OP6 just tries to lower it as much as possible on every damn occasion. It's too aggressive, and even if I do set it manually (which I've done more than 20 times in 2 days), the auto kick in a few minutes later and knocks it back down. Maybe this is just a launch quirk and it will get fixed. But in my opinion, this function should learn based on my usage and set it just the way I like it.

Sound - Notification

Short and sweet. Why is not there an option to set the call volume independently from notifications volume in Oxygen OS? I want calls to be muted but receive notifications, or vice-versa. Don't overthink it, it's just as simple as that.

Sound - Do not disturb

On the S7 you can choose if the LED flashes in DND or not. OP6 does not. I sleep with my phone next to my bed, and the light for me it's annoying before falling asleep. It gets my FOMO going, and I tend to extra check my phone. This is nitpicking, but nonetheless, I think a useful configuration.

Default Gallery App

I know you can download third party apps for this. But I figured I toss it in for good measure. I am a fan of using stock apps for core functions.
    The latest app in the S7 just flies, loading picture, zooming, editing everything.
    The OP6 app is just slow, slow to zoom, slow to scroll, and it takes ages to load a photo (you can see artifacts in the picture before it loads). The speed I need is just not here, not in this app.

That's about it for my initial "review" of the OP6. I really do like it, seems a clear winner, in terms of a 2018 smartphone. I mean the screen alone is as big as the Galaxy S7.

It does not seem like a big upgrade coming from the S7 (because for me it was fast, to begin with) but it cool factor is 100%. The OP6 looks cool feels cool, it's snappy, fast, and having Oxygen OS for a change feels like a breath of fresh air (pun intended), coming from Samsung Experience.

Let me know what are your thought on the above topics.

2. Photoman9988
    KitKat May 25, 2018

Photoman9988 , May 25, 2018 :
    Rule of thumb seems to be that if your current phone is 2+ years old, whether it's a flagship or not, then the OP6 is worth a look.

3. Bill Chiu
    Gingerbread May 25, 2018

Bill Chiu , May 25, 2018 :
    OP5 to OP6

1. very very fast
    2. 256BG, large storage
    3. OIS is great
    4. Big (longer) screen

But i really miss the OP5 front finger print sensor (home key) very much, because it is much easier to unlock app by just placing finger on it. But it is inconvenient to put a finger at the back of the OP6 phone.

4. DARTH 007
    KitKat May 25, 2018

5. Theighlin
    Eclair May 25, 2018

Theighlin , May 25, 2018 :
    You will get android 9, which comes with improved auto-brightness, poweree by maching learning, it learns which brightness level you want according to the lux you get and other smart things, so just wait for september for the auto brightness problem.

6. determinator
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 25, 2018

determinator , May 25, 2018 :
    Not a massively enthusiastic review of the 6 considering you are comparing a Feb 2016 device to a May 2018 one! [e]1f609[/e]

Terryruiz likes this.
  7. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow May 25, 2018

pa5t1s , May 25, 2018 :
    Thanks for sharing. Interesting read ;)

8. ilovesoneplus
    Jelly Bean May 25, 2018

Terryruiz likes this.
  9. Amapocho
    Cupcake May 25, 2018

10. F_Shiva_Tink_jzUA
    Froyo May 25, 2018

F_Shiva_Tink_jzUA , May 25, 2018 :
    use face unlock way too easy than finger

11. Bill Chiu
    Gingerbread May 25, 2018

Bill Chiu , May 25, 2018 :
    "Locked App" cannot be unlocked by face detection, only by fingerprint or draw.

12. ruffinsky
    Froyo May 25, 2018

Yes, you can. But the idea was it could be better.

13. ruffinsky
    Froyo May 25, 2018

ha ha! I only got the S7 in May 2017 to replace the OP3. And now back to Oneplus. Looking forward to a good experience

determinator likes this.
  14. Exia_97
    Froyo May 25, 2018

Exia_97 , May 25, 2018 :
    I got the s7 edge in 2016 and have been waiting for oneplus to release something worth it to upgrade from. Nothing worth it yet. Hopefully the 6t will have enough.