Fun with Dad Challenge

1. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member Jun 16, 2020

Zach X. , Jun 16, 2020 :
    Father'sDay-Banner-04.png

Dear Friends,

As exciting as the experience brought by the OnePlus 8 Series is, we encourage all of you to spend more time with family while having fun with your new device! That’s why we're launching the “Fun with Dad” challenge for this upcoming Father’s Day.

How it works:

Option 1:

Take a picture or video featuring you and your dad/kids doing something fun together using mobile phone. You can be creative! All ways of creation that involve dad/kids are welcome. For example, taking a funny photo with/of dad/kids, making a video with dad/kids, teaching dad/kids to play mobile game, battling with dad/kids in the game, learning dad’s/kid’s favorite game, teach dad/kids how to take photos or any other fun activities.

Option 2:

Take a picture or video featuring yourself doing something for your dad/kids. It would be great to listen to the stories between you and you dad/kids. For example, say something to your dad/kids, prepare a father’s day surprise for your dad, make a gift for dad/kids, describe something memorable about your dad/kids, or show a photo of your dad and tell us the story of it.
    • You can choose either of the option to make a picture or video. In both cases, remember the content needs to be relevant to your dad or your kids.
    • It would be great to feature the OnePlus 8 device in the production, however it is not mandatory.
    • Our team will review all submissions and select the top works. Typically, top works are the ones with funny content, good shooting quality, and consistency with the theme. Even better if they feature a OnePlus device.

Specs for video:
    • Length: Less than 90 seconds
    • Resolution: (HD) 1920 x 1080 minimum or (4K) 3840 x 2160 maximum
    • Ratio: 16:9 - Horizontal
    • Frame Rate: 25/30/60 are all fine
    Specs for photo:
    • No specific specs, any photo taken with a cell phone or camera will do.

Timeline:

• Posting on this thread before Jun 21st, 11:59PM EST

Prize:
    • Top 1: Double Explorer backpack + Double S’well Bottle
    • Top 2-5: Double Bullets Wireless Z
    • Top 6-10: Double OnePlus 8 Series Limited Edition T-shirt
    5d2866aaN1cb35a41.jpg!q70.jpg Explorer Backpack.png BWZ.png

Terms and Conditions:
    • Standard terms and conditions apply.
    • As a participant, you agree to provide OnePlus with the free right to use and publish any production materials (video, pictures, articles, etc.) that are generated and posted during the time period.
    • OnePlus reserves all rights to this event. The views and opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of OnePlus.
    • We will announce the chosen winners 10 days after the deadline.
    Winner Announced
    Top 1:
    @yashonagori
    Top 2-5:
    @Overzee
    @samyakjain1004
    @PuCiNhOOO
    @Batman360
    Top 6-10:
    @AbhilashSaikia
    @gaster
    @otto2
    @The1Lion
    @jaivaghela

Click here to see the Father's Day mash-up video

2. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jun 18, 2020

Stickied Post
    The1Lion , Jun 18, 2020 :
    Recent pictures of our "stay-at-home" Summer. Didn't want the boys inside 24/7 playing on gadgets, so setup the inflatable pool and then the tent for some family time outdoors :D

We need a larger pool! :p My older son is a bit of a cheat, trying to mess up my Qbitz so he can win! o_O He must get that from his mother :rolleyes: IMG_20200614_154405_001.jpg IMG_20200617_203838_001.jpg

3. otto2
    Photography Expert Jun 19, 2020

Stickied Post
    otto2 , Jun 19, 2020 :
    Hello @Zach X.
    What a wonderful idea.
    Today my father came i to my shop for some reason, and i showed him some of the features of his Oneplus 7 Pro.
    He seems to like the phone, He was using my old Oneplus 3 before.
    IMG_20200619_122354_001.jpg
    Fortunately he never stopped learning in his life so he can work with modern technology as well as with older tech.
    Picture was shot on my Oneplus 8 Pro, Front cam.

4. yashonagori
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 20, 2020

Stickied Post
    yashonagori , Jun 20, 2020 :
    Thank you for this wholesome contest Zach! My dad's a pretty busy guy, but I had fun making this video with and for him. Hope everyone enjoys as much as I did!

5. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Jun 20, 2020

Stickied Post
    Overzee , Jun 20, 2020 :
    Hey @Zach X. thanks again for this great contest! Here's my entry. I've put some video's and pictures together and made a 90 seconds video, I hope you (all) like is as much as I do. It was fun creating something for my dad with our young baby son Finn.

Tomorrow we'll visit my parents for Father's Day, I'll post a picture/video of my father receiving his gift's.

Father's Day update:
    Went over to my parents to hand over the painting which me and my son made, hey was very happy with it. Promised a nice spot in the house!
    IMG_20200621_170827_001.jpg
    Unfortunately we're not allowed to be within 1,5 meters of each other since we're not sharing the same household. So no pictures of the two and/or three of us together...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020

6. Batman360
    Lollipop Jun 20, 2020

Stickied Post
    Batman360 , Jun 20, 2020 :
    Heyy @Zach X. , first of all I'm really thankful for this thread. The time spent with my dad is really wonderful, he's a busy man but he took out time to be in the video and play games with me, learn guitar, also my younger sister tagged along, my whole family was involved in this. There are 3 phones in the house and all three of them were used to shoot the videos. It was really fun editing it, I was constantly smiling while editing it. So here's the video, I hope you guys like it as much as I did, that is alottt😉😊

Fun facts behind the scene:

As I already said that my dad cut my hair in the lockdown and I didn't take a video then but when I told my dad that we missed that chance, he ran...took out the trimmer and said come let's shoot this video😂 He started trimming my hair again for real loool😂😂 And the suspenseful music was inserted because I love my hair and I didn't want my dad to mess with them😂 But damn he really cut my hair better than the barber himself 😍🔥

Watch this video with earphones on for more fun😉

Also some photos of the cake I made for my dad with oreos:

IMG_20200620_122730_001.jpg

IMG_20200620_123839_001.jpg

IMG_20200620_124753_001.jpg

IMG_20200620_125005_001.jpg

IMG_20200620_205538_001.jpg

IMG_20200620_205552_001.jpg

All the photos are taken with OnePlus 7 Pro, edited in Adobe Lightroom and compressed by YaImCo 😊

Stay Safe!
    Never Settle ❤️

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020

7. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Jun 20, 2020

Stickied Post
    gaster , Jun 20, 2020 :
    Well. My daddy is a bit old (78) but he was always full athletic and energetic when he was young. He is still walking a lot every day by covering 10km.

We just came from the beach because the day was great and we are brave enough to take photos while we are dirty and with a sun cream in our skins :D:oops::)

I hope you enjoy this :oops:

Screenshot_20200620-184832.jpg

Screenshot_20200620-184319.jpg

Screenshot_20200620-185248.jpg

Cheers :D

8. jaivaghela
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 20, 2020

Stickied Post

9. samyakjain1004
    Froyo Jun 21, 2020

Stickied Post
    samyakjain1004 , Jun 21, 2020 :
    This father's day, my father and I tried to reverse our roles and I gave him a piggy ride like he used to give me in my childhood. It is difficult to convince my father but somehow I did that! Thank you, @Zach X. for this fun challenge! I also gifted him with a new Oneplus 8 to make this day a memorable one.

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.55.37 PM.jpeg

Dear Papa,

"A bond between a son and his father is quite underrated"

There are times when we don’t speak, there are times when we just don’t communicate, there are times where our ego clash and mom tries to mend things up between us but papa deep inside I know how much you love me and I am sure the day when the world will be against me you would be standing beside, holding my hand and telling me how to deal with it. I still remember how I hated you when you made a decision to shift me in a hostel for my college but now I understand the importance of it. You always told me to do what’s right! supported me in each and every decision I made, I can never forget those sleepless nights you spent with me. I love your curiosity about learning new tech things with me! I love how you get excited by taking a three-finger screenshot that I taught you! I loved your expression when you actually showed me that you discovered double-tap unlock, I was smiling when you started using the alert slider to mute your calls but papa in this materialistic world I just want to thank you and respect you for each and everything you did for me! I may not be able to express my feelings like other people here! But I know what you mean for me!

Papa, at-last I want to thank you for turning your little boy into a real man! Love you!

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.55.22 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.56.25 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.56.52 PM.jpeg

I also made a video for my father and mother as it was their 25th anniversary that was the least I could do during this pandemic situation

10. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2020

Liehjan , Jun 16, 2020 :
    This thread made me tear up, I lost my dad to cancer a few months back... Great old memories came up in my head when reading this...

Will see what you guys with dads and kids come up with!:)

11. Batman360
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2020

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020

12. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jun 16, 2020

Dresa91 , Jun 16, 2020 :
    Hey @Zach X. :)
    great contest:)

My father lives 150 km away, this will be difficult in everyday life:)
    good luck to everyone and have fun:)

My deepest condolences!

13. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jun 16, 2020

the_o2 , Jun 16, 2020 :
    If I ask my father to do something, he will surely cut my hair, which I grew in lockdown. :p:p
    So no thanks ;), looking forward for entries.
    Best of luck to all :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020

14. Batman360
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2020

Batman360 , Jun 16, 2020 :
    Mine cut my hair yesterday, too bad didn't make a video or clicked some photos 🙈🙈

15. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jun 16, 2020

the_o2 , Jun 16, 2020 :
    Oh, you missed an opportunity :p:p, no matters you will come with sometimes better one :cool:

16. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Jun 16, 2020

Mr. BG , Jun 16, 2020 :
    I'm sorry to hear that, but it's nice you have so many great memories to remember him by. :)

17. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Jun 16, 2020

camohan , Jun 16, 2020 :
    We usually play with his new bus at night before sleeping, I will try to get a slow-mo video for this contest.

18. S1592322323894
    Cupcake Jun 16, 2020

Attached Files:

19. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 16, 2020

20. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jun 16, 2020

21. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 16, 2020

22. K1580062400373
    Cupcake Jun 16, 2020

23. X1587444392346
    Donut Jun 16, 2020

24. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 16, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer , Jun 16, 2020 :
    @Zach X. Thanks for the awesome contest.

[​IMG]

This is my dad, with his cat Betty (she doesn't love being held, but don't worry, she's not as upset as she looks).

My dad is completely blind in his right eye (the one that is open), and his left eye is partially sewed closed for protection, severely reducing his vision.

He was hit by a 18-wheel tractor trailer in 1982, leaving him in this condition. He has lived an incredibly resilient life since than. He lives alone, and gets by with the tiny amount of vision he has, along with help from his friends and family, when he'll take it. His eye is sewed closed to prevent infection, as he has no feeling in the eye, and cannot blink the lid.

I saw an article from the University of Michigan detailing a potential surgery that could help restore sensation in his right eye, allowing it to be opened. I reached out to them and set up an appointment, and a couple months ago he went to Michigan and received life-changing news. The new surgery is possibly not even necessary, as a new medication has shown promise in restoring the nerves that provide feeling in his eye. I'm specifically talking about the nerves that let you know when to blink, and let you know when there is something in your eye.

This new medicine is called Oxervate; it has a good possibility of restoring the feeling in my dad's eye, making it safe to have the eye re-open fully, instead of the small crack he currently has to live with. This will effectively turn the 5% vision he's been living with for 38 years into 40% vision (or almost full vision in one eye).

If the Oxervate doesn't work, than the new surgery corneal neurotization (replacing the dead nerve in the cornea with one from somewhere else in the body), will become an option.. but our hopes are high for the Oxervate.

At the beginning of July, he will have his eye reopened, to allow him to use the Oxervate eye drop. He will have to use drops and coverings constantly to avoid the risk of his eye becoming dried out and infected. As he uses the Oxervate eyedrop each day, he will know it is working, if he starts regaining feeling in his eye.

If the Oxervate does not work after several weeks, he will have to have the eye re-sutured, to make it more safe for him to go outside without risk. This will be the first time the sutures have ever been reversed, since the accident happened, which is exciting by itself. All of his doctors before now have told him it's not worth the risk of forgetting to tend to the eye, which is really easy when you have no sensation, so they haven't even reopened to for examination purposes.

He is taking the risk now because the doctors I found in Michigan reassured him that although the past advice from his doctors to keep it closed is valid, the risk is greatly reduced if the opening is done concurrently with a therapy to restore the nerves (the Oxervate, or potentially a surgery).

Either way, in July, my dad will regain some of his eye sight for the first time in 38 years.. Growing up, even when I was super young, I did everything I could to help him cope with his disability. I am so grateful that into adulthood, I'm able to help him potentially not have to live with the frustration and limits any longer.

I am honored to be able to share this excitement with the OnePlus community during this Father's day season.

Can't wait to see what other people post.

25. souravpathak07
    Froyo Jun 17, 2020

souravpathak07 , via OnePlus 7 , Jun 17, 2020 :
    This going to be a exciting challenge. Through my photo clicked by oneplus i'm trying to show Indian culture and family traditions....
    1592349595998.jpg
    Celebrating festival and taking blessings of my parents.

26. puccellino
    KitKat Jun 17, 2020

puccellino , Jun 17, 2020 :
    That is a lovely picture, and heart warming story. Its long, but very detailed and interesting. We all have ups and down in life, and how we cope with them, makes us the person we are. Your story tells as much about you, as it does your father, and the level of positivity you both have. My father too lost his sight for different reasons, and I know sometimes he is sad about this, but I'll read this to him, it inspired me, and him too I hope.

I wish your father the best of results in July. I would be interested to read how he got on with the treatment. Perhaps you could write an update, or make a thread about it.

A tickle behind the ear for your family cat....he looks as if he needs it.... :screamcat::smilecat::hearteyecat:

Thanks for sharing your story in such detail.

27. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 17, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 17, 2020 :
    Thank you so much. Ill be sure to provide an update.

I hope your dad takes something from being read my story... I really appreciate your kind words.

I would be lying if I said Betty was my family's cat though, she is really just my dad's (my parents separated 12 years ago, when I was 10, and hes had her since than). He didn't live far away (only like fifteen minutes), so to Betty, I was more of a weekly visitor than family. I will absolutely post updates as we get them.

My dad is a very independent person; he rather walk up the street alone, risking tripping, or bumping into things, than have someone help him (usually, he'd accept my help sometimes)... Generally he makes it fine, and proves his independence despite his limited eye sight (taking taxis, or getting rides and stuff because he cant drive). It is super exciting to see him not only be independent, but also have the resources (vision) to do so without the frustration of needing to get rides places, and risk walking into things. He sadly has never been great at handling that frustration. He can see things when he holds them very close to his eye, and holds the eye open, so that is what preserved his independence. I am sorry to hear about your dad losing his vision. I hope he is doing well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020

28. puccellino
    KitKat Jun 17, 2020

puccellino , Jun 17, 2020 :
    Thanks, my father is just as independent as yours, he lost his through aggressive macular degeneration, quite late in life, and whilst he laments the loss of his driving licence, he is learning to cope.

Take care my friend, enjoy fathers day!

:)