Funmunke's LG V30 Review

1. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 17, 2017

funmunke , Nov 17, 2017 :
    The LG V30 is the best phone LG has ever made. So…I should buy this phone right?

Here is the TLDR version of this review – DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!!!

There. Now I guess I should explain that.

HARDWARE: To put it simply, the V30 is boring when it comes to hardware. They did not thing to stand apart from the crowd. I’m not kidding when I say I could cut and paste the hardware from a slew of other, high end phones, and you wouldn’t know. If they had changed anything, I’d mention it here. Since they didn’t, go look up every other major player. That’s what you get.

DISPLAY: Two things to talk about here. First the format. The 18X9 and tiny bezels make for a really impressive display. And those tiny bezels…as soon as you slap a case on this sucker, you won’t give a crap. At least you still have the format.

The other part of the display is what people have been talking about. It’s got an OLED! Woooooo! We get deeper blacks, rich color, and an experience that’s far better than LCD, right? Sure…if you bought a Samsung or iPhone X. This display sucks more than harlot at a frat party. It’s a dumpster fire of a display that’s only been surpassed in crappiness by the Pixel 2 XL screen. The big problem is its range.

If you buy this phone, do yourself a favor, turn off the auto brightness, set the level to at least 50% and never put it lower than 40%. Once you get to the low end, the screen becomes almost unusable. For example, the contrast becomes so horrific in low light, that Alto’s Adventure becomes unplayable during the night scenes. You seriously can no longer see the game. The same is true of any movie or show with a night scene.

Even at high brightness levels, the screen is prone to streaking, like I haven’t seen since Samsung’s first attempts at using AMOLED and that was years ago. This screen is just awful.

CAMERA: Hey, this is where the phone is going to excel right? Nope. The problem is, the G6 is just as good when it comes to the camera. The hardware is great. The use of a dual camera is arguably the best in the industry. The flexibility this camera offers is amazing, but the software craps all over the hardware. They over process everything. The HDR is especially bad. For example, a big V formation of geese were flying towards me. The sky was clear and blue. I snapped a photo. Nothing. I figured I didn’t line it up right, so I snapped another. Nothing. By then it was too late to snap a third, so I really zoomed in and scanned the second photo. I found the geese…or what was left of them. They had been turned into a distorted line that the software had edited out. I now leave the HDR off, unless I think I need it.

Another big problem with the camera is its speed. It’s one of the slowest cameras I’ve used in a while. The HTC U11 and the Samsung S8 are much faster.

SOFTWARE: LG has bad software. They’ve been slowing getting better, but at times it’s a total mess. The default launcher on this phone, is without a doubt, one of the worst Android launchers on the market. It’s a total iOS rip off, that doesn’t even have an app drawer. LG knows this, and that’s why when you boot the phone for the first time, they ask you if you want an app drawer. The app drawer launcher is decent, but the settings menu and default icons are atrocious. Thankfully both can be tweaked through settings.

There are some little touches to this launcher that are nice. Here are some of the standouts.

1. The floating task bar is useful and minimalists will love it.

2. You can double tap to wake AND put the screen to sleep (hear that HTC?).

3. Facial recognition unlocks the phone in less than a second.

4. A number of variations have been added to the always on screen.

5. They added task bars to the always on screen. Just swipe at the top to get them.

Then there is the bloat problem. If you buy this phone from a carrier, it is BLOATED. There will be tons of crap you don’t want. Thankfully I’m on T-Mobile, so I only ended up with about ten apps I don’t want and can’t delete. The number is much worse on Verizon.

Out of the ten apps I mentioned, only three are T-Mobile apps – ID, Visual Voicemail, and Mobile Hotspot. All the other unwanted apps, are LG apps. They have a useless app for everything and I don’t know if anyone uses them. Let’s list them off.

1. Mail

2. LG Switch

3. Tasks

4. File Manager

5. Clock

6. Downloads

7. Messaging

8. Calendar

9. Music

10. Smart Cleaning

11. HD Audio Recorder

12. Gallery

Most of those are duplicates of Google apps. Sorry, let me rephrase that. ALL of those are moldy turds when compared to Google apps that also come installed on the phone, or the apps you are going to install to replace them.

AUDIO: Now this is where LG is going to rule, right? Well…they do have a headphones jack and offer high def audio. That’s really night, but my Galaxy S7 Edge will actually tune an audio profile to my hearing. When you have partial hearing loss, that’s a MUCH bigger impact than what LG did. On top of that, they only offer audio profiles for the plug in headphones. If they offered profiles for BT speakers too, that would be impressive. Considering all of that, the audio features are nice to have instead of a need to have.

PRICE: And then there is the price. LG knew they made their best phone ever and priced it as such. They even priced it less than the Note 8. Only one problem. The Note 8 is worth the extra money. The V30 is not worth what you pay for it. It’s not even close. If it had a screen like the Note 8, camera performance like the U11, and software like the OP5, then it would be worth it. It just fails in too many areas to demand the price they are charging.

The odd thing is, I like this phone and do not want to switch from it, but it took a lot of effort to get this phone to the point where I like it. It took more setup than any other phone I’ve ever used.

Overall, do not buy this phone. I cannot recommend it on any level. If you want the best dual camera combo on the market, buy the G6, it’s a lot less and has a better screen. If you want the most premium experience, but the Note 8. If you want beauty, low bloat, and a decent camera, but the U11. If you want bang for the buck, check out the new OnePlus 5T. It’s what the 5 should have been.

2. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 17, 2017

3. varma246
    Lollipop Nov 17, 2017

varma246 , Nov 17, 2017 :
    Thanks for the honest review, munke:)

pa5t1s, funmunke and ChrisTerp like this.
  4. Cosmos_NT
    KitKat Nov 17, 2017

pa5t1s, funmunke and agoinfly like this.
  5. agoinfly
    Marshmallow Nov 17, 2017

agoinfly , Nov 17, 2017 :
    Great job!

Totally agree here
    You deserve to review the OP5T!

6. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Nov 17, 2017

ChrisTerp , Nov 17, 2017 :
    Thanks Munke. Where is the harlot you mention? :p;)

Have a good weekend :)

pa5t1s, varma246 and funmunke like this.
  7. SJBoss
    Lollipop Nov 17, 2017

SJBoss , Nov 17, 2017 :
    *Buy the Note 8* typo :rolleyes:
    you "HURTED" my feelings again

btw do I disagree to you on this? No!
    do I have a slightly different opinion on something? Yes

Camera :

Videography is what V30 all about, when it comes to photography V30 is as good as any other 2017 devices,

Hardware:

well yea it's * insert same same but different but still same gif here* that's how every 2017 Android device is :rolleyes:
    (except Razor phone, Courageous Really)
    what's the difference between S8 and Note 8? size? S Pen? :rolleyes: targeting a different audience? so is V30 get this? :p

pa5t1s and funmunke like this.
  8. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 17, 2017

Everything wrong with the camera in this phone can be patched out, except one thing.

The front facing camera is not good. It also doesn't have a flash. Not good for conference calls.

Instead of a flash the brighten the screen to max and turn it white.

varma246, pa5t1s, meatandy and 2 others like this.
  9. sfomin
    Nougat Nov 17, 2017

10. hotsauce
    Lollipop Nov 17, 2017

hotsauce , Nov 17, 2017 :
    My overall feeling is that this phone had the chance to be great, but LG failed at software and quality control department. The good news is a lot of these issue are fixable via software updates, the bad news is that who knows when that will be and at $800 it is NOT a cheap phone, just slightly cheaper than other flagships. I think in a few months when LG fix those issues via updates and the price of the phone drop (as with most lg phones), this phone will be a great value. I really like it as it feels really great in my hand when I held it.

agoinfly, varma246, pa5t1s and 2 others like this.
  11. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 17, 2017

You're using it without protection, aren't you?

:)

12. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 17, 2017

meatandy , Nov 17, 2017 :
    Here I thought you were tagging me. :eek::p
    Nice easy reading review , you should try writing some books.;)
    Thanks for saving me too years of frustration.:)

varma246, pa5t1s and funmunke like this.
  13. ajshanker
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 17, 2017

ajshanker , Nov 17, 2017 :
    "sucks more than a harlot at a frat party"
    lol man, nice honest review.
    I wish people come up with user reviews more of their phone There are many things reviewers give a miss.
    I had some idea about v30 from the reviews online .
    I 'thought' even if it did not have everything to go for, atleast it's got a decent camera and audio dac.
    Shattered perceptions.
    Can you tell a little more about the video recording feature on this phone as that is what they have emphasised on with 'v'.
    I thought the various options on the camera software allowed even noobs to create a creative photograph and video.
    PS: why did you not apply for the op5t LAB testing? [e]1f602[/e]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

pa5t1s and funmunke like this.
  14. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 17, 2017

I've only done one video so far and have not pushed it yet. It's getting a big workout in January when I'm hiking the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

I can tell you that it's extremely easy to switch from photo to video. The did an awesome job with that. Also manual mode for both video and photo is very good.

I hammered the camera for its processing. That's what sucks. However, you get a ton of modes that go beyond tgec norm and give you incredible flexibility.

pa5t1s likes this.
  15. hotsauce
    Lollipop Nov 17, 2017

hotsauce , Nov 17, 2017 :
    lol yeah I don't like to use any protection. So all these talk about FaceID and where the fingerprint scanner is would not affect me at all :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

funmunke, agoinfly and pa5t1s like this.
  16. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Nov 17, 2017

funmunke and pa5t1s like this.
  17. WorldPeace.4.ever
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2017

18. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Nov 17, 2017

pa5t1s , Nov 17, 2017 :
    Best review ever @funmunke, since YouTube and YouTuber exist. And I really mean it.
    Because I know you're buying your own devices, this review smells honesty and relevance. Good job.
    PS: I totally dislike LG products, so I won't add anything ;)

remedy, funmunke and varma246 like this.
  19. funmunke
    Marshmallow Nov 17, 2017

That's why OnePlus will never pick me for the peer review program. They wouldn't want my honest opinion. They want a glorified fluffer.

pa5t1s and remedy like this.
  20. remedy
    KitKat Nov 17, 2017