Funmunke's LG V60 Review

1. funmunke
    Marshmallow Mar 30, 2020

funmunke , Mar 30, 2020 :
    Every now and then you see a phone and you think, “What are they thinking?” The LG V60 ThinQ 5G This Name Is Too God Dam Long For a Phone is one of those phones. It’s a phone that’s going to quickly drop off the face of the Earth due to a few really bad decisions.

The first issue I need to mention is the fact that you cannot get this phone unlocked. If you want it in the US you have to get in bed with one of the carriers. I guess on the plus side, if you get it from T-Mobile, you can get a buy one get one free deal. This is not their famous – activate a new line – deal, it’s a pretty straight up BOGO. The only thing close to a catch is that you have to use their installment plan.

I’m going to start on the other bad decision.

SOFTWARE

Software wise LG is suffering from cranial rectal inversion. For everything they do right, they royally screw something up. They commit two big sins. The first one is that they have not updated their parts of their software in years. For example, it warns you that you cannot remove the battery. The last time you could remove the battery was in the LG G5. I think you can get rid of that message. It’s been years. They added a dedicated assistant button but not the ability to remap it to something useful.

The launcher is a cesspool of a launcher. It’s god awful. You don’t need to look any further than the app drawer. It’s the worst app drawer I’ve ever seen. It lets you group up apps if you want, but if you don’t you are stuck with an app drawer that scrolls horizontally by page. You can sort it by install date (who the hell does that?) or alphabetically. That sounds great, but if you download a new app, it’s no longer sorted. Why would you adopt this, when the default is so much better? Because you can make it even worse! If you pick the app drawer, they give you an app drawer icon that you cannot get rid of, despite the fact that the Android 10 gestures are in place, so you can just swipe up to get the app drawer. And, it gets worse!

How could it possibly get worse? If you have the dual screen case, you can’t really use a different launcher. You are locked into launcher hell. Now, you’d think that with feedback, maybe LG will update it. They haven’t removed the battery warning in four years. It’s not going to happen.

Their horrible UI is also very apparent when you use the settings. The settings are a mess. It’s hard to find the settings you want and there are some missing.

It’s hard to mention software without mentioning the bloatware situation. It’s not the worst I’ve seen, but it could be much better. There are a few T-Mobile apps that cannot be uninstalled, but there is a good chance they already use them. It comes with more T-Mobile apps but it does let you uninstall them.

LG apps are another story. You get stuck with a bunch you do not want and might not use. Seriously, I do not want your LG Pay, LG Health, and LG App Store. You are not Apple, Google, or Samsung. You are too small to justify those. Best case, you can disable some of them, worst case you are stuck. Their messages app is another example of how backwards LG is. I might consider using it, if one, it didn’t suck, and two it actually used the same tech as Google Messages. I can’t fault them too much on their messaging app. OnePlus makes the same annoying mistake. Both also have their own gallery app, which has always driven me nuts. You really think your crappy gallery app is better than Google Photos or even Amazon Photos? I’m not even going to talk about the game mode app.

There are a few places the software is decent. One is when it comes to the dual screen. It’s very useful and works well. I’ll get into that in its own section. Another area is a simple thing. You get an FM receiver on this phone. That might sound dumb, but in truth, It’s a simple thing all phones are capable of. Most makers do not include it because they have no way accessing an antenna for it, since they did away with the headphones jack. I know people like to claim that no one listens to the radio anymore. That’s just not true. There are still many times when having an FM receiver in your phone is handy. I’ve been to many conventions where they broadcast on a local FM frequency so it’s easier to hear the program or to make announcements.

One small thing that LG left in is the swipe to the left for your Google feed. At least they did that right.

The auto brightness is crap, but it’s crap in Oxygen OS too. I don’t use it in either one because it’s always too dark and you can’t adjust the starting point in either one.

HARDWARE

This is why you buy an LG. The build is excellent and they don’t make excuses. Oh, I’m sorry, we can’t add a micro SD slot, headphones jack, or wireless charging, because people don’t use those anymore or they are a subpar experience. Really OnePlus and most other makers, because LG just did it and came in at a lower price than Samsung and Apple. It’s really nice having an SD card and headphones jack again. Along with the headphones jack you get Hi-Fi Quad DAC which works well, but is finally being surpassed by the super high end, software driven headphones like Sony’s WF-1000XM3s.

The wireless charging works great and after going from a OnePlus 7 Pro, it’s surprising how much I missed it. If you want to charge with a wire, they provide a usb C to C cord with an outlet plug. That has fast charging and can fill up the 5000mah battery quite quickly.

The issues LG had with their POLED screens is gone. Back in the day, if the brightness was turned all the way down, some things were impossible to see. That’s been corrected. LG lets you change the color mode, but you’ll never get it over the top like you can in Oxygen OS, with almost extreme colors.

PERFORMANCE

The performance is good, but not fantastic. The OnePlus 7 Pro with an older processor feels faster and smoother. Then again, the OnePlus 7 Pro also has a better solid state drive and a year of updates to optimize it.

The battery life is excellent, but with a 5000mah battery, it should be. That considered, it should get better as they rollout bug fixes.

Basically, when it comes to performance, it can do pretty much anything you want without much lag,

DUAL SCREEN

I’m going say something out there – LG does the Foldable / Dual Screen thing better than anyone. They took a non-flashy sensible approach and the result is something I’m not worried about breaking. The only drawback here is, to use the dual screen functionality you need their dual screen case. It works well and you can flip it all the way around. Doing that turns off the dual screen automatically. The odd thing about the case is the power supply. You have to use a magnetic adapter. It works and lets you even transfer data. I’m sure they did this to save space.
    IMG_20200330_111936.jpg
    the dual screen

You have a floating tool for using the dual screen. You move apps back and forth, turn off either display, and even extend the screen for certain apps. That might sound good, but it’s actually pretty useless. The extended app is broken up by big old black bezels.
    IMG_20200330_111955.jpg
    extended app

When closed, there is a small third screen that shows the time and gives icons for notifications. This is okay, but it’s a little lacking. I wish it was bigger and functioned more like an always on display. Instead is monotone and boring.
    IMG_20200330_112030.jpg
    the third screen

The case offers good protection for the back, but I look at the front and wonder what they were thinking. They really went for looks over protection. The whole front is a piece of glass that you can scratch up or shatter, if you drop it,
    IMG_20200330_112050.jpg
    the back of the case

DESIGN

Bust me out of bran! I want the most boring thing I can find! Never mind I found it! This phone has a very boring design. There is no curved glass on the screen or sexiness. It’s a metal frame with curved, colored glass on the back (dark blue if you bought the one with the case from T-Mobile. White if you do not want the case) and your screen on the front. The headphones jack is on the bottom opposite of a bland speaker. You get four buttons and will only use three of them. If you got the blue one, you get a gold frame.
    IMG_20200330_112619.jpg
    IMG_20200330_112643.jpg

They went with a tear drop front facing camera. While I really like the OnePlus 7 Pros popup camera, it always worried me a little. It seemed like it was going to fail at some point. If I don’t get a popup cam, tear drop is my next choice. I really don’t like the look of the button hole.

CAMERA

Before I get too deep into this one, I’m going to say that there is potential. The hardware is good. Right now the software is the failing point.

The main shooter acts as the normal and telephoto lens. That might sound bad, but the resolution is so high it doesn’t matter. They pin down the regular shots and crop the telephoto so you get close to the same final resolution. I love LG for being one of the first to offer a wide angle lens, and it’s still here in all it’s glory.
    20200328_131215.jpg
    combo of night mode and telephoto

Most shots turn out good. Even the night shots are serviceable. The real place where this camera fails in when it comes to color accuracy. I punished it right out of the gate with an Arizona sunset. The Mi 9, P20 Pro, and 7 Pro all tackle this subject without any big issues. They manage to capture color that is fairly close. The V60 consistently converts pink and red to orange and I can’t find any way to adjust this.
    20200328_185203.jpg
    not even close - this was pink and red

There is also a crappy AI built into the camera. It wants to be the one in the P20 Pro and on, but can’t even come close to being that useful. It automatically picks the scene for you. You can shut it off, but then you can’t pick the scene manually, unless you go into the fairly impressive full manual mode.

They give you a bunch of filters that I never use, but they also give you slow-mo, panorama, 3D sticker, AR Sticker, and a few more.
    20200330_114723.jpg
    the front facing camera is very accurate

If they correct the color problem, this will be worthy camera. I don’t think it will ever match what you find in the P20 Pro or 7 Pro, but it will be very good.

Now if you want to talk about video, this is possibly the best video I’ve ever seen in a camera. I’m not going to use the 8K. I have nothing that is even capable of displaying that. 4K is a stretch for me. I only have one TV that can display that. That being said the video controls are very good. HDR10+ is an option, but the better options are the sound options. They offer some impressive modes like Voice Bokeh which reduces background noise and focuses on the subject. For you freaks out there, they have an ASMR mode.

For both video and photo, there are full blown manual modes that work very well. Considering the limits of the regular mode, the manual mode might become my default.

CONCLUSION

This is a niche phone that is being handcuffed by it’s carrier only offerings. The lack of colors is a bummer. If you want the case you only have one option and this phone without the case is really not worth it.

With a few software adjustments, this could be a really good phone, but LG is one of the worst when it comes to software updates. I might see Android 11 before 2022, but that’s not a guarantee.

Price wise, this isn’t a bad option for a phone with options like the ones this has. What other flagship is offering a micro SD card and headphone jack? The price point is also rivaling the price point OnePlus is getting close to, but I really doubt the next OnePlus is going to have a micro SD card, headphone jack, FM receiver, and HD audio.

Still I don’t see this being anything more than a niche phone. Another LG phone to be forgotten.

2. funmunke
    Marshmallow Mar 30, 2020

3. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Mar 30, 2020

meatandy, luxuskamel, MosheG1 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jimbo the Great
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2020

Jimbo the Great , Mar 30, 2020 :
    I thought about getting one of these because it seems novel and interesting...
    But the TMobile mess is a no go.

On the other hand...

Wormhole on the Floating dual display for the win!

(Don't forget to add new review to your signature!)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020

MosheG1 and funmunke like this.
  5. funmunke
    Marshmallow Mar 30, 2020

funmunke , Mar 30, 2020 :
    From what I hear, the situation is much worse on the other carriers, and the offer isn't as good.

luxuskamel and MosheG1 like this.
  6. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 30, 2020

luigimario , Mar 30, 2020 :
    [​IMG]

That was a good comprehensive review! Thanks for the tag. It's not something I'd be interested in but it's interesting none the less.

7. Jimbo the Great
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2020

Jimbo the Great , Mar 30, 2020 :
    Savage, honest, and still made it seem cool... if flawed.
    Like the Old Motorola Atrix - Cool idea... maybe overreaching a bit, focus on the basics... software, updates, stability.

funmunke likes this.
  8. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Mar 30, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 30, 2020 :
    "cranial rectal inversion"
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

great review with just the perfect amount of critical humor had me enjoying and appreciating the whole review!
    that was a great analysis and I agreed with a lot of the points you made!

my only critique is tag me next time! i want more!

9. script
    Nougat Moderator Mar 30, 2020

script , Mar 30, 2020 :
    Thx for the tag. I don't read reviews often. I like yours, it seems fair and complete and competent. The camera and video part is interesting. I heard good things about LG cameras being good. Still, the whole phone doesn't look too great.

Definitely a good read, no foolishness:)

Cheers, Script

TibiTibi, funmunke, MosheG1 and 2 others like this.
  10. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2020

script, funmunke and MosheG1 like this.
  11. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 30, 2020

meatandy , Mar 30, 2020 :
    I feel LG phones are definitely trending downward in quality and popularity in the last few years , from reading your review they now look like they're in a nosedive.

12. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Mar 31, 2020

13. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Mar 31, 2020

SoniaB , Mar 31, 2020 :
    Descriptive :rolleyes::p

luxuskamel and funmunke like this.
  14. SCR7
    Cupcake Mar 31, 2020

15. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 1, 2020

luxuskamel and funmunke like this.
  16. funmunke
    Marshmallow Apr 1, 2020

funmunke , Apr 1, 2020 :
    Haven't used it yet. Been on lock down since I got the phone. :(

luxuskamel likes this.
  17. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 1, 2020

meatandy , Apr 1, 2020 :
    No problems.

When you get it up and running are you going to see a substantial increase in billing from T-Mobile ?

funmunke and luxuskamel like this.
  18. funmunke
    Marshmallow Apr 1, 2020

funmunke , Apr 1, 2020 :
    No. I'm locked in there.

meatandy and luxuskamel like this.