Funmunk's HTC U11 Review - Tell My Wife To Give Me My G6 Back

1. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2017

funmunke , Aug 8, 2017 :
    The HTC U11 is basically a U Ultra that doesn’t suck and has a few more bells and whistles. It’s HTCs 2017 flagship phone and they packed it with the expected hardware to match most of the other phone makers out there.

In some ways this phone reminds me of the LG G5. A phone that was forced to be different just draw attention. Thankfully the U11 executes where the G5 fell flat on its face.

So let’s break it down.

SCREEN

The screen is as good as you can get without going with an AMOLED. It’s clear, bright, and not hamstrung like the screen in the G6 (more on this in a bit). HTC didn’t do anything crazy with the screen, it’s still the standard 16x9. They did not jump on the 18x9 bandwagon this year.

One thing they did jump on was the higher resolution. Big whoop. If you put a 720p AMOLED and a 2k LCD in front of someone, and ask them which is the higher res, most pick the AMOLED. 1080p is more than enough, but 1080p doesn’t sell anymore, so they had to give it bump. Ironically the software in the U11 reduces the resolution quite often and most people don’t notice.

Once nice thing HTC did was allow you to set a base brightness and then have them adjust it accordingly. LG failed miserably in this regard with the G6. If you opt for auto brightness in the G6, your screen is always going to look too dark.

PERFORMANCE

It runs great. That’s to be expected. It has the flagship specs. It might have less RAM than a OnePlus 5, but there is zero reason to have 8GB of RAM in a phone right now. It’s only going to kill your battery.

Will you notice a difference in the spec bump this year? Nope. Seriously, you are only going to notice a difference if you are jumping multiple generations of phones. The basic uptick from year to year is hardly noticeable unless you are some kind of crackhead who is doing full video edit / rendering on their phone.

I will say that one reason why the U11 feels fast is thanks to the highly optimized Sense UI. It’s clean and fast, but more on that later.

CAMERA

Did you know the U11 has the highest DXO score of any cellphone camera? Guess what? That’s a good fact to turn sideways and stuff up your butt. The U11 takes good photos, but unless you are going to do some serious cropping / zooming, you are not going to notice a big difference. Do you know what I do notice quite often? The lack of a wide angle camera. I really miss my G6 camera. The quality between two is about even, but the G6 gives you far more flexibility.

LOOKS

Okay, here is where the U11 makes a mark. This is a stunning phone. In fact, it’s so stunning, you are going to put it right in a case asap, because if you don’t, it will almost instantly become scratched or dulled by fingerprints.

The blue and red options are both dual colors. They shift in the light. They really are something to look at.

SOFTWARE

Fast, nice too look at, and almost bloat free, sums up HTCs Sense UI, but on the U11 we have to dig deeper and discover some oddball things.

1st – HTC imbedded their own assistant. This thing is basically useless. It likes to pop and tell you that it’s lunch time and here are some places to eat. Oh, here are the number of steps you took yesterday, but it’s nowhere near accurate because I can’t integrate with your smart watch. Hey it’s dinner time!

USELESS!

2nd – HTC added Alexa! Woohoo! …wait…this isn’t Alexa! That’s right people. If you thought you were getting a portable Echo – sucks to be you. This is a half-baked version of Alexa that transforms her into a gimmick. First – she can’t do a number of things such as tell you the Alexa deals on amazon. Some of the road blocks make no sense and leave you asking “why?”. The second thing that totally breaks her is the fact that she cannot unlock the phone to respond. She can listen for the trigger word, but then you have to unlock her to use her. Google Assistant CAN unlock the phone and go from there. It makes Google Assistant ten times more valuable.

3rd – Squeeze your phone! Okay let me boil down what HTC really did. They found a faster slightly more accurate way to launch your camera and turn on your flashlight than Motorola. In the end I’d still give the edge to Motorola since I’ve never accidently activated my camera with their gestures. That often happens with the U11.

SOUND

HTC is still king with it comes to sound, but every year it seems to get further and further from its peak. The M8 was the best of the best, the M9 still reigned supreme. The 10 faded a good deal but added custom sound profiles. The U11 has good sound but it leaves me wondering when someone is going to step up and steal the crown from HTC.

THE MISSING

Yes the U11 is missing some critical things. First off they removed the headphone jack. I really cannot see a reason for this. What did we get in return? Not wireless charging, that’s for sure! I would trade Alexa and the squeeze for wireless charging! I used that a lot before my wife took my G6! I keep hoping that someone releases a battery pack with wireless charging that does not block NFC for this phone. I know that’s not going to happen because HTC does not sell enough phones to justify that.

OVERALL

It’s REALLY hard to recommend this phone over the G6 to anyone. The only time you’d want to buy this over the G6 is if you are a real stickler for good software. Sense UI is one of the best. The steaming turd that LG is not even close to the top. That’s the only time I’d tell you to buy the U11 over the G6. Even more so considering the G6 has a dynamic camera and is a good deal cheaper.

Don’t get me wrong. The U11 is a good phone, but it misses the mark. If it had the headphones jack, wireless charging, and Alexa that was actually Alexa, it would be the best android phone on the market.

As is 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Photos are here:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...ive-me-my-g6-back.595820/page-2#post-16618904

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

zepphead, Gonzo01, keithnyc and 7 others like this.
  2. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2017

3. meatandy
    Oreo Aug 8, 2017

zepphead, Gonzo01 and funmunke like this.
  4. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2017

funmunke , Aug 8, 2017 :
    I'd still take the U11 over a OnePlus 5.

Gonzo01, stephenboyo, sfomin and 2 others like this.
  5. meatandy
    Oreo Aug 8, 2017

meatandy , Aug 8, 2017 :
    TBH , I couldn't bring myself to 'upgrade' :rolleyes:
    to the op5 , my main reason being in this was their first attempt with the dual camera
    set-up along with already having camera software inconsistencies.

Meanwhile the proximity sensor issue fix while using your phone as a real phone seems to be on the back burner .o_O

Gonzo01, ganeshknr and funmunke like this.
  6. sfomin
    Nougat Aug 8, 2017

7. ganeshknr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 8, 2017

ganeshknr , Aug 8, 2017 :
    Cough cough (Sense UI) :D:p

BTW @funmunke excellent review. I'm sure @Baymax will be happy to here from a fellow U11 user. :cool:

G_plusone, funmunke and sfomin like this.
  8. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Aug 8, 2017

Baymax , Aug 8, 2017 :
    Looks like you missed this setting.
    Screenshot_20170808-101123.png

jonitfcfan, Gonzo01 and funmunke like this.
  9. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2017

jonitfcfan, Gonzo01 and Baymax like this.
  10. Baymax

Baymax , Aug 8, 2017 :
    You just need to adjust the squeeze pressure. I keep mine on 5. It is there to have a gentle squeeze but won't activate upon taking out of pocket.

Gonzo01 and funmunke like this.
  11. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2017

funmunke , Aug 8, 2017 :
    Mine is on 5. I still manage to ham fist it. It must be my fat guy hands.

jonitfcfan and Gonzo01 like this.
  12. Baymax

Baymax , Aug 8, 2017 :
    I just bumped mine up to 6.

13. Baymax

Baymax , Aug 8, 2017 :
    It is all about finding the sweet spot.

14. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2017

funmunke , Aug 8, 2017 :
    I misread that. Mine is on 10.

15. Baymax

Baymax , Aug 8, 2017 :
    Still manage to ham hand it in 10?

jonitfcfan, Gonzo01 and funmunke like this.
  16. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2017

funmunke , Aug 8, 2017 :
    Yes. From time to time :D

Gonzo01 likes this.
  17. Baymax

18. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2017

Gonzo01 likes this.
  19. Deactivated User
    Aug 8, 2017

20. funmunke
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2017

funmunke , Aug 8, 2017 :
    As @The Earl of Twatshire would say, indeed.

Sideways and backwards. It results in what they call the "butt puke" effect...