Future support for oneplus 5 is worrying

?

Do you think oneplus should support android updates for 3 years for their phones

1. Yes

70.0%
  2. No

30.0%
  1. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jan 14, 2018

Bobbie63 , Jan 14, 2018 :
    Listening is something else that giving in to every demand.

If they do that, they wouldn't exist no more.

Android450, dsmonteiro and Hydra Bob like this.
  2. Emilius
    Gingerbread Jan 14, 2018

Emilius , Jan 14, 2018 :
    well in my example you get 2 phones for the price of one. what better you want mate.

3. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 14, 2018

dsmonteiro , Jan 14, 2018 :
    So before it was because I was a sheep, now it's because I didn't pay for the device. Love the logic.

Did you ever bother to read their explanation about their motto? Because it sure as hell look like you didn't. Never Settle never meant having everything you want.

Again, check the Android ecosystem. You'll see that OnePlus doesn't perform that differently when compared to other brands. There are brands that support their devices better and there are those that are worse.

I don't demand anything. Never have. Not from OnePlus, not from other brands. They are not here to do our personal bidding.

Android450, Bobbie63 and Hydra Bob like this.
  4. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jan 14, 2018

This post is the best example of all your biased replies. You might wanna do some more reading before judging people.

I think for most people, it's clear who and what you are, thanks for proving that once again.

5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 14, 2018

dsmonteiro , Jan 14, 2018 :
    Has nothing to do with the amount of RAM or the processing power of the phone.

Google has taken many steps to make sure Android runs on less powerful hardware. The reasons why manufacturers stop updating their phones are mostly:
    1. Lack of drivers from the hardware providers (like Qualcomm)
    2. Not being financially viable to do so. Supporting devices costs money and that eats away the profits.

6. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 14, 2018

izzykasha , Jan 14, 2018 :
    Good info ds, like I have said all good points of view

Ying and Yang,

Some people are happy with the rate of burn, others want more, but good info on the cost aspect

I will review the poll tomorrow sometime see where it's at

Hydra Bob likes this.
  7. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 14, 2018

Hydra Bob likes this.
  8. nated4
    Donut Jan 14, 2018

nated4 , Jan 14, 2018 :
    Your entire argument is making no sense at all. If you didn't want to engage in this conversation with another OnePlus user than why comment on what I and others have said. You clearly want to try to discredit or disprove what we're saying without an argument. You say that you've explained yourself and how you believe that the real world works on multiple occasions on other threads but for some reason refuse to do it on here. No one is willing to search through your previous comments to find what you said before. You claim that I've already made up my mind about OnePlus which is far from the truth. I, like most of the other commenters here, understand that OnePlus is a constantly evolving company that is trying to streamline itself to better serve the consumer and appeal to a larger audience. We are providing our views based on their prior actions and not some ideal version of them that we hold. You continuously write and say that there is no need to try to convince myself and others when that is exactly what you're aiming to do. Your entire comment oozes that. You also claim that it's false to believe that the demands of consumers will change standards which is completely false. There are tons of examples that I could provide where you would see that the demands and wants of consumers can and have changed industries. Organic foods is a nice example. As consumers became more conscious, and paranoid, about the safety of GMOs and pesticides of their foods, the industry responded to this but offering more choices to help sooth the concerns of the consumer. McDonald's has been changing to meet the demands of the consumer as they look for more premium places to eat after the economy started improving. they have been renovating and changing the customer experience in order to stay competitive. If you're dining in, you can take a little number to your table and they'll bring your food to you once it's done. Samsung moved from using plastic to a premium glass and metal design to compete with Apple and meet the standards that consumers expected for a device meant to challenge the iPhone. Consumers expected a phone that was as fluid as the iPhone and with a comparable photo quality and that helped to push Google and Android phone creators to make more finished products.

The only market where the wants of the consumer can be ignored in a monopoly or any other market where there is little competition or alternatives for the consumer.

9. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Jan 14, 2018

Hydra Bob , Jan 14, 2018 :
    Oh trust us we will.;) Good luck keeping this one reigned in.

I'm gonna get my popcorn ready. I got it from the same theatre @Bobbie63 goes to.:p

giphy (1) (2).gif

SimonRam, Bobbie63 and nated4 like this.
  10. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jan 14, 2018

That a long story, didn't read it all tbh. The point is industry has formed you to their demand. Industry creates the demand of the consumer and it is their strategy to let the consumer think it their demand that made the difference.

The thing is just, how to make people pay for those demands? In this case there is is balance between how long you support a device that it still will make money in the future and when to drop it. Not me, nor you are able to say where this balance lies with OnePlus nor any other company. But this balance is part of the company strategy OnePlus and other companies have. Updating and introducing new feature s as well as maintaining them cost money, especially when a they're applied to model that aren't sold anymore. As android customers are not the most loyal customers and there is a big competition, the part where the money is made is with new products and innovation on those, not keeping old devices updated. As it seems now, this point of balance lies somewhere at 2 years.

It's just as it is, no rocket science. I've been in business long enough to understand how it works and I can assure you, it's not the demand of the consumer that will change these kind of company policies.

What I see on this forum, is people expect to get in every aspect, the best phone that exists for half the price they would pay for another one, that's what bothering me.

Demand but not willing to pay.

nated4, Android450 and Hydra Bob like this.
  11. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jan 14, 2018

Oi, that's my bag! Leave the tacos be, there mine! :p

Oh no, you can have them, I'm calling it a day and eating at this hour isn't healthy I heard.

meatandy, Android450 and Hydra Bob like this.
  12. nated4
    Donut Jan 14, 2018

nated4 , Jan 14, 2018 :
    I can agree and understand many of your points. Like how the flow of diamonds into the market are artificially controlled to make them seem more rare than they're. And how the illusion of control causes the same reaction as the actual feeling of it. I disagree that demand of the consumer isn't enough to change the company but it also depends on what they're demanding. If their demands would cause unnecessary costs for the company than it would be logical to ignore it unless the issue has to do with something that they can't. like how people are freaked out about GMOs but don't realize that organic causes farmers to yield less crops and the the reaction isn't justified by science. I agree that many of the request would significantly raise the cost of the phone but we all know that OnePlus isn't in the position yet to do that yet because their core buyers only buy it for the price.

You can had many good points and I'm happy that you shared it. It will hopefully bring a new and well thought out perspective to this thread. I personally don't expect much from OnePlus but a functioning update but I can understand why people would want more because OnePlus screwed themselves with never settle and the flagship killer sayings.c

Hydra Bob and Bobbie63 like this.
  13. meatandy
    Oreo Jan 14, 2018

meatandy , Jan 14, 2018 :
    I would be satisfied with a two year update guarantee , that said....
    The small company term has long been debunked and in comparison to apple , those two parts of your
    argument are invalid.

Hydra Bob and Bobbie63 like this.
  14. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jan 14, 2018

Some point we agree, others we don't. That's the beauty of free opinion.

And OnePlus has screwed up at times, like any other companies, without any doubt. Also they haven't handled everything like they should have.

Of course people want as much as possible, but what I try to keep explaining, everything comes at a cost and every dollar has to be gained back, one way or the other.

But now I'm really off.

izzykasha, Hydra Bob and nated4 like this.
  15. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 14, 2018

again depends what point of view you start with

no opinion is ever invalid thats impossible, but as I have said before in this thread everyone can have their opinion they are free

cheers for your input and don't forget to vote

meatandy likes this.
  16. meatandy
    Oreo Jan 14, 2018

meatandy , Jan 14, 2018 :
    You said 'small company ' , that is not an opinion but offered as fact.
    OP not a small company , but a subsidiary of a larger company.
    Did you click my link? If not here is another.

Let's agree that Oneplus needs to offer a guaranteed update support window of two years minimum. :)

Bobbie63 and Hydra Bob like this.
  17. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 14, 2018

I didn't say they were a small company hence expecting more my actual statement was

"Now before you all state oneplus is a small company please bear in mind they are part of the same company as Vivo and Oppo, they are not small anymore"

so a subsidiary let's not get too uppety about things

but yes I agree detent a guaranteed support window sounds like a perfect idea

anyway I'm off to bed catch u all in the morning

Hydra Bob likes this.
  18. Nathan_Elcoate_
    Froyo Jan 14, 2018

19. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 15, 2018

izzykasha , Jan 15, 2018 :
    good point, price point is key for some and their expectations.

those that can afford lots expect less, those where this costs their monthly wage as someone pointed out to me recently in another post expect more.

I wonder at what price point the majority expect more but that's a question for another day

20. meetskmonline
    Froyo Jan 15, 2018