Galaxy Z Flip Unboxing : Floss Carter

1. malidan
    Nougat Feb 15, 2020

2. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 16, 2020

Rusty NZ , Feb 16, 2020 :

The Galaxy Z Flip is the most durable flip phone yet. But the glass screen doesn't give the protection of glass or act like glass. Scratches at level 2 with deeper grooves at level three. It's very misleading by Samsung to call this a folding glass screen.

"If glass isn't glass then truth doesn't matter and truth should matter"
    Zack Nelson

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020

Liehjan likes this.
  3. malidan
    Nougat Feb 16, 2020

malidan , Feb 16, 2020 :
    @Rusty NZ you wrote that like Zack was an authority on Ultra thin glass. :tearsofjoy:
    He gave no technical insight as to composite or intended strength, all he did was scratch it and offer an opinion. :tearsofjoy:
    Samsung clearly state what you can and can not do. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning the Ultra thin glass in this device offering scratch protection. Nobody mentioned it had been treated or tempered, I mean you can't bend tempered glass screen protector can you.:tearsofjoy:
    I wonder what those tools would do to a 0.3 um piece of glass, I bet it would have snapped.
    I swear there are people on this planet that will listen to any old rubbish and repeat it.:tearsofjoy:

Confirmed now as a great phone it will sell by the millions. :)

Ultra thin glass explained

Having said the tempered Ultra thin glass is on its way and Samsung are 3 years ahead of the rest.
    Tempered foldable Ultra thin glass

I wonder if old Zack knows any of this and how the terminology Ultra thin glass is defined under law.:rolleyes:

ilovesoneplus likes this.
  4. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 16, 2020

Sure it's a great phone but we need to keep things honest. Samsung is the largest phone manufacturer and why do they need to be deceptive with saying they have a folding glass screen when it performs exactly the same as a plastic screen?

You should learn to not listen to manufacturers hype and look at how things perform in the real world. Zack has called out plenty manufacturers including apple with their so called Sapphire glass with the help of an electron microscope. Are you saying you trust marketing hype over independent testing? 😂😂😂

5. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 16, 2020

6. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 16, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 16, 2020 :
    “we don't just bend glass, we bend the laws of physics...” Such a shame Samsung, I was really hoping you had solved the impossible

7. malidan
    Nougat Feb 16, 2020

malidan , Feb 16, 2020 :
    Prove the deception and not offer someone else's opinion. Didn't you read through the links I posted on Foldable tech?
    So UTG that has been used across many industries for many years before Samaung adopted it is hype because Rusty says so. :confused:

These product have to be certified by law .Trades description act in the UK.
    . False Trade description Law in the US

It's on sale in both countries so the question is, who is Zack and who are YOU in comparison to two official goverment bodies?

I would suggest YOU read up on a tech you obviously know nothing about.
    Opinion can never defeat facts, it's time to put your peashooter away. :p

8. malidan
    Nougat Feb 16, 2020

malidan , Feb 16, 2020 :
    Check the 2 links I posted on UTG.
    We have people making comment with zerro technical knowledge UTG has been around for years, just not in a mobile phone. ;)

The blind will follow the blind and those in the need of clickbaite.

Liehjan likes this.
  9. malidan
    Nougat Feb 16, 2020

10. malidan
    Nougat Feb 16, 2020

11. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 16, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 16, 2020 :
    To me, folding screens are impressive from a tech progress point of view; but in practical terms, I consider them just more things that can wear out / break / otherwise malfunction, with no added usefulness that I actually need. So although I understand the "Oh wow" factor, I stopped being an unpaid beta tester early adopter decades ago -- especially at the prices being asked for these devices.

Of course, everyone's use case is different. I suppose there are some people who need a folding bar phone (although I can't think of why offhand). There's also nothing wrong with buying something just because one thinks it's cool. I've bought old cars I didn't need for that reason (most of which cost less than any of the folding phones mentioned in this thread).

I do wonder, however, if coolness alone and whatever status symbol value they have will make these phones commercially successful.

Full disclosure: I carry my phone in a vertical holster with a belt clip. I'm allowed to do that because I'm old.

Richard

Rusty NZ likes this.
  12. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 16, 2020

Watch The video from JerryRigEverything and it's quite clear that Samsung's folding glass performs no better than plastic and it's quite deceptive to market is as glass. You can post as many links to how fantastic folding glass is, but how it performs in the real world is important.

Why continue to be so blind? Every device has pros and cons, why can't you accept the cons of this device? Do you have shares in Samsung?

You haven't presented any facts but you have presented your bias. You can look forward to Samsung going into damage control over this.

Now you have just got silly. Why are you comparing the Samsung Z Flip to a 2015 model phone? You should be comparing a 2020 phone with other 2020 phones. You just managed to make your argument worthless.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020

13. malidan
    Nougat Feb 16, 2020

malidan , Feb 16, 2020 :
    Well said OLD chap.
    New stuff can break but so can old. The OP7 series being another example of that with ghost touches and discoloured screens.

The Pixel range being another

. Somepeople just don't appreciate advancement
    . Some people just whine for the sake of.

As for being successful the Moto Razr won't be because it don't offer the specs to go with the uniqueness, this is something a Samsung does offer.
    This is a prelude to future possibilities and I won't let blind fanboyism or plain old bigotry stop me from seeing that. That fact that one may need to care for it a little more make no odds to me, the Z Flip will be a hit despite the crazy outlay most will need to make to secure it and Rusty NZ.

I have patients and I will wait for the sensibly priced opportuniy to own the future, I appreciated Samaung need to claw back dev costs but it won't be out of my pocket. :tearsofjoy:

Well not the full whack anyway.;)

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  14. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 16, 2020

I've already said I like Samsung advancing tech and I like the idea of folding phones. There is pros and cons of any device and you need to be aware of them before you spend your hard earned money. Why try to hide the cons? Why not try to be balanced? New tech is fine for tech enthusiasts and early adopters or anyone who is aware of any potential pitfalls. To hide those pitfalls is to do a disservice to everyone.

15. malidan
    Nougat Feb 16, 2020

malidan , Feb 16, 2020 :

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

No claims have been made about the screen being scratch resistant, yet YOU speak of misleading people.

I highlighted a device with supposed scratch resistant glass that did no better, don't you like facts or do you just want to voice OPINION?

We are not talking about pro and cons we are talking about YOU presenting an Opinion from a person that at no point said he was an authority on UTG like it was a fact. And you say I presented worthless arguments
    I presented fact.
    Look again and educate your mind instead of making assumptions of what the product is.

Approved by the US and UK trades descriptions, as well as every other country that will sell it.
    Your peashooter is empty.

Time to tag a Mod to remove you from the thread for making liable accusations and making out you know better than everybody else. :rolleyes:

16. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

Rusty NZ , Feb 17, 2020 :
    So Samsung markets a phone as a foldable glass screen but it's hidden away under what appears to be a plastic layer or uses trace amounts of glass? What's the point and advantage of the glass if you interact with a plastic layer and it performs the same as plastic and fails just as easily as other plastic screens?

Why so defensive? Saying the phone is approved is only defending the phone. This isn't the first time Zack has pulled up phone manufacturers. Zack isn't targeting Samsung. Zack pulled up Apple up over using trace amounts of Sapphire in their so called sapphire glass which performed exactly the same as gorilla Glass.

The issue is about truth and honestly and Samsung haven't done themselves any favours here.

17. malidan
    Nougat Feb 17, 2020

malidan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    The only thing Zack pulled apart was his assumptions and your bigotry.

UTG

You seem to have a Bee in your bonnet where Samsung is concerned.:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Why are you talking about Apple now, how does make your assumptions not?:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Facts kid nothing else matters and defininately not the last word snydrome you seem to suffer from.:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

18. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 17, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 17, 2020 :
    What will make me LMAO will be when someone who is triggered to the point of anguish over a camera notch starts saying the the crease in folding phone screens is no big deal.

Richard

19. malidan
    Nougat Feb 17, 2020

20. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

Rusty NZ , Feb 17, 2020 :
    I asked you a question: 'So Samsung markets a phone as a foldable glass screen but it's hidden away under what appears to be a plastic layer or uses trace amounts of glass? What's the point and advantage of the glass if you interact with a plastic layer and it performs the same as plastic and fails just as easily as other plastic screens?'

And your response is to attack. Why attack just because you don't like what you hear? You haven't addressed the issues with the retail model demonstrated by Zack and it appears you are unable to. You are not doing anyone a favour by attempting to hide issues. If the manufacturers don't know what the issues are then how can they improve?