Galaxy Z Flip Unboxing : Floss Carter

1. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 17, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Checked your links, thanks... UTG may have been around for years, but the fact that Samsung intentionally mislead customers with their marketing leaves a bad taste in the mouth...Not everyone should have to do their own research... It may be glass, but it's as soft and scratch proof as plastic.

UTG will solve this in the future, no doubt about that... May not be as tough as gorilla glass, but a lvl5 hardness would be great!

2. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

malidan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Do you remember the word scratch protected bring bounded by Samsung or any other reviewer or article.
    Did Samsing say scratch proof at the unpack?
    A clear warning screen, I suppose this is to mislead. :confused: Screenshot_20200217_093529_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Why should people do their research

1. I don't see anyone buying a car without doing research
    2. I don't see anyone buying a TV without doing research.
    3. I don't see anyone buying a house without research.
    4. I don't see people booking to go to a holiday resort without doing some research.

5. I doubt anyone on this forum who bought a OP device, did so without doing some form of research.
    6.I doubt anyone offered up their money to Escobar for their fold 2, without looking into who they were.
    So why is it any different for the Z Flip which is a totally unconventional device?

I fail to underdtsnd why people blame others for their assumptions rather than fess up to their mistakes i didn't. If someone says they have bendable glass, it stir an interest to see exactly what it is, so i did.

Did Mr Jerry Rigs break down the screen and test for compounds?
    Did he memtion anything about its construction?
    So he infact gave his opinion based on his knowledge of conventional glass that has mass, has been hardened and what he assumed the material would be.:rolleyes:

He also said marks at level 6 is what we expect from glass, that should be what you expect from GG5 or 6. Now that statement is designed to mislead as their are device out their with GG3 and that will scratch well before a level5. Also not forgetting the good old OP2 that marked with a blade.
    He also said Samaung called it glass, it was called that for years before Samaung bought into the industry.
    So yeah here we have some serious contradiction from Jerry, because It's purely about the clicks. ;)

Did you see my last link of a video on how it is made and the fact they check for scratches after production , nevermind after someone had gauged.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020

3. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 17, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    You would be surprised how many on this forum actually did buy a Oneplus phone without any research and then complain :D

GeekOnTheHill and malidan like this.
  4. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

malidan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Getting tetchy now:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Screenshot_20200217_102848.jpg

Fact
    Not another opinion
    And most certainly not more assumptions

You do like to tell lies. :tearsofjoy:

This is getting boring with you just spamming the thread with repeated comments. :rolleyes:

5. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

malidan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    That's why I said some form of, I've seen some of the stuff they have said it's mind blowing. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Liehjan likes this.
  6. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 17, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    So there is actually glass, but it is just protected with a sheet of plastic... interesting video, worth 5min of you time

malidan likes this.
  7. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

malidan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Great video, :)

So there is a UTG protector bonded to the screen as the usual type of treatment would harden off the glass.
    You really should tag that Rusty chap so he can understands what the point is.
    I'm sure Zack will correct his assumptions in the next video.:tearsofjoy:

So Samsung are not misleading people?:rolleyes:

8. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 17, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Apparently not ;)
    Only those who do their own research can know the truth, I learned my lesson :cool:

malidan likes this.
  9. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

malidan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Well said, well said. :)

10. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

Rusty NZ , Feb 17, 2020 :
    You quoted marketing slogans as fact. You should always fact check sales pitches as they often don't tell the full story. A word of advice, stop using marketing material as fact.

Yesterday I said "So Samsung markets a phone as a foldable glass screen but it's hidden away under what appears to be a plastic layer" "What's the point and advantage of the glass if you interact with a plastic layer and it performs the same as plastic and fails just as easily as other plastic screens?"

You didn't answer my question but maybe you can answer Scott Scrivens who said:

"The most obvious question is why would Samsung bother using ultra-thin glass if it needs to be covered with a less scratch resistant plastic layer? The display clearly doesn't exhibit the more durable qualities of a conventional glass display, so what it's actually made of is arguably irrelevant. If the phone's screen can be so easily damaged, it may be no better than the entirely plastic panel of the Galaxy Fold. Glass certainly sounds better from a marketing perspective, though, doesn't it."

Source:
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...display-beneath-protective-plastic-layer/?amp

Samsung is clearly misleading the public as in their promotional material they don't mention the glass is hidden under a plastic layer.

And how it performs in real life:

11. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

malidan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Wow there has been some heavy editing in this thread the accusation was the the Z Flip. Screen was plastic, now every post says glass under plastic.

This is insane. :confused:

12. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

How about answering the questions. Maybe you didn't answer because you accept the concerns about the screen is real.

I edited it add Zack's video so we can see how it performs. I never said the glass was on the top. That's very clear from when first posted Zack's video.

13. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

malidan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Dude you said plastic yesterday, now every one of your post says glass under plastic. :confused:

There is your answer. :p
    you edited a post 5 hrs after to that effect.

A member even agreed with your misleading people by calling it glass statement and that now read as glass under plastic

There is your second Answer I'm out.:confused:

Is somebody helping you do this?

14. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

Dude I said this:
    "So Samsung markets a phone as a foldable glass screen but it's hidden away under what appears to be a plastic layer" "What's the point and advantage of the glass if you interact with a plastic layer and it performs the same as plastic and fails just as easily as other plastic screens?"

Why can't you comment or answer that? I never said the screen was only plastic. You fail to see the issue

15. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 17, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Well... If the plastic were removable, I could see some sense in that. Let the plastic be, in essence, a sacrificial screen protector. When it gets scratched, peel it off and replace it.

That's actually how I look at screen protectors in general. I use them because I'd rather replace a screen protector than a screen. When the screen is an ultra high-tech (read: unusually expensive) one, all the more so.

I suppose the crease would make it a trickier-than-average installation, though.

Richard

Rusty NZ likes this.
  16. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2020

malidan , Feb 17, 2020 :
    :tearsofjoy:
    You said you agreed with Zack and at no point did he call the screen glass or even glass under plastic Mr Edit edit edit.

You said Samaung were misleading people by advertising a glass screen, that has dramatically changed.

What does a trace of glass mean? As you said you didn't say glass particles, I'm pretty sure that what Zack meant. He said glass a polymer which would be glass particles mixed in the other substances.
    Dont talk what you don't know about, you're only fooling yourself.

His next video should be great, it's a good thing you edited your posts.
    There is no issue here all the top YouTubers love the thing, so nobody cares what a Rusty has to say.

You have spammed two threads to death with rambling and yet again changing what you originally stated by rewording and not a Mod insight, typical. :rolleyes:

17. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 18, 2020

Rusty NZ , Feb 18, 2020 :
    At no point I said the screen was all plastic.
    I didn't edit my posts to change the content. But I did edit to add Zack's video or to correct a typo. Please don't get delusional.
    You have spammed the thread trying to defend a product when there is really no need to. Honesty and transparency is a much better approach. Don't you think a customer of Samsung would be a lot happier if knew what they are buying?

Samsung are misleading the public by calling their screen glass as people will expect it to perform the same as glass. Samsung didn't say the screen has a non removable plastic top layer. Clearly you are not seeing what I'm saying so how about listening to someone else? You still haven't addressed the issues that Scott raised.

"The most obvious question is why would Samsung bother using ultra-thin glass if it needs to be covered with a less scratch resistant plastic layer? The display clearly doesn't exhibit the more durable qualities of a conventional glass display, so what it's actually made of is arguably irrelevant. If the phone's screen can be so easily damaged, it may be no better than the entirely plastic panel of the Galaxy Fold. Glass certainly sounds better from a marketing perspective, though, doesn't it." Scott Scrivens

Source:
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...display-beneath-protective-plastic-layer/?amp

18. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 18, 2020

Yes if the plastic top layer was removable and it could be replaced with a fresh plastic layer then I also would see a lot of sense in that.

My experience of plastic screen protectors has been subpar. Plastic screen protectors don't last long before they are scratched and looking and feeling horrible. Maybe in a generation or two Samsung will make a folding phone that you can fit a plastic screen protector. That would be a big improvement as then you could just simply replace the screen protector instead of the screen.

What would be truly revolutionary if Samsung could figure out how to have a top layer of glass no matter how thin as plastic doesn't come close to the look at feel of glass phones.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  19. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 18, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 18, 2020 :
    I also prefer tempered glass, although PET isn't horrible. If I had to choose between PET and no protection at all, I'd take PET. But there's nothing quite like glass.

I haven't had a chance to touch whatever Samsung is using for their screens, and I doubt I will any time soon. I really have no interest in owning a folding phone. I strongly prefer simplicity. I'm interested in new tech, but not necessarily in owning that tech. I let other people be the beta testers nowadays. My days as an early adopter ended years ago.

If one of the wireless providers here starts selling it, however, maybe I'll take a few swipes just for curiosity's sake.

You know, in a way, the lack of hardness may not matter all that much. I mean, it's a folding phone, so key scratches are a not issue. I do wonder, though, about how well the screen will hold up to accidental damage by women (or men, for that matter) with long fingernails and less-than-wonderful motor coordination. I suppose time will tell.

Richard

Rusty NZ likes this.
  20. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Feb 18, 2020

For me I would find PET screen protectors would last about a month before they looked scratched but that's probably got something to do with the way I type with gesture typing. Constantly dragging my finger and fingernail across the screen is not good on PET but I would also choose PET over no protection at all. I'm not quite sure if I would want to buy a phone where no screen protectors can be fitted.

Like you said you aren't an early adopter or beta tester, let them buy the phone and time will tell. Samsung will learn from them and improve their products.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.