Games app

1. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 24, 2021

Bobbie63 , Oct 24, 2021 :
    So we have this games app pre-installed, I never use this app nor haven't ever used it. Upon checking the info of this app, I noticed it consumes battery power as well as data.

So what I did, is I cleared cache and data, force stopped it, charge my phone and monitored the exact same and found out it still consumes battery power as well as data. I also like to mention the app didn't get updated after I charged it. In the screenshots low you can see the last update for the games app was 4 days before i took the screenshot and charged my phone and in the second SS you can see the app consumed 7% of whatever power and the data consumption from date to date.

Also the app is optimized for battery

Anybody have any idea on what's going on here?

Screenshot_20211021-213834.jpg

Screenshot_20211021-213825.jpg

Edit: another thing is the battery consumption doesn't show up in the battery stats weird enough.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021

2. HoLeetihs
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 24, 2021

HoLeetihs , via OnePlus Nord , Oct 24, 2021 :
    Your post made me curious and I checked mine. I also haven't used it but noticed that battery consumption has been 5% after last full charge! I also tried to check if it's possible to uninstall the app but it looks to be impossible.

3. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 24, 2021

The thing is if you check the data and wifi usage you get the cumulative usage of the apps which includes like Zen mode and File manager, if you check these, you see they have same data usage and power consumption as the games app.
    Screenshot_20211024-165021.jpg
    And no, you can't disable this app nor change permissions. Before the last update or even an update before, all permissions were given to this app, none could be turned off. Now it got changed to permissions for Data and media and location.

Caomhin likes this.
  4. rhyd1am
    KitKat Community Expert Oct 24, 2021

rhyd1am , Oct 24, 2021 :
    Does uninstalling the updates make any difference?

Just checked on my 6T and the games app has used 3% and again I don't use it either.

5. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 24, 2021

Let me check when I’m gonna charge my phone. I don’t think it’ll make much difference as I’ve been monitoring this already through 2 update or so and it kept doing the same.

I heard others have the same, also as mentioned in my second post here, the same is for Zen Mode, which I also don’t use.

6. rhyd1am

rhyd1am , Oct 24, 2021 :
    Yeh in not sure myself if it'll make a difference, but worth a try. I'm going to see myself once I've charged it. 👍

7. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 24, 2021

So I've checked a couple of the system apps mentioned in the ss of my post #3, they all show the same usage, battery as well as data. I get the idea, the battery percentage of the games app is the outcome of all added percentages of the system apps the games app is using. Even if the games app doesn't use any power, nor data, some other app might use that system app and these percentage are still added to the Games app. (hope it makes sense)

8. rhyd1am

rhyd1am , Oct 24, 2021 :
    Yes definitely makes sense. Seems a strange way to go about displaying the usage though, but I can't think of anything that's a more logical explanation that your suggestion 👍

Caomhin and Bobbie63 like this.
  9. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 24, 2021

It is a strange way and a bit of a useless way, makes me wonder about all other displayed percentages. The ones per app as well as the stats.

Caomhin and rhyd1am like this.
  10. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 24, 2021

So I just checked, I deleted the updates, cleared data and cache, forced stop the games app. What I noticed is the battery consumption as well as the data is the same as the the android system app. I'll check again when the battery is low.

Screenshot_20211024-212621.jpg

Screenshot_20211024-212554.jpg

Caomhin likes this.