Get to know Nearby Share; send & receive apps from the Google Play Store

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Feb 25, 2021

Cheetosdust , Feb 25, 2021 :
    Nearby Share.jpg

Sharing is caring. For years, Apple has its AirDrop and since 2020, Google rolled out Nearby Share, killing Android Beam in 2019 so this new way of sharing data could be born. If you don’t know about it, you will be able to learn what it does and how it does it. More: since last week, you can send applications to a nearby device directly from the Google Play Store. I have tested it and you’ll discover how to do it too.

How to use Nearby Share

It's an easy and quick feature tailored for convenience, allowing you to share something on the spot directly from the share menu. If you want to activate the feature ahead of sharing something, just go to Settings -> Bluetooth & Device Connection -> Nearby Share. There you’ll find all the parameters, including how the data is used (always, Wi-Fi only, offline).

If you don’t do this preemptively, the first time you use it, you’ll be prompted to activate the feature: name or edit your device's name, its visibility status (All Contacts, Some Contacts, Hidden). It automatically chooses the best protocol (Bluetooth, Bluetooth Low Energy, WebRTC, peer-to-peer WiFi). Make sure the devices are unlocked, close together, have Bluetooth and location turned on. After that, accept the request that’ll pop with a notification and that’s it, the transfer starts.

And it’s not just photos or videos you can share. You can use this feature, for example, to share a file you have stored locally on your device, a link to a page you are visiting, or even an address you’ve found in Google Maps. The more you allow this to be a part of your daily life, the more concrete uses for it you’ll find.

And now, you can share apps

The Nearby Share started rolling out in August last year, but recently Google added a new option built upon it: to share apps directly from the Google Play Store. The basics are the same but applied to an application you want to send a friend or a family member. And, luckily for everyone, the process continues to be streamlined and easy to follow.

Open the Google Play Store, access the My Apps & Games section. Make sure all your apps are updated. You should see a few tabs: Updates, Installed, Library, Share, and Beta. As you probably guessed, hit the Share option. Two new options should now be visible: Send and Receive.

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

How to Send and Receive Apps

Press the Send option, make sure the device location is on and that Play Store can access it. Hit Continue and you’ll see a pop-up message, select While Using the App or Only This Time. And now, just select the app or apps you want to send directly to a nearby device - the sizes of the apps selected are shown at the top. Press the icon on the top right corner to start the process.

While the device is looking for the receiver, the other phone needs to go to the Play Store, select the Share option as we mentioned before, and hit Receive. If done correctly, you should get a message informing the user the device is “waiting for sender”.

Now you’ll see a four-digit code. Make sure it’s the matching one and just press Receive on the device that’s going to receive the app. That’s it. The user who received the app should now have the option to locally install it on the device. The one that sent it can now send more apps or, when done, just disconnect.

Take note

It’s a really fast way to share apps - or files. It can be the solution when someone is low on data, especially if you are transferring a large piece of information. Also take into consideration that, at the moment it does not work with every single application, so you’ll have to test it for yourself.

Finally, please make sure you have everything updated before trying since the feature is still rolling out and early reports mention that you should have at least version 24.0 of the Google Play Store: long-press the app -> App info -> Advanced and check the version you have installed.

Be it by curiosity or out of necessity, do give it a go. If you find new uses for Nearby Share or have any problems while sharing apps, please report back. Do you think it’s useful or do you have any specific cases that you want this technology applied to? The thread is yours, my good friends. :cool:

2. Md.Afzal
    Eclair Feb 25, 2021

3. Bhaveee
    Honeycomb Feb 25, 2021

Bhaveee , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 25, 2021 :
    This is a game changing feature already. I like that nearby share is slowly spreading its structure to native android functions for a seamless connectivity.

4. suhantm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 25, 2021

5. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Feb 25, 2021

Cheetosdust likes this.
  6. SRD.
    Lollipop Feb 25, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 25, 2021 :
    This is going to kill all the third party data thieves.
    ( Though it might be one of them) .

Speed & security is what it matters the most.

7. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Feb 25, 2021

8. sam311

Q1614516403871 likes this.
  9. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Feb 25, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Feb 25, 2021 :
    Good to know ! But data is so cheap in india that people can download the app required ! Even if network is low there is no point in Sharing the app also!

eastbay likes this.
  10. AbhimanyuThakur
    Froyo Feb 25, 2021

11. sritejkoduru
    Honeycomb Feb 25, 2021

sritejkoduru , Feb 25, 2021 :
    It's time to Uninstall It.

12. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Feb 25, 2021

camohan , Feb 25, 2021 :
    I will let my old pal stay for some more time. It has been useful when there was no one else.

G_plusone and sritejkoduru like this.
  13. Abhishek654

14. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Feb 25, 2021

YRJ , Feb 25, 2021 :
    And that is?

15. G_plusone
    Nougat Feb 25, 2021

G_plusone , Feb 25, 2021 :
    Nearby share is all well and good when it works well. Only thing I don't like is the location permissions which I feel is unnecessary. I feel like they added location share function just so they can ask for location permission.
    Other than that this was long overdue welcome feature

16. sam311

sam311 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 25, 2021 :
    Again who are you.....I wrote something regarding updates..I guess right to write is allowed or you gonna warn me

17. Sorriso_NWK
    Honeycomb Feb 25, 2021

Sorriso_NWK , Feb 25, 2021 :
    Thank you for this update. Now I can share apps with friends and family while abroad, avoiding the customary flurry of curses when Uncle or Auntie downloads the wrong app and wonders how/why $ is mysteriously disappearing from their bank account

Cheetosdust likes this.
  18. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Feb 25, 2021

YRJ , Feb 25, 2021 :
    I'm a user such as yourself and just asked you a question as it wasn't quite clear as to what you're waiting for. You are free to write anything as long as it is on topic and not in violation of the rules. And to answer your question, no. I can't warn you, I'm not a moderator.

Still, if a software update is what you're waiting for. I'm sorry, you won't find it here. You will have to wait for the OTA update, it will come when ready.

20. 303276697017
    Gingerbread Feb 25, 2021