Ghost Touches when using Google Cardboard/VR games

1. F_Gm_Teenykimi_Lujg
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

F_Gm_Teenykimi_Lujg , Jun 18, 2016 :
    your compass will have a sharp deflection when the magnetic spikes occur. Maps/navigation/GPS, other apps that use magnetic sensor will get affected.

2. nitramcek
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 18, 2016

nitramcek , Jun 18, 2016 :
    That this is really issue!
    Navigation must work perfectly.
    A lot of people use it. At least at some point. And it can be really frustrating if it doesn't work like it should, when you need it.

3. stuart_Foy
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

stuart_Foy , Jun 18, 2016 :
    Interestingly using both my Moto G3 and OnePlus 3 right beside each other, in some directions they read the same, some there's a bigger difference. but the needle stays the same on the OP3 where as the G3 fluctuates about 1 degree.

it's hard to judge without a proper compass. but facing towards me there's no difference, but to the right and up there's a whole 40 degrees of difference.

In google maps the OP3 seems more accurate :)

Yurie likes this.
  4. Carl
    Co-founder Staff Member Jun 18, 2016

Carl , Jun 18, 2016 :
    We're looking into this. It's currently weekend so expect a response in the week ahead.

RonaldM, Alvie, inffy and 8 others like this.
  5. stuart_Foy
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

Thanks Carl, much appreciated :)

6. F_Gm_Teenykimi_Lujg
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

Thank you for the official acknowledgement! please let us know at the earliest. ^^

7. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Jun 18, 2016

harlekinwashere , Jun 18, 2016 :
    A quick promise of looking into the matter (you can thank me later.. ;) ) is a good first step, but please understand that what you as a customer are looking for is either

- a confirmation that they can "fix it in software" without it effecting even different app usage or any future application that sensor might be used for (what about custom roms)

- an acknowledgement that this is a hardware issue - and Oneplus is willing to RMA (take back) effected devices

With the "promise of action" Oneplus banned my forum account (no ip ban) and with it removed all tips on how to proceed as a community in case those two important steps aren't reached, while users are still under risk of being stuck with a faulty device after the 14 day grace period is over.

Please don't ban this account as well just for mentioning it, I'll need some access to this community in the following weeks and would appreciate it, if it survives. :)

It's still a bit odd how this issue could have slipped by quality control, considering that it shows up in the device metrics (thats just the part of the argument that says - we shouldn't have to have told them, that it is there) - and It is highly ironic, that Oneplus didn't bother to test VR on their devices when their own launch campaign was nothing but VR.

You have to be willing to take this much criticism at least...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016

washichi likes this.
  8. malidan
    Marshmallow Jun 18, 2016

malidan , Jun 18, 2016 :
    Interesting. i spoke to one of the peer winners last night and he mentioned the screen highly sensitive and ask him if it was ghost touch, he said no and now thiso_O

9. stuart_Foy
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

You're not really adding anything to this though - we know what to do. Not that I agree you getting banned is the correct thing to do. We're taking rational steps to solve the issue, though.

If it's an issue that OP won't admit to, I'm pretty sure there are pretty simple legal steps I can go through to get a refund - as the product clearly has a quantifiable fault.

10. Capta1nZap

Capta1nZap , Jun 18, 2016 :
    This makes me worried :| I just hope not all devices are affected by this issue...

11. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Jun 18, 2016

harlekinwashere , Jun 18, 2016 :
    @stuart_Foy: I added an element of not caring about recognition, but actually telling stories about what this means to certain interests, and how their marketing didn't fit in, in regards to the outcome we are seeing right now.

It is all fine and not really an issue, if you want to portrait yourselves as a company that openly acknowledges even small issues like lags during the initial startup of a smartphone, and fixes them before launch - but then, its an issue if you fail to look at the telemetry data and ship a device with a faulty sensor, because of it.

Its all fine (well part of it) to use VR as a vehicle to drum up some hype - so people will look at your launch event at all - it is not ok to then in return show, that you internally don't care about VR much at all (because it is still early) - not even to a point where you'd consider testing any of it on your device, before or after the launch.

Having shown that the issue exists and linked it to telemetry data, that shows that it exists, is the most valuable part in helping us tackle the issue going forward

- but, not being able to talk about how it actually feels that this issue happened (hey, benefit of the doubt, as long as they actually do something), that reviewers didn't catch it, and more importantly, that Oneplus "looking into it" - is not the moment interest in keeping this a high priority matter should be falling of - is something we have to look into as well.

The real battle is getting this resolved if it turns out to be a hardware or design issue, and Oneplus has about 1 mio preproduced units they are moving into peoples hands every day.

So making sure Oneplus has to react to a public sentiment that says - hey, we caught you skipping over those process issues (it should have been caught in preproduction) you skipped over in the past, and we saw you putting up adverts that are aimed at making people believe you care about things you actually don't (not just talking about VR) - is the only way you'll get them to do the right thing, even if it is not in their immediate economic interest.

Showing them technical proof that they messed up is not the same as reaching an outcome that you can live with.

Silencing the critical voice is always somewhat popular in order to keep the peace within a society - its more knowing when to thank "an account named Carl" and when to stop asking people to promote, that currently there is an issue - that is still not resolved, I am concerned with.

For example - how do you match that in all honesty it will take Oneplus probably a week to look into this issue - but in the same week there are people out there that will loose their right to return the device - if Oneplus doesn't acknowledge this to be a hardware issue that they have shipped with?

Part of how censorship works is that you define how you like people to react in certain situations (keep calm and collected, and technical in your reflections) - and if you show them, that you can do it with "authority" - they will start self policing situations in this "new image" of what is acceptable and whats not.

Always keep this in mind. ;)

Now back to the topic (which means, that for now - I am returning to my silent position up in the rafters.. ;) )

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016

12. bhanuteja200bc
    Honeycomb Jun 18, 2016

13. Capta1nZap

Capta1nZap , Jun 18, 2016 :
    Glad to hear that ! I hope mine has no issues as well, cause I'm going on a trip and don't have time for RMA & stuff...

14. santhoshhv
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2016

santhoshhv , Jun 18, 2016 :
    My indian variant has this issue ... Did you run any VR app ? every 5 secs you get the menu, as if i pulled the magnetic trigger of the VR box ..

15. santhoshhv
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2016

BTW , i tested navigation app, no issues over there ..I think the google map is very resilient to such spikes.. As of now I see it happening for VR apps and compass..

16. santhoshhv
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2016

As such there is no ghost touch on everything.. Its only that there are magnetic spiikes causing these in VR and compass apps..

stuart_Foy likes this.
  17. F_Gm_Teenykimi_Lujg
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

Can you post a screenshot with magnetic sensor app pls?
    can you also mention which software version you are on? Are you completely in stock firmware?
    OxygenOS 3.1.2?
    rooted?
    Custom recovery?

18. santhoshhv
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2016

Attached Files:

19. bhanuteja200bc
    Honeycomb Jun 18, 2016

washichi and F_Gm_Teenykimi_Lujg like this.
  20. F_Gm_Teenykimi_Lujg
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016