[Giveaway] 5 Questions with Lex: Why OnePlus for Gaming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Oct 15, 2019

Ruby G. , Oct 15, 2019 :
    forum_02.png

Hi friends,

I recently got the chance to connect with Lex, who some of you may know from Brawl Stars. He’s a fairly new member of the OnePlus community, and a mobile gaming enthusiast to boot. I thought it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on why he decided to join us and our soon-to-be-available-for-open-sale OnePlus 7T. So I tossed him 5 quick questions, and this is what he had to say. Read till the end so that you don’t miss our sweet giveaway.

1) Why did you choose OnePlus over any of the other brand who are also making gaming phones?
    Every other company that makes Phones geared to gaming seem to fail in making the Phone good at...well actually being a phone first and foremost. That’s one of the many reasons I love OnePlus. Is the 7T tremendous for gaming? 100% yes, but it’s a smart phone before anything else and if you were to take away the gaming aspect, I would still choose it because of the Phone itself.

2) What's your history with OnePlus devices?
    I’m a newbie to OnePlus! I’ve used Apple and Samsung products mainly for the past decade. I left iOS for Android (more on that in a minute) and got a Samsung, which I really liked. The first time I tried out the OnePlus (7 Pro) I was sold. So much so I went out and bought a 7 Pro for my son and daughter. My wife has her eye on one too! So while I’m new to OnePlus I’m a massive fan of what they do, and how they do it.

3) Is there a reason why you prefer gaming on Android over iOS?
    I don’t know if there is a specific reason when it comes to gaming. There are times when games aren’t on iTunes because of Apples governing, but for the most part I just like the Android experience better. It’s more intuitive while at the same time being less restrictive. I used iOS for years and years and I don’t mind it, but for me, Android is just better. Specifically OnePlus and the Oxygen OS is so good. All the other manufacturers just pile on needless apps that can’t be removed. It’s really frustrating, but Oxygen is clean, fast and not cluttered at all.

4) If you had to identify one quality of the OnePlus 7T that makes it a standout choice for mobile gamers, what would it be?
    You’re going to make me choose just ONE? Oh man. I want to say the 90hz display, but that’s too obvious (although amazing). I’m going to say the new Warp Charge 30T and here is why; For hardcore gamers you’ll play for hours on end sometimes. When you do that you need to plug in to keep the power flowing. With the Warp charge, not only does it charge you up really fast so you can unplug again, but while it’s doing it you feel zero heat buildup or performance hit.

5) What is one area that you'd like to see OnePlus optimize in their smartphones for even better gaming experiences?
    This is a big question that I’m probably ill equipped to answer. I know I’m in love with gaming mode on my phones. I would like to see even bigger screens, but I know that’s very much personal preference. Heck even a OnePlus Tablet? Ok... now I’m going off on a tangent. Aside from specific relationships with developers to optimize games for the phone, like what they did with PUBG, I think OnePlus has given gamers pretty much all they need in one amazing device.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 5.40.02 PM.png

If you’ve read until the end, thanks! Here’s how to participate in this US-region giveaway: pick one of the questions above, and reply to this thread with your own answer for a chance to win a pair of Bullets Wireless 2. We'll keep this opportunity open until October 28th, so get your answers in soon. Standard terms and conditions apply. Looking forward to reading your thoughts :)

10/31 Update
    Thank you to everyone who has answered. I loved reading the stories of how everyone got into OnePlus, and just as importantly, all of the device suggestion feedback. Congratulations to @MosheG1 for being the winner of this giveaway!

2. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 16, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 16, 2019 :
    Question 1:
    I chose OnePlus over other phones, because while many phones have top level processors like OnePlus even in the mid tier range,

1) OnePlus has faster charging then most to let me get back to gaming or whatever else it is I'm doing

2) It also has an oled panel combined with a high resolution screen (I'm using the 7pro) and a huge percentage of the color gamut that make the gaming or really any action on the phone that much nicer

3) Since the 7pro OnePlus has also included a 90 hz screen which makes every scroll it flick of the finger that much more satisfying and every if some phones like the Razer phone have 120 hz, most games don't support 120 hz rather just 90

4) The 7pro (and in all the new phones) has a improved haptic feedback for vibration during gaming which makes a big difference in the feel of a game and gives a more immersive experience (especially when combined with the stereo speakers) and the haptic touch is great for something as simple as texting as it makes it seem like we almost have a tactical keyboard again and makes it that much nicer while texting!

5) Unlike traditional gaming phones, OnePlus phones has great cameras as seen in any "shot on OnePlus" contest unlike the Asus ROG phone 2.

6) You can get up to 12 gigs of RAM and 256 gigs of storage for much cheaper then competitors, and I love being able to tell my friends that my phone has more ram and storage then their computer!

7) All of this combined with minimal bloatware and amazing software that keeps the phone blazing-fast ensures that I will continue to game content and use OnePlus phones for many years to come with it's excellent updates!

and while some manufacturers produce phones that some of these qualities, none have all or combine all of it as seamlessly as OnePlus to make a phone that is amazing while gaming and even when not gaming all at a super competitive price point!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019

3. MosheG1

@Ruby G. can I answer more then one question? I really want to win a pair and have been entering all these contests for a pair of bullets wireless 2 but I haven't won one yet and I'm hoping this will be the one!

4. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Oct 16, 2019

BobbyV8_ , Oct 16, 2019 :
    1. When you said 'phone', all in comparison begins and that includes an optimised OS in which those gaming centric manufacturers are way behind.

2. OnePlus is no less a gaming phone with top line specs. 12GB RAM, SD 855+, 90Hz refresh rate, Warp 30T topped by the dedicated gaming mode. One doesn't need more than this to do hardcore gaming.

3. Something that OnePlus lacks is official gaming accessories like an external controller, cooling aid. But upon connecting an external controller it is no more a mobile gaming experience.

4. Who would want to carry all the additional attachments in their pocket - cooling kit, additional battery, controller blah blah and still call it compact gaming device!? OnePlus gets me best of gaming, photography and Utility with minimal equipment to carry around (Heck! I don't even carry my charger)

That's some nice questioning @Ruby G.

5. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Oct 16, 2019

Ruby G. , Oct 16, 2019 :
    Aww good luck this time! We're only counting the first entry from each user account.

6. MosheG1

crash180, X1568881911204 and inavda like this.
  7. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Oct 16, 2019

The1Lion , Oct 16, 2019 :
    I guess 2 or 3 would be closes to what I could actually give a reasonable answer to ;)

Let's do 2 because I like talking about history! :p

I was hunting for a new Android after my initial Android introduction phone (HTC One S from T-Mobile) was starting to fill up it's 16 GB internal storage and also not getting any love although I did eventually get the bootloader unlocked and CyanogenMod installed :cool:

So the hunt had me pricing a Note 4 because it has the specs that seemed the best at the time and while doing my research I run across an article about a phone I never heard of - OnePlus One. Saw it was a Chinese manufacturer and due to having a "clone phone" from China (bought on eBay) wasn't too sure about spending the money on it. I eventually convinced myself to look into it more. Then found out about the invite system and thought "oh well" as it wasn't tempting to buy an invite from eBay just to order the phone, but luckily I also found the forums and got myself setup and starting interacting with folks here. Before too long, I had two invites back to back. I used one and returned the other the user that had offered it up so they could pass it along to another person looking to get their hands on the One.

I still remember my excitement when the phone arrived. I showed it off at work, with friends and family. I was feeling pretty proud of my "invite only" phone :p Then three months later it would not turn back on :eek: Long story short, I got a replacement for OnePlus and continued to use it up until December 2018 ;) Still have it and have replaced the battery, runs Lineage OS but it's not my daily driver as I said (I have two boys who need phones - well one at least).

Last October OnePlus offered to bring my out to the NYC launch and I quickly signed up to help out at the 6T launch. It was an amazing device and I started to feel like it was time for me to update my OnePlus One! I have to say, the T-Mobile $300 value for trade-in was very tempting but my current plan is like 1/2 the cost of the T-Mobile plan so I'd be giving $300+ back to T-Mobile over time :oops: I was still convinced I'd be getting a 6T perhaps as a Christmas gift to myself. I had been looking at trying to get the OP 6 prior and liked the red color. So when OnePlus put the 6 on sale during the Black Friday sale AND made red available again, it was a no-brainer for me ;)

Been rocking the OP 6 which is my first Oxygen OS phone for about a year now and loving it. Pics are looking good, performance is good and I am now awaiting my notice that the Android 10 OTA is available for download... soon!

8. lucasrubeng@gmai
    Cupcake Oct 16, 2019

lucasrubeng@gmai , Oct 16, 2019 :
    1) Why did you choose OnePlus over any of the other brand who are also making gaming phones?
    I choosed one plus mainly for the price tag and it's features (good hardware ; a solid display ;snapdragon !: Dash charge / Warp charge : Night mode ; Good camera) and of course good support not only from oneplus but also from the community.

X1568881911204 and Ruby G. like this.
  9. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Oct 16, 2019

G_plusone , Oct 16, 2019 :
    Emulators :p
    I am not sure about Emulators on iOS but emulators help me play most of the games I used to play on 8 bit gaming to PlayStation PS2 porting is still a work in progress but there are lots of games to play and I don't have to carry all those consoles with I can cast to screen and game away :D along
    With Controller support for most game ports

X1568881911204, MosheG1 and Ruby G. like this.
  10. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Oct 16, 2019

Cheetosdust , Oct 16, 2019 :
    Many thanks for the opportunity, @Ruby G.

Yes, I would love to try a OnePlus tablet to see what's the vision the company has for that segment. However, I don't think I'll be able since that's a market where Android still struggles to make a dent - especially in comparison to what Apple is doing.

But yeah, a OnePlus tablet with a 90Hz displays sounds great. :cool:

I picked one of the questions above, like I was instruc.. oh, oh you mean one of the questions you made to Lex? My bad, got confused there :D:p

I'm kidding, good luck to everyone that's going to participate. Great prizes as always and the questions - yes, the five questions :p - are pretty cool too. Have fun and I'm curious to read the answers.

11. MosheG1

@G_plusone

Emulators
    I am not sure about Emulators on iOS but emulators help me play most of the games I used to play on 8 bit gaming to PlayStation PS2 porting is still a work in progress but there are lots of games to play and I don't have to carry all those consoles with I can cast to screen and game away along
    With Controller support for most game ports

good point! however, you can get emulators on an iPhone as well, I had a friend who had an iPhone 7+ downloaded an emulator and we played Pokemon mystery dungeon for the nostalgia

12. MosheG1

however I'm not sure if you can cast to a screen or use a remote controller, so there may be a big benefit there

13. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Oct 16, 2019

G_plusone , Oct 16, 2019 :
    Oh didn't know much about iOS emulators as I said . Also another reason is saved data handling and portability on Android :D
    I can compress game files when I need space and uncompress them I need to play those ISOs take up a good amount of space even if I need to delete some I can Always get it back from the PC :)

Yes that is a benefit I am not sure if AirPlay works that way and about the controllers

14. MosheG1

good to know, thanks!

X1568881911204 and G_plusone like this.
  15. meatandy
    Oreo Oct 16, 2019

meatandy , Oct 16, 2019 :
    My history with OnePlus began back in October of 2014 when I bought the OnePlus One during the very first open sales event , Then picked up a second 'one' a month later , Then came the OPX ....
    We used the Ones as daily drivers for over two years until the OnePlus 3 came along which I also used for another two years when I hopped on a OP6 and 6T shortly afterwards which are still in use today.
    If my current upgrade cycle continues maybe I'll be surfing with the OP8 .

16. Vansh99

Vansh99 , Oct 16, 2019 :
    Probably the question I can really relate to as other questions are only about gaming, and I, myself, don't consider myself a gamer by playing only CoD or Pubg ._.

I was introduced to OnePlus by a friend of mine, he owned a OnePlus 3. Me being only 15, I couldn't go out and buy the phone. But I was amazed by its performance and 6 GB RAM really sold me. A person I knew wanted to upgrade from his note 3 and 3T just came out and I showed him the performance on YouTube vids, and boy was he sold. He bought it and he hasn't regretted that purchase at all. I was really envying him as I wanted a OnePlus phone but here I was, stuck on my iPhone 5s (my entire family is an Apple family, can't blame me).

Six months pass, OnePlus 5 comes out and around the same time iPhone 5s starts to "slow down" quite significantly and I finally was allowed to buy it. I was so satisfied with the charging and its long lasting battery and fast asf fingerprint, 1080p OLED, superior performance...everything was an "upgrade" for me, for a much cheaper price than all of the iPhones. OnePlus 5t comes out, I was genuinely disappointed I couldn't wait because I really loved its bigger screen but oh well, I like front fingerprint scanners so I let it go.

Fast forward to OnePlus 6t, I really liked the waterdrop notch and front facing fingerprint. I was tempted to buy it but I wanted to wait for stereo speakers. It was a hard pass but remember the guy I helped buying the 3T? I sent him videos from the launch event in NYC and he his first question was "when can I buy it?" He didn't want to upgrade as desperately like he did from Note 3 to OnePlus 3T because his 3T never slowed down but also wanted that screen. I helped him buy it and same story began, I was really jealous of him because I wanted a big screen but I held off, promised to myself that I won't upgrade until I get stereo speakers.

Then May 2019 came, OnePlus 7 Pro launch was coming and I was invited to volunteer at the event. I had hours of hands on time before the public did :p and I fell in love with the no notch screen, especially after finding out about the stereo speakers and 90 Hz. I was at the demo area, had 6 phones on my counter and people came, looked at them and went "wow, look at that screen". That further boosted my confidence that it's time to get it. Few weeks later, I sacrifice my beloved OnePlus 5 by selling it so I can have enough money to buy the 7 Pro (Student life, tuition eats the money :p ). I've been using it for a few months now, I honestly don't know what else I wanted. Wireless charging? Sure would've been a bonus but isn't something I'll upgrade for. I didn't know I wanted 90Hz until I experienced it. I love the display, wouldn't want anything bigger. Stereo speakers and front facing fingerprint (sure not as fast as Op5 but quite fast) have been fantastic. I have some dust inside the front speaker grill, no idea how to clean it and that's been bugging me but I'm getting used to it.

Performance of both Op5 and 7pro have been smooth and fast, unlike my iPhone 5s or my mom's iPhone 8plus which started to lag a little (came same year as op5). My friends with Samsung S8s have definitely suffered stutters, something my OnePlus 5 never did. Me, being a fan of software, brought me to OnePlus and probably will keep me here as the software doesn't age like other Android phones' software does. Well this got a little longer than I initially anticipated, sorry for such a long passage so I'll end it here :)

X1568881911204, MosheG1 and Ruby G. like this.
  17. hdao04
    Cupcake Oct 16, 2019

hdao04 , Oct 16, 2019 :

OnePlus manages to balance the best of form and function. The other two major gaming phones that come to mind are the Razer Phone and Asus ROG phone. Both perform very well, neither are up to par aesthetically.

G_plusone and X1568881911204 like this.
  18. minus_plus
    Gingerbread Oct 17, 2019

minus_plus , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Oct 17, 2019 :

I have been with OnePlus since the begining. I remember learning of their radical plan to shake up the market and paid close attention. When the One was announced I began saving and looking for an invite. Within the first month of launch I was holding my opo. I rocked that baby for two and a half years before deciding to upgrade. I again was an early buyer when the 5 came out and rocked that phone for years. When the need for an extra phone in the house arose I took the opportunity to upgrade yet again. I now rock the 7 pro! I have been a very happy supporter of OnePlus and will continue to be into the future.

X1568881911204 likes this.
  19. tcshill
    Cupcake Oct 17, 2019

tcshill , Oct 17, 2019 :

Yeah, so I've jumped phones a lot. Just a brief history Windows Phone (RIP) --> HTC --> LG --> Nexus --> Pixel --> Iphone --> OnePlus. It honestly feels like I've found the sweet spot with OnePlus.

For one, the device just looks and operates great. The refresh rate on the new phones is the real deal, and it's really just a unique experience using this device over other one's on the market, especially for playing games and consuming content. I work in a pretty Pro-Apple environment, and this is the only Android phone that has made people consider flipping for (one moved to a Oneplus 6T). It's blazing fast, and works a whole lot better than other android devices with games like PUBG and what not.

Another reason, is Oxygen OS. It's such a clean version of Android, and the customization that is added is very appreciated. One I've enjoyed is Game Space, which to be honest I thought was going to be kind of lackluster, but has been a great help organizing games I actually play. OnePlus has honestly been one of the only companies I've seen actively listen to their community for suggestions and implement them in software updates. Also, OnePlus is doing great with Android updates which is important to me when making a purchase.

But yeah, those are just a couple of the main reasons I choose this over the other performance gaming phones out there. Happy to part of the club!

Vansh99 likes this.
  20. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 17, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 17, 2019 :
    nice!

Starcommander likes this.