[Giveaway] T-Mobile's 5G Rollout Explained : Is it time to make the jump?

1. Texasaggie1
    US Brand Ambassador Dec 6, 2019

Texasaggie1 , Dec 6, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

What's up y'all?! It's Randy one of the US Brand Ambassadors and today I want to talk about T-mobile's 5G roll out! The initial network officially went live this week. The OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition launches today (Dec 6) at T-Mobile. It's one of the first 5G phones on the T-Mobile network! (awww yeah the 7T Pro 5G is coming to the USA!!! But I digress 🤣) For today, I want to focus on the T-Mobile 5G rollout, what it is, and what we can expect from it so let's go ahead and get started!

What is T-mobile 5g?
    T-Mobile's 5G is the company's next-gen Network which is an upgrade to its existing 600 megahertz LTE band and will introduce mmWave (millimeter wave) technology to the mix. 600 mHz is a low frequency band formerly used by UHF channels among other things back in the day (thanks Weird AL). It's signal travels very far with less degradation to its signal than traditional cellular signals. mmWave is the technology that is most often associated with current 5G discussions. It's the high frequency band that can handle a LOT of data but can't go through buildings and most things solid. It needs direct line of sight to function optimally. T-Mobile plans on rolling out the 600 megahertz now and the mmWave frequency gradually over the next several years.

Can't we just get mmWave now?
    Most people are anticipating the extreme speeds of mmWave but for now will be getting the slower but more ubiquitous 600 mHz. I'm sure some people are wondering why we can't just get mmWave right now. mmWave has already been rolled out in limited areas of some larger cities but because of the huge number of transponders that are required it will be several years before it is ubiquitous in most cities. Most likely we will never see it in rural areas except maybe along highways. This is why you don't really need to worry about getting a phone that supports mmWave right now.

What Are the Advantages of 600 mHz?
    There are a ton of advantages to the 600mHz band. 600 megahertz is better for far-reaching coverage, rural areas, and getting coverage inside of buildings. Mmwave is a high frequency radio wave that doesn't travel far, doesn't go through buildings, and requires a transponder on just about every single block. If you lived in a city that had both technologies you would lose the mmWave when you walked into a building but you would have the 600 megahertz when inside.

I'm most excited about the coverage in rural areas. I live in Texas which is a huge state so I'm often traveling from city to city covering many rural miles. Here's an area (between San Saba and Llano, Texas) where I never got coverage before.

[​IMG]

You can see from the map that it's pretty remote. On this section of the trip I had 5G the whole way! It was really exciting!

[​IMG]

Obviously the speeds were nothing to write home about but it was the coverage in such a remote area that was such a win. I've read about some users getting up to around 250mbps on the 600mhz 5G. My speeds have not yet been above 35mbps. T-Mobile has a planned upgrade for 2020 that will make these speeds even faster, but they will never get as fast as the typical mmWave.

So is it worth upgrading to a new 5G phone?
    Currently if you wanted to take advantage of the 5G Network on T-Mobile you would need to get the new McLaren Edition 5G phone from OnePlus which will list for about $899. If you travel in rural areas frequently or if you have trouble getting a LTE signal inside your office building then you definitely should consider this phone. The McLaren edition phones are always super-fast and stylish and turn heads when people see them. You pay extra for that level of premium equipment but it's still less expensive than the competitors 5G phone ($1200). So if you are in rural areas often or have trouble getting service in your office you should definitely consider a McLaren edition 5G phone. Check with T-Mobile's coverage maps and check out a McLaren Edition phone at a T-Mobile store before making your final decision.

What are your thoughts about the 5G technology on the T-Mobile network? Post your answer in the thread! If you're on a 5G network already, post a screenshot in this thread! In honor of launch today, we'll be giving away a 5G swag set to 5 lucky respondents!

[NEVER SETTLE]

Congratulations to the following winners of this giveaway! @BlackKnight2332, @Briana Sophie, @coopatroopa316, @TEKHD, @Z2ROCOOL

2. TMO_Steven
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

TMO_Steven , Dec 6, 2019 :
    T-Mobile has created a nationwide 5G network before any other carrier! I'm so excited to finally have the network advantage and OnePlus is going to help pave the way with the only 5G compatible phone that won't destroy your wallet!

3. Texasaggie1
    US Brand Ambassador Dec 6, 2019

Texasaggie1 , Dec 6, 2019 :
    It's awesome I love it

4. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 6, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 6, 2019 :
    one caveat however is that you will need to pay more for the 5G service on top of buying a more expensive 5G phone, but there are definite benefits to having a 5G phone on T-Mobile network because even though it's not as fast as the millimeter wave you still get speeds faster than that of 4G LTE or equal to some of the best 4G LTE speeds.
    however the technology inside the phones is still fairly new, and the 5G modems inside the phones themselves will start to get better as time progresses and will take less battery life and mushroom inside the phone as time continues and so unless the above statements are necessity to you right now I would wait for 5G phones to come down and price as the technology becomes more readily available and for better speeds and technology inside the phone.
    but I am definitely excited for what is to come!

C1572585695886 and Texasaggie1 like this.
  5. Mramirez3
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

Mramirez3 , Dec 6, 2019 :
    I can't wait to see what 5G has in store for us. I am so lucky that I work for a company that is one of the first to launch 5G and the only one to sell OnePlus phones.

Dar0729, Texasaggie1 and MosheG1 like this.
  6. X1541077338467
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

X1541077338467 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 6, 2019 :
    Honestly, I would buy this if I knew TMobile and OnePlus would actually keep the software updated in a timely basis. Look at any TMobile device and software updates lag substantially. Look at the OnePlus 7Pro 5G and it doesn't have a good record of keeping the software updated. Combined, this could be software update disaster.

7. bobafett160
    Eclair Dec 6, 2019

Texasaggie1 likes this.
  8. P1575174174742
    Froyo Dec 7, 2019

P1575174174742 , Dec 7, 2019 :
    just pay it off and have the phone unlocked and you will get all updates . or buy full price and request unlock

Texasaggie1 likes this.
  9. Vansh99
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2019

Vansh99 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 7, 2019 :
    You won't "get all updates". I think you mean convert to global ROM, you can't convert any 5G OnePlus phone to a global ROM.

Weirdpepperguy and Texasaggie1 like this.
  10. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 7, 2019

meatandy , Dec 7, 2019 :
    Do you feel that the twenty percent network speed bump was worth the price you paid for the device ?

11. Texasaggie1
    US Brand Ambassador Dec 7, 2019

12. narceoneplus2

Texasaggie1 likes this.
  13. H1575701611250
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2019

H1575701611250 , Dec 7, 2019 :
    I think 5G would be great and can be a replacement for Ethernet altogether, but area with bad signal on 4G will do worse with 5G due to low coverage.

Texasaggie1 likes this.
  14. J1573718061038
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2019

J1573718061038 , Dec 7, 2019 :
    Hmmmm.... nice but I got the Haze Blue 7T Pro. just wondering whether it is capable of 5G connectivity

Texasaggie1 likes this.
  15. pponomarev
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2019

Texasaggie1 likes this.
  16. R1572361750278
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2019

R1572361750278 , Dec 7, 2019 :
    I upgraded my galaxy s9 plus to the oneplus 9t pro 5G and the speed is amazing.
    1575726641034.jpg
    In Puerto Rico Tmobile start the 5G roll out and is amazingly fast.

17. oif.vet2k3
    Donut Dec 7, 2019

oif.vet2k3 , via OnePlus 5T , Dec 7, 2019 :
    I will be sticking with TMOs LTE for the time being and not wasting my hard earned money on a gimmick 20% increase with a TMO branded OnePlus phone that will, as some members pointed out already, lag far behind on security patches and updates. Good job going mainstream One+. I will see what comes out of OnePlus factory next year but unfortunately now it's probably a good time to leave you OnePlus.
    1575727464456.jpg

pbernikier and Radeon962 like this.
  18. ronnyhawks

ronnyhawks , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Dec 7, 2019 :
    5G is included with all T-Mobile plans at no extra cost [e]1f44d[/e]🏻

19. R1572361750278
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2019

R1572361750278 , Dec 7, 2019 :
    And as I understand it Tmo share the 600 band between the 4G LTE and the 5G so any person can have one or the other depending on the phone.

Mynamehere and Texasaggie1 like this.
  20. Krzysiek_K
    Froyo Dec 7, 2019

Krzysiek_K , Dec 7, 2019 :
    Year ago I bought 6T for its band 71 using T-Mobile service. To this day I did not have a chance to test band 71 connectivity because of the lack of coverage in my area. I will wait to test it first before entertaining the idea of upgrading to 5G.

Weirdpepperguy and Texasaggie1 like this.