Gmail not show up in Battery Optimization list

1. omlove
    Cupcake Mar 15, 2018

omlove , Mar 15, 2018 :
    New Oneplus 5T, OS 5.0.4, Android 8.0.0

Wiped/reset to factory setting a few times since I had the phone. I'm very familiar with all the settings.

There are other small bugs (or "features" if you will) but this one is big. Gmail and other pre-installed apps like Youtube do not appear in Battery Optimization list. Therefore I assume it is by default optimized. I searched all over the Internet and it seems this is the culprit that Gmail will not push new message after the phone is idle for a while. As soon as I wake up the phone, new messages/notifications will come through - but that defeats the purpose of "notification", why do I have to wake up my phone every now and then? Isn't it the same as I manually check my emails?

I saw many other threads sharing this Gmail not show up in Battery Optimization list problem and I am wondering if the issue is on the to-do list of new update? (Apparently the latest stable version of OS 5.0.4 and many previous versions ignored this problem.)

Many thanks.

tijtij and Gregor Schmitz like this.
  2. DannyM93
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 15, 2018

DannyM93 , Mar 15, 2018 :
    I can confirm that Gmail is indeed not on the list.
    Running 5T Open Beta 4.

3. omlove
    Cupcake Mar 15, 2018

omlove , Mar 15, 2018 :
    I have to add that I am sure Battery Optimization of the Gmail app is the reason that I am not receive new message/notification after the phone is idle for a while. Because in comparison WeChat is on the list and not optimized and it never had any problem pushing new message/notification.

4. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Mar 15, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Mar 15, 2018 :
    unfortunately, system apps don't appear in that list, for reasons unknown to me.

if your phone is rooted, convert these system apps to user apps and reboot. you'll now see them under battery optimisation.

Ishy4Shizzy likes this.
  5. stark2991_PL
    KitKat Mar 15, 2018

stark2991_PL , Mar 15, 2018 :
    Gmail is pre-installed on this phone, as well as YouTube. I think this is the issue - system apps are optimized by default. Installing this apps as normal apps would probably solve the problem, but you can't even uninstall them without root...

6. omlove
    Cupcake Mar 15, 2018

omlove , Mar 15, 2018 :
    Thank you all for the replies. So at this moment, system apps are optimized by default and cannot be modified unless the phone is rooted.

But I suppose there is another mechanism behind this. Gmail, Youtube, Google Maps, Phone, Message, etc are all system apps and none shows up in the Battery Optimization list. However text message will always come through while Gmail will be killed after certain time of idle. If they were equally "optimized", they would have had the same behavior.

Email, SMS text and many other text apps are essentials. That's why this is an issue that I cannot live with.

Beside rooting, I think another choice is to install a different email app. Can anyone recommend?

Many many thanks.

7. stark2991_PL
    KitKat Mar 15, 2018

stark2991_PL , Mar 15, 2018 :
    I don't have any problems with Gmail notifications. They come a few minutes later than on PC, but that's it

8. djpatel2012
    Froyo Mar 15, 2018

9. Android450
    Marshmallow Mar 15, 2018

Android450 , Mar 15, 2018 :
    Blue mail is what I use to manage all my accounts

10. omlove
    Cupcake Mar 15, 2018

omlove , Mar 15, 2018 :
    djpatel2012, Could you share the screen that shows up when you clicked on the "not optimised" area? It should go to the battery optimization list. And if Gmail is indeed in that list, could you please share your version of OS? Thank you.

My version as said above is stock 5T bought a week ago, updated to the lastest OS 5.0.4 OTA, and reset to factory afterwards.

11. djpatel2012
    Froyo Mar 15, 2018

djpatel2012 , Mar 15, 2018 :
    is goes to bettery optimization list, but there isn't gmail app in the list. n yes i m too on stock rom 5.0.4.

12. djpatel2012
    Froyo Mar 15, 2018

13. omlove
    Cupcake Mar 16, 2018

omlove , Mar 16, 2018 :
    Thanks for the reply. However my Gmail app on your same screen says "Optimizing Battery Use" and it seems many other users have the same message.

It is so frustrating. I just talked to two friends and checked their phone, one is google pixel and one is htc. Both of them have a full, long list of apps under "Battery Optimization -> All apps", including many system apps, like "android.app.xxxx". While my 5T only has 7, which are weather, notes, wechat, etc...

Whatever Oneplus team is doing is restricting the user to battery optimize their system apps. But Gmail should not, imho, be a "system app", and receiving email in a timely fashion is nothing but a normal request.

I think they can just not pre-install the gmail app and all is good.

Carsten12V likes this.
  14. Eustacio Sealy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 16, 2018

Eustacio Sealy , Mar 16, 2018 :
    Thanks to all that replayed to this person inquiry for the issue that is mentioned making the comparison of the pixel with not the same as oxígen os running on our device

15. s011062
    Cupcake May 24, 2018

s011062 , May 24, 2018 :
    I've got the same problem here. Since using OP5T, gmail and calendar sometimes not showing notification until open the app. What I have seen is that Samsung and Xiaomi do have "Show system apps" in battery optimization. They perform as expected after turning off. I think OP team should include system app like Gmail, Google Photo and Google calendar in battery optimization.

16. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2018

pgrey , May 24, 2018 :
    You can limit the number of total background processes, if you use dev. options.
    This will likely "enforce" doze on more of the built-in apps, which OP doesn't expose (I'm not an android dev expert, but I bet it's a pain to manage these, compared to an app that's not integral, or sort of anyway).

GMail is my biggest annoyance of these. I mostly use another email and cloud space for most stuff; my GMail is primarily an "Android cloud space" management tool, I probably look at those emails once a month, if that.
    Even if I completely disable background data though, GMail continues to get push notifications, and chews through the background data. I've long suspected this is a bug, but haven't filed it, for the same reason as above. Seems like this would've changed some time ago, if it were an easy fix. We had some interesting names for feature/bugs, in my dev days ;-]

17. tWoBrO
    Gingerbread May 24, 2018

tWoBrO , May 24, 2018 :
    You can uninstall them without root. It's really easy actually, take a look: https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

And yes, i have done it. Yesterday i uninstall a bunch of apps from my OP5 with this method.

stark2991_PL likes this.
  18. aldamon
    Cupcake May 26, 2018

aldamon , May 26, 2018 :
    This is a cool tip, but not relevant to the thread. What this does is disable apps so it's only useful for apps that can't normally be disabled in Settings. Disabled is NOT removed.

For example, if you use this method on GMail in order to "remove" it as a system app, then "reinstall" it from the Play Store as a normal app, its underlying system app will be re-enabled and it still will not be listed under the Battery Optimization list. Pretty disappointing because I thought this was the fix people have been waiting for for over a year now with system apps and battery optimization.

19. justwondering
    Gingerbread Jun 30, 2018

justwondering , Jun 30, 2018 :
    I have the same issue ,but I found the app "inbox" it is made by Google and works the same as Gmail , almost identical ,but you can turn off battery optimization...

Ishy4Shizzy likes this.
  20. sib4897
    Cupcake Jul 26, 2018

sib4897 , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Thanks for this, I've got the OnePlus 5 and only recently this problem has arisen, quite why I don't know. Anyway, installing Inbox and even with the battery set as optimise in the app the notification light has now returned.

justwondering likes this.