Gmail push notifications are broken via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. pepedaman
    Froyo Apr 7, 2021

pepedaman , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 7, 2021 :
    Hi.
    Gmail doesn't get new notifications for some reason.
    I tried every recomendation online and every setting I could find.
    Tried resetting cache, resetting the app (unninstall and install), tried removing and connecting my Google accounts but the result is still the same.
    Gmail only updates when I open the all and manually refresh.

This is a major bug, specially when people need their phone for work, which is my case.
    1617811826281.jpg

1617811826235.jpg

1617811826259.jpg

2. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 7, 2021

Best Answer
    Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 7, 2021 :
    Reset the App permissions, it may be that an app or apps or something connected is causing the issue.

Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > see all apps > select three dots > Reset app preferences.

Then reboot.

⚠️This will not delete your apps data but you will have to provide permissions for all your Apps again.⚠️

Then ensure Gmail has Notifications enabled in its App info>Notifications.

Fembel, erlik28, WellKristOff and 4 others like this.
  3. pepedaman
    Froyo Apr 7, 2021

pepedaman , Apr 7, 2021 :
    That did work!

But providing back permissions for ALL Apps it's a very big pain, since it doesnt ask for them when i open an app. I have to go to settings and manually give permissions. any work around for that?

paulswift36 and Caomhin like this.
  4. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 7, 2021 :
    Did your phone by any change have transferred data and apps from previous phone via Oneplus Switch?
    My was a clean slate. Not even Google data during setup. Gmail has not been changed in anyway and works fine with standard settings for me

puccellino and Caomhin like this.
  5. pepedaman
    Froyo Apr 7, 2021

Caoimhín likes this.
  6. Swejuggalo

Doesn't any app ask automatically for any permission at all? Should automatically come up when requested by the app

puccellino and Caomhin like this.
  7. Swejuggalo

Seen far to many glitches. I only copy back important files from Onedrive myself.
    When it works it's great. But if it introduces issues the time you might have saved by a full transfer quickly turns to loss of time.

Caoimhín likes this.
  8. pepedaman
    Froyo Apr 7, 2021

pepedaman , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 7, 2021 :
    Not really.
    If I try to use an app with microphone use it does ask for permission. But some apps, like WhatsApp for example,since the permissions were reset it doesn't show the contacts name, only number. And I have to provide those permissions manually after the recommended reset.

Caoimhín likes this.
  9. Caomhin

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 7, 2021 :
    That's unusual because when you reset all permissions, as you open each app again, it should ask to allow access to whatever access it requires. Not sure why it happened the way you mention. This may be something unique with Android 11. As I do know security aspects were changed. I have only tried it on Android 10 myself and it does request access as I open each app.

I have heard that OnePlus switch may carry over some cache or data files from the backup and as you say it may be the cause of the initial issue. Android 11 uses Scoped storage as opposed to the storage system for Android 10. This introduced further security levels and access for the system and apps.

Anyway, glad it resolved the issue without major disruption other than manually having to allow permissions. 👍

abhisheksh and pepedaman like this.
  10. pepedaman
    Froyo Apr 7, 2021

the_o2 and Caoimhín like this.
  11. Caomhin

the_o2 likes this.
  12. vojtechm
    Froyo Apr 9, 2021

vojtechm , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 9, 2021 :
    Is it still working for you? It seems to be just a temporary fix and after couple of hours/days it stops working again.

paulswift36, RT33 and OmeyOcan like this.
  13. OmeyOcan
    Cupcake Apr 9, 2021

OmeyOcan , Apr 9, 2021 :
    I have the same issue. I am an owner of OnePlus 9 Pro for 6 days and I have this issue from day 1. I tried a lot of suggestions on the internet and none of them worked. This is my first OnePlus phone, so I did not transfer any data. It is becoming frustrating for me to deal with such a basic thing on a high end phone. It is not some low or mid range phone and as a consumer I expect that a 1000€ phone can alert me when I get a new mail. This is basic stuff. Why is it not a priority to fix this issue? Are people that have this problem rare, or do they just don't care?
    Today I tried the: "Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > see all apps > select three dots > Reset app preferences. Then reboot."
    Will update you for how long it works. If it does not... what can I do? Can I return the phone? Because this is a thing I can not tolerate.

14. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 9, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 9, 2021 :
    If the issue persists after trying the suggested possible fix. Please send Bug reports and give Feedback on the issues back to the OnePlus OOS developers. So that they can investigate them. Thank you.

Community App Feedback tool
    https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

You can also contact bughunters@oneplus.com

15. Chinaroad
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2021

Chinaroad , Apr 9, 2021 :
    Happened to me, but the i uninstalled th gmail updates from the settings, then disabled auto-update, then i went to account in the settings, resynced manually, and now it works

Swejuggalo likes this.
  16. areeyeteeeyekay
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2021

areeyeteeeyekay , Apr 24, 2021 :
    I am using a OP 9 pro. This is happening to me too. I tried everything available online but it only works for a while. The notifications stop coming after a few days. This is really frustrating as it is so basic. Has anyone found a permanent fix to the problem?

17. Bronkos
    Froyo Apr 27, 2021

Bronkos , Apr 27, 2021 :
    Same probleme here... i tried different fixes but after some days gmail push stops working.

18. Bronkos
    Froyo Apr 28, 2021

Bronkos , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 28, 2021 :
    I figured out that after rebooting my phone the gmail sync works for some hours. The messages pop up on the notification bar as intended. But then it stops and i have to open the gmail app to trigger a sync. This is very annoying. It must be a bug because it works after every reboot for a short period of time.

19. RT33
    Cupcake Apr 29, 2021

RT33 , Apr 29, 2021 :
    I am also getting fed up with manually checking my emails. FIX IT!

And no, i am not going to submit a bug report. Its not our job to do their job. Oneplus needs to do the beta-testing, not customers.

vojtechm likes this.
  20. Ravinhurst
    Cupcake May 1, 2021

Ravinhurst , May 1, 2021 :
    You obviously have no idea how software works. They most definitely did beta-testing, and probably never ran into this problem. They don't test it with a beta-test involving millions of people. That would be cost prohibitive. That is the reason for bug reporting. If everyone who has the issue reports it, it gives them an idea of how widespread it is, and what priority to give the fix. I am also having this problem, the work around worked for about a week, but it cropped back up again hence why I am here, but to demand they fix it, then refuse to report the bug just makes the problem worse. Either live with it, man up and report it so hopefully it will be fixed, or move on to another phone. If you choose option 3, good luck finding one that will meet your beta-test expectations. Apple, Samsung, LG, Motorola, none of them use beta-tests involving millions of people.

patrick_vancity likes this.