Gmail sync issue via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. Prince9020
    Donut Nov 30, 2021

2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Nov 30, 2021

Dresa91 , Nov 30, 2021 :
    Can you please disable battery optimization for Gmail?

3. Prince9020
    Donut Nov 30, 2021

Prince9020 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 30, 2021 :
    Already disabled. Also done all the things which was suggested by other in OnePlus community such as wipe cache, force stop, uninstall gmail & update it, logout gmail account etc..
    1638253074075.jpg

4. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Nov 30, 2021

5. Xcommunicad0
    Lollipop Nov 30, 2021

Xcommunicad0 , via OnePlus 8T , Nov 30, 2021 :
    Hi, check these settings as well..

1638278650583.jpg

Caomhin and Dresa91 like this.
  6. Prince9020
    Donut Dec 2, 2021

7. Prince9020
    Donut Dec 2, 2021

8. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Dec 2, 2021

Dresa91 , Dec 2, 2021 :
    What Gmail and OxygenOS version are you using?

Xcommunicad0 likes this.
  9. Xcommunicad0
    Lollipop Dec 2, 2021

Xcommunicad0 , via OnePlus 8T , Dec 2, 2021 :
    Well then as a last resort try clearing storage for all Google apps including Android System WebView, restart and check.

Shailender Sharma and Dresa91 like this.
  10. Xcommunicad0
    Lollipop Dec 2, 2021

Shailender Sharma and Dresa91 like this.
  11. Dresa91

12. Prince9020
    Donut Dec 2, 2021

13. Dresa91

14. Jan Kutik
    Donut Dec 3, 2021

Jan Kutik , Dec 3, 2021 :
    I'm facing the very same issue. It started suddenly some weeks ago, maybe more than a month now. I didn't change anything, didn't install anything. Went through other threads and tried some tricks. Battery optimization is already disabled, that was the first thing I tried when realized I'm not getting any notifications from gmail. I installed the latest OTA as well, but no luck immediately after reboot it was working for a minute but afterwards no notifications are showing when I send emails to my gmail account. The emails are only loaded and shown when I open gmail app and wait like 5sec to actually sync with backend server I believe. Looks like the phone is trying too hard to suspend background activity of apps for some reason. Other apps are receiving notifications fine after I disabled battery optimization for those apps.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021

15. Jan Kutik
    Donut Dec 3, 2021

Jan Kutik , Dec 3, 2021 :
    I guess I found the FIX, at least temporary fix until fully resolved by Google. so Its more of a workaround so to say. Just uninstall updates on Google Play Services and reboot your phone. Afterwards gmail sync is working fine again for me and I'm also getting notifications on new emails. Found this solution proposed on one xda forum thread, where a lot of people is already complaining about gmail not syncing. This will also resolve the issue with distorted icon of "Google / Services & preferences" in the phone settings.
    I'm a bit astonished that Google is not aware and not looking into this since it is definitely an issue or bug in one of the recent Google Play Services updates.
    Also happy to see it is not related to OP battery optimization or RAM boost or any other features on OP9pro. I'm running OOS 11.2.10.10.LE15DA

NOTE: trying older gmail versions didn't help at all, neither wiping cache, clearing app data, disabling battery optimization, disabling RAM boost, or fiddling with all settings within gmail app or your gmail account I spent hours on this and nothing fixed the issue, except the trick with uninstalling updates on Google Play Services, therefore I encourage everyone to give it a try first, before wasting time on other solutions. I also enabled battery optimization for gmail and still receiving notifications about new emails immediately when sent from other device :cool:

16. Jan Kutik
    Donut Dec 10, 2021

Jan Kutik , Dec 10, 2021 :
    unfortunately this lasted only few days and gmail stopped syncing again. I realized the issue is getting a bit wider, in sense that not only gmail stops syncing on the background, but also some other google components, like drive, keep notes etc. stop syncing suddenly. Even going to google account and hitting SYNC NOW does nothing. Restart of the phone usually helps but only for very short period. I tried to wipe cache via recovery not once, remove my entire google account from the phone and add again from the scratch. Already disabled battery optimization on the apps, made sure that all apps are up to date and triple-checked all setting for background data, syncing and notification behaviors.
    While trying to fix this I realized that distorted icon of "Google / Services & preferences" in the phone settings is back and moreover now there is another icon distorted after the latest update of OP wellbeing. New updated popped-up yesterday, and now also this system icon "Digital Wellbeing & parental controls" is distorted in setting.
    I have a feeling that the OS is getting more and more broken, which is astonishing since I run this phone for less than 2 months and was having 0 issues till now. The only think I didn't try yet, is factory reset, which is a last resort so to say, I would like to avoid this since it is not very convenient and requires huge effort to put everything back together.
    Any ideas are welcomed. thx!

Attached Files:

17. dom_k
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Dec 10, 2021

dom_k , Dec 10, 2021 :
    Guys if any of suggested thing didn't work for you, you may consider to update to Android 12. According few users is this problem fixed by this update. But first read please another feedbacks from the users because this update have also some bugs.

Dresa91 likes this.