going to london...what are best options

1. vdubpower
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2016

vdubpower , Aug 2, 2016 :
    hey so i have a opo in california, on att
    will be in london next week...i should just be able to swap out my card for a UK card right...i should already be unlocked??

also , will my whats app be convereted to the UK number or still be USA number

also sorry for posting this in maybe not the right forum, i cannot figure out how to use this forum organization to see all categories

any help on that would be great

2. kiran.sampathnr
    Honeycomb Aug 2, 2016

kiran.sampathnr , Aug 2, 2016 :
    OPO is unlocked so you can just pop in your UK sim...
    In whatsapp you have an option to change number just do that and you will retain all you group chats...

3. vdubpower
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2016

vdubpower , Aug 2, 2016 :
    i dont need my current chats...its no big deal, id rather need to use it to communicate with family who will also be in london with me, but not all them will be able to swap sims because they have dumb att iphones under contract..

to chat with them is it best to leave my whats app as a us number or to let it be a u k number

4. remedy
    KitKat Aug 2, 2016

remedy , Aug 2, 2016 :
    I have never needed to tell WhatsApp to change the number when I have local sim roamed in over a dozen countries to date. In the case of the OP, it will remain the USA number on WhatsApp.

Anyway, welcome to Londonistan.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016

5. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Aug 2, 2016

toastytoast1234 , Aug 2, 2016 :
    Not what I was expecting at all, I was about to start suggesting curry houses, pubs etc.

remedy likes this.
  6. vdubpower
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2016

vdubpower , Aug 3, 2016 :
    sure, curry houses, pubs...where should i go, ill be near putney, kingston area

7. vdubpower
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2016

8. kiran.sampathnr
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2016

kiran.sampathnr , Aug 3, 2016 :
    If you are using the same number on roaming then you don't need to change the number... But if you go there on a long term roaming is not an option... Pop in a local sim and change the number on whats app...

9. vdubpower
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2016

vdubpower , Aug 3, 2016 :
    i dunno why i am a little confused..

option one, just turn off cell data and use phone under wifi, and text via whats app --- not idea because i have 2 weeks there

2. att has a crap deal of 40 bucks for unlimted sending text, ( i asssume back to USA) and a few hundred mb of data, and like 30 minutes of cheaper talk

3. i make my phone a uk phone, and i want to call a family member who is unable to be unlocked, then basicaly im doing an international call and they will be roaming to pick it up

4. if i change to uk number , and i dont change whats app, and i phone dial with whats app will it use my usa number

i think im just rambling....sorry for that

10. kiran.sampathnr
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2016

kiran.sampathnr , Aug 3, 2016 :
    I guess the 4th option should work... You need change the number on whats app... you can pop in the other sim...

11. remedy
    KitKat Aug 3, 2016

remedy , Aug 3, 2016 :
    I have never needed to change my number on WhatApp when long term (3 months) local SIM roaming.

As to UK SIMs, consider giffgaff and this thread about getting a SIM.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

12. vdubpower
    Gingerbread Aug 4, 2016

vdubpower , Aug 4, 2016 :
    interesting gifffgaff...need to do my research

wonder if it can work in the wifes locked att iphone

13. remedy
    KitKat Aug 4, 2016

remedy , Aug 4, 2016 :
    It seems unlikely.