Good MVNOs in U.S?

1. patstar5
    Jelly Bean Jun 23, 2019

patstar5 , Jun 23, 2019 :
    Well most of my phones have been single sim. I figured since my oneplus 7 pro is dual sim I should take advantage of it. Currently with att on family's plan. Unlimited data (technically 22gb then supposedly they may throttle). I normally don't have issues with service at least in the city. Though in the rural area I'm from service can be pretty bad, have troubles with calls going through.

As far as I understand this phone supports tmobile and Verizon also? So I could got with a Verizon or tmobile mvno as second sim? Probably make more sense to go with Verizon since their coverage is better. Any reccomendations?

2. Jontalk5
    Froyo Jun 23, 2019

Jontalk5 , Jun 23, 2019 :
    For what its worth, the primary Android sites (Authority, Central, etc) often post on this topic, though in many cases, some of the MVNO's are sponsors which makes it difficult to know. That said, from what I've researched Mint Sim had some of the lowest rates, though I understand most if not all the MVNO'S cap the LTE speeds. I'm an ATT prepaid customer who doesn't use tons of data, so their basic plan fits. With auto-pay the monthly hit is $30 :)

3. drl431
    KitKat Jun 23, 2019

drl431 , Jun 23, 2019 :
    I like Simple Mobile, an MVNO. In south Florida they use the TMO network, so I get VoWiFi and VoLTE on an OP6. Unlimited talk and text with a 3 gig data limit that drops to 2G if you go over, but I rarely use over 1 gig. Its $25 plus tax with a $5 discount for auto pay ($22.12).

4. _Saguaro_
    Eclair Jun 23, 2019

_Saguaro_ , Jun 23, 2019 :
    I've used Ting for several years, my monthly bill varies with useage, but it averages around $35 per month for my wife and I. Ting gives you the choice of either Sprint or T-Mobile. T-Mobile signal strength is very weak at my house, but VoWiFi kicks in automatically, so it works fine.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019

5. The1Lion
    Lollipop Jun 23, 2019

The1Lion , Jun 23, 2019 :
    I use MINT (T-MOBILE towers) and it's okay in the city of Chicago and 'burbs but while traveling in remote areas and smaller towns it is unreliable. It is cheap (just under $20/month if buying a year) but not spectacular in any way. Doesn't always seem to pull full LTE speeds, even in the city.

6. Jontalk5
    Froyo Jun 24, 2019

Jontalk5 , Jun 24, 2019 :
    Yep, I've heard others report the same type of service. As you've demonstrated the LTE is capped much as it is with other MVNO's. I ran a speed test with AT&T in Sausalito yesterday (just north of SF) and got 99.6 mbps down, 47 mbps up which is pretty darned fast

7. The1Lion
    Lollipop Jun 24, 2019

The1Lion , Jun 24, 2019 :
    Sure is, MINT I've test at about avg 50 down and perhaps only 6.5 up and I'm just Southwest of Chicago (perhaps about 20 miles or less)

8. dubbaYous
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 23, 2019

dubbaYous , Jul 23, 2019 :
    I use net10, they use AT&T towers.

I had used mint when they first came out, their service was great but spotty. I live in rural areas the service was very hit and miss, mostly miss. .. T-mobile towers has amazing speed, so mint was great but most of the time I had to stay close to interstate for service but it was very shoddy inside buildings. Maybe once 5g comes around it will get better but for now have to go with reliable signal.

9. Jontalk5
    Froyo Jul 25, 2019

Jontalk5 , Jul 25, 2019 :
    Interesting..just looked at Net10's site and the basic plan would suit me except for one thing: "First GB of data at high speed, then 2G"...I live miles from San Francisco and AT&T coverage is pretty good. What sort of speeds are you seeing on your OP phone (model?). Thanks

10. dubbaYous
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2019

dubbaYous , Jul 25, 2019 :
    Jontalk5

Interesting..just looked at Net10's site and the basic plan would suit me except for one thing: "First GB of data at high speed, then 2G"...I live miles from San Francisco and AT&T coverage is pretty good. What sort of speeds are you seeing on your OP phone (model?). Thanks

Usually around 5 in my area but I live in a rural county (agriculture is the main thing in the western part of Ohio where I live) but have had much higher (around 25) just across the state line in Indiana.

Here is a screen shot of a few tests
    I have my daughter on a 4gb plan for about $31 on auto pay. 1564090594950.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019

11. Jontalk5
    Froyo Jul 25, 2019

Jontalk5 , Jul 25, 2019 :
    Thanks... that's EXTREMELY slow. I did a test a few weeks back and clocked nearly 100 down, 45 up which is faster than my Comcast Internet. Doing some research, it appears the Net10 customer service is non-existent and they actually use towers from ALL the major carriers rather than just AT&T. That said, your speeds are a fraction of what I normally get so the additional $10/mo doesn't play out. Thanks again.

dubbaYous likes this.
  12. dubbaYous
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2019

dubbaYous , Jul 25, 2019 :
    Yeah but I think there's more reasons than that here because we don't have metropolitan areas in most of our counties so it's not as important to have high speeds here, there are many people on Verizon that cannot get the service they should do I think it's regional (at leat in this case).

I agree it is very slow, but if you look at the screen shot even our wifi is pathetic, compare to what you probably can get.

Hope you get the service you are looking for.

Jontalk5 likes this.
  13. dubbaYous
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 26, 2019

dubbaYous , Jul 26, 2019 :
    Hey @Jontalk5 let us know if you find a better mvno. I wouldn't mind something a lot faster for the money myself. I have a feeling at&t throttles all mvnos to 5., but if there is a legit one out there I have 3 phones ready to jump.

14. Jontalk5
    Froyo Jul 26, 2019

Jontalk5 , Jul 26, 2019 :
    I suspect your location has much to do with the speeds you're getting as you said. In the suburban metro areas like I live, we have access to gigabit Internet and a proliferation of towers..we'll be getting 5G here soon, though I'm not buying a phone to access it. That said, if an MVNO pops up that's comparable to AT&T prepaid speeds and service will let you know though all of them seem to lack in customer service which sucks.

dubbaYous likes this.