Google App Crash Hotfix

1. paritosh9199
    Gingerbread Mar 4, 2020

paritosh9199 , Mar 4, 2020 :
    Hey guys,

Few days ago after the latest update of Google app it kept crashing on my Oneplus 7. That is actually a bug in the Google app. I had to look around the adb logs to find the actual cause of this issue! Turns out it was a SecurityException.

[​IMG]

So what actually is happening is when you open the Google app it looks permission from the user to start the App Activity. Here the bug comes into play. On OnePlus 7 there are two kinds of user normal user (ID: 0) you and a Parallel App user (ID: 999) (Created internally by OnePlus). When the app starts, instead of looking permission from (ID: 0) i.e. you; it seeks permission from Parallel App (ID: 999), which causes the crash.

You can wait for the official fix from the Google team but here is my hot-fix.

This hot-fix will remove all your parallel apps and its data so be careful!

You can view all users using this command:

adb shell pm list users

Now you will get this list of users (or profiles) running in your device:

[​IMG]
    Now remove the Parallel App user from your device:

adb shell pm remove-user 999

You should get a message which says '
    Success: removed user'

[​IMG]
    After this Google app should work as usual!

To use Parallel apps again just turn them on in the settings as you normally would!

EDIT: This hotfix works with OnePlus 3, 3t, 5, 5t, 6, 6t, 7, 7 pro,7 pro 5G on Android 9 (OOS 9.5.* or below)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020

2. knowididnot
    Donut Mar 5, 2020

3. Sidharth_9282
    Gingerbread Mar 5, 2020

Sidharth_9282 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    LOL First of all this forum is for op7 series not for op3t
    and for your information this is a adb command you need a computer for that this command is not for phone

4. knowididnot
    Donut Mar 5, 2020

VIPINPANCHAL likes this.
  5. Stalaxy
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020

Stalaxy , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I wonder if I followed the steps and then re-opened parallel apps, how can I make sure it's definitely not going to cause the same crash?
    And what if I create a parallel Google app (using root)? Will that solve the problem?

6. paritosh9199
    Gingerbread Mar 5, 2020

paritosh9199 , via OnePlus 7 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I don't know about OnePlus 3T but in my case the problem seems to be with internal user permission. You can try to send the logs using logcat after opening the app and I can have a look at it!

7. paritosh9199
    Gingerbread Mar 5, 2020

paritosh9199 , via OnePlus 7 , Mar 5, 2020 :

Stalaxy

I wonder if I followed the steps and then re-opened parallel apps, how can I make sure it's definitely not going to cause the same crash?
    And what if I create a parallel Google app (using root)? Will that solve the problem?​

If you open or create(in this case) Parallel apps then the crashes will start happening again! If you use parallel apps and can't sacrifice them then wait for the official hotfix from google. If you don't use it then it will not cause any problems to use this fix!

8. Daniel DS
    Donut Apr 11, 2020

SennahoJ and paritosh9199 like this.
  9. ASH2050
    Eclair Apr 12, 2020

paritosh9199 likes this.
  10. knowididnot
    Donut Apr 18, 2020

11. knowididnot
    Donut Apr 18, 2020

knowididnot , via OnePlus 3T , Apr 18, 2020 :
    Hi Ash. I'm glad this fixed it for you. I have a 3T as well. what exactly did you do to fix this problem?

12. paritosh9199
    Gingerbread Apr 18, 2020

paritosh9199 , Apr 18, 2020 :
    Run the commands in your laptop/PC/mac using adb tool

G_Pablo_Acosta_FcqF likes this.
  13. G_Pablo_Acosta_FcqF
    Cupcake Apr 18, 2020

14. knowididnot
    Donut Apr 18, 2020

knowididnot , via OnePlus 3T , Apr 18, 2020 :
    OK thank you. Wasn't sure if Ash used this ADB app on the 3T. I guess I'll have to look up what ADB is and how to use it.

just to confirm, since I guess not everyone is having this issue. I wonder if it's related to some other things that I have been experiencing, and a result of what I have done. I have always had Google locations turned off unless I temporarily needed it. Also as of recently, since I noticed GPS using a lot of battery, I would keep it turned off. Then when I noticed Maps and Google using it in the background, I restricted background used for those as well, so that when I did have GPS on and turned my phone to stand by, they would not work. Would this at all be causing crashes for my Google? I did undo all of these things at one point to see if it fixed it, but it didn't. I don't know if Google has a memory, and is mad at me about all the restrictions I was making.[e]1f609[/e]

15. Kapi91
    Cupcake Apr 19, 2020

Kapi91 , Apr 19, 2020 :
    Here's a tutorial. After you follow that, continue with the instructions from OP.

Omar5T and G_Pablo_Acosta_FcqF like this.
  16. G_Pablo_Acosta_FcqF
    Cupcake Apr 19, 2020

17. manudroid19
    Honeycomb Apr 20, 2020

Attached Files:

18. sweggitity
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 21, 2020

Omar5T likes this.
  19. Daniel Powell
    Cupcake Apr 22, 2020

Daniel Powell , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Holy cow! I have been trying to figure out how to fix this for weeks now on my OP5. I tried uninstalling the app and that would fix it for a few hours before it would break again. Thank you so much for this fix. I just tried it and it seems to have worked! Google/OP needs to push out an official fix, but for now, this is great!

paritosh9199 likes this.
  20. HalCapone
    Honeycomb Apr 25, 2020

HalCapone , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Good work
    This hot-fix will remove all your parallel apps and its data so be careful!
    Shame about that as I use A parallel Whatsapp