Theme Google Camera Ports for OnePlus 8 (Pro), 7/T (Pro), 6/T, 5/T and 3/T

1. Shubham_Ag.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 22, 2020

Shubham_Ag. , via OnePlus 8 Glacial Green , Jun 22, 2020 :
    It does work with 7T but not without root I guess!
    The developers do try their bust to provide a full GCam experience but sometimes it's just not possible for them as well, it's not something that they don't want to do - they do in fact! So no use of any petition what you are saying!
    And as for OP8 series they've already developed a port which can use auxillary lenses without having to root the device :)

tide1109 likes this.
  2. akaloith
    Donut Jun 22, 2020

akaloith , Jun 22, 2020 :
    so its perfectly doable with 7t as well. this phone is MONTHS old!!!!!!
    pushing users to root in order to use their lenses is something not even oneplus wants!
    and what about 4mp selfies? we want quality but also megapixels, 4mp is 2010!

3. Shubham_Ag.

Shubham_Ag. , via OnePlus 8 Glacial Green , Jun 22, 2020 :
    Brother, I think you are not aware, but OnePlus is one among the very few companies that ENCOURAGES users to root and try to be as much experimental with custom ROMS as they can!
    Coming to your question, yes the res is 4 MP from the front cam, 12 MP main cam, maybe in future we can get to see more high res pictures when Pixel start using these cameras, until then I don't think it's possible.
    But nevertheless, you get a much clear and more detailed picture in GCam!

4. tide1109

tide1109 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 22, 2020 :
    As far as I understood camera apps that want to use the ultrawide and tele lens have to be whitelisted with their package name.
    The OnePlus 8 Series seems to have one free package name that the GCam uses. So the package name changed to this one. The lenses are now accessible and everything is fine.

The 7/T series doesn't have this or another free whitelisted package name. So the GCam on any OP7 device can't use the auxiliary cameras.
    The magisk module, that needs root, adds a new package name to the whitelist. It's the GCam package. This step could be done by hand.
    MAYBE OnePlus adds one free package on the 7/T Series as indirect help. No guarantee that this will happen.

The front camera is accessible with 16mp by third party apps but they don't use the raw camera stream of the sensor. This raw data is needed for the HDR+ algorithms and other stuff. So the GCam is limited to 4mp with picel-binning.
    The GCam Port dev team can't fix it without root. OnePlus has to do something.

-----------

Besides the small and big limitations we should thank the GCam Port developer for it.
    Some other devices from other manufacturers need root or other modding for the basic functions of GCam or the GCam has some weird misbehavior like the OnePlus 5 and 5T.
    Other devices doesn't have a working GCam Port at all.

If you don't like the GCam with the limitations and the included algorithms, then don't use it. The OnePlus Camera works fine and stable and you get photos and videos without technical issues.

Everyone prefers a different camera app with different criteria. Some prefer the OnePlus Camera, some the GCam Port, some OpenCamera and some people a completely different camera software.

script and Shubham_Ag. like this.
  5. cas8180
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 23, 2020

cas8180 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 23, 2020 :
    I upgraded from my 7t to the 8 pro mainly for the camera. I use gcam on both phone pretty religiously. Most of the pics I take are of my newborn son. In just about every single lighting situation my op 7t takes significantly more detailed shot than my 8 pro does which is a major disappointment for me. I am wondering if there is something i am doing wrong or maybe i need a different version of gcam on my 8 Pro. As of right now i am thinking of sending my 8 pro back and just sticking with my 7t.

script likes this.
  6. Ray_ofLight
    KitKat Jun 23, 2020

Ray_ofLight , Jun 23, 2020 :
    Hi Tide,
    After opening the GCam app on my 5T, it displays the message "camera keeps stopping", I did clear the cache and restarted the app several times but to no avail. Could you suggest how to overcome this?

7. pitbull10
    Gingerbread Jun 23, 2020

pitbull10 , Jun 23, 2020 :
    I'm enjoying GCam and feel it is better than the stock. Using the Parrot APK and the suggested setting with the accompanying XDA most have cololer colors and more realistic photos

Shubham_Ag. likes this.
  8. RoshanThayyil , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jun 23, 2020 :
    1592898892338.jpg

1592898892460.jpg

1592898892542.jpg
    Comparison between stock & gcam on the op8pro and my older Pixel 2 xl. Colors are definitely way better on the 3 year old Pixel compared to the newer 8pro. The 8pro just looks washed out because of the bright background messing with the contrast. Surprisingly the gcam does worse (imo) than the stock camera. Zooming in, you can see a lot more noise in the photos taken by the Pixel but that's to be expected when comparing a 12mp vs 48mp

9. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 23, 2020

tide1109 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 23, 2020 :
    Which GCam version do you use?
    Do you use the fix?
    Are you on Android 10?

You could clear the app data. Some wrong settings may cause it. A re-install may help too.

10. Ray_ofLight
    KitKat Jun 23, 2020

Ray_ofLight , Jun 23, 2020 :
    Gcam version 5.1.018.177624777.7.beta9
    Yes, I'm on Android 10.
    I tried to use the fix but didn't know which link to download.

11. akaloith
    Donut Jun 23, 2020

akaloith , Jun 23, 2020 :
    of course i am grateful to gcam developers and want them to be able to unleash every possibility of the oneplus 7t cams
    and want oneplus developers to let them do so and not put them obstacles.
    if one company should have a fully working gcam then oneplus should be the one.
    i see xiaomi lg etc with dozens of phones that can do more (with lenses etc)
    the gcam developers do their best WHEN there are not obstacles from oneplus developers

12. Cryio
    Cupcake Jun 24, 2020

Cryio , Jun 24, 2020 :
    Gcam allows the front camera to take ridiculously sharp pictures. Sharper than I look in real life, lol.

As for the back camera, everything aside from Nightsight looks better with the default 8Pro processing. All other modes simply look washed out on Gcam.

RoshanThayyil likes this.
  13. YannicR.
    Eclair Jun 25, 2020

YannicR. , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 25, 2020 :
    Yeah i can confirm that the selfie Picture quality is really improved by gcam. Especially the Portrait mode is the best featire of the mod. I really love taking portraid shots with my friends. They always envy my for this feature. But for the main cameras I mostly use the nirmal oneolus 8 pro cam becaus in my opinion its really good software and hardware made by OnePlus.

RoshanThayyil and Shubham_Ag. like this.
  14. Dr.No.pt
    Cupcake Jun 25, 2020

Dr.No.pt , Jun 25, 2020 :
    Notice the TV shadow on the wall of the Pixel 2 XL, lots of pixels. Bad quality

15. malidan
    Nougat Jun 25, 2020

malidan , Jun 25, 2020 :
    Its the same for all three pictures isn't it?
    Lots of noise and over sharpening on the Pixel 2's picture, the colour temp is on the warm side too.

16. Shubham_Ag.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2020

Shubham_Ag. , via OnePlus 8 , Jun 26, 2020 :
    I agree! Stock colors do not match the reality.

17. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 28, 2020

tide1109 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 28, 2020 :
    GCam is the short form for Google Camera. The Google Camera is the preinstalled camera app for Google Pixel or even Nexus devices.

The original Google Camera version only works on devices made by or with Google. The Google Camera versions for OnePlus or other manufacturers are ported versions by individual developers.

script likes this.