Google Maps Location history [Tracking]

1. amitvig22
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 19, 2014

amitvig22 , Aug 19, 2014 :
    Google is probably logging your location, step by step, via Google Maps.

Go here : https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

Use the same login that you have on your cell phone and check history upto 30 days.

Mine pulled up with mesh of locations i've been to. This freaked me out for a bit.

Here's an article that shows how you can turn it off if you feel your privacy is at risk.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/17/yes-google-maps-is-tracking-you-heres-how-to-stop-it/

Please tell me i am not the only one who can pull this tracking history.

2. kp1234
    Community Veteran Aug 19, 2014

kp1234 , Aug 19, 2014 :
    I actually wanna keep it on! Looks pretty cool :p

amitvig22 likes this.
  3. amitvig22
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 19, 2014

amitvig22 , Aug 19, 2014 :
    Hahahaha it looks cool but it freaked me out. I don't feel comfortable that this happens.

kp1234 likes this.
  4. kp1234
    Community Veteran Aug 19, 2014

kp1234 , Aug 19, 2014 :
    Fair enough. I'm the kind of guy that doesn't mind being tracked 24/7 lol.

amitvig22 likes this.
  5. Nikolask
    Cupcake Mar 23, 2017

Nikolask , Mar 23, 2017 :
    The bad thing about this, is that google fit / google now rely on location history.. For those regions that are not covered its a problem :)

Anyone know how to enable location history in Cyprus?

6. UrsBolt
    Cupcake Dec 13, 2019

UrsBolt , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Since I left Shanghai last week location tracking doesn't work anymore on my OP7Pro.
    All settings seem to be ok, Maps is updated after Cache deleted.
    Does anyone else have similar issues?

7. 2pints
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 19, 2019

2pints , Dec 19, 2019 :
    Location history is one of the most useful features of smartphones.
    Ive used to plan events/hikes and journeys.
    i can see how long a journey actually took as opposed to what some GPS function says it will take and then ifwhen going on the same journey a year or so later i can see when i need to set off.
    I've used it for planning hikes, i can see how lo0ng it took to go from A-B and the route that was taken, and in turn when taking a group out i can then vary the route, do it again, or chose something different knowing how long it took to go over a particular piece of terrain also helps.
    It can also be used to prove you were at location X if someone said you were at location Y, use it to show what time you finished, or started work at a particular location and so on

8. bfra4375
    Donut Jan 31, 2020

bfra4375 , Jan 31, 2020 :
    My maps location history is partly missing. Sometimes it just for a day or so sometimes it's seems permanent. It will not show me stopping at my sister's overnight and it's missing a lot of other trips. And I have to turn off WiFi for my maps to work.