Google pay is unsafe via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. AR1000
    Froyo Nov 26, 2020

AR1000 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 26, 2020 :
    Hi. I've noticed that even with my phone locked you can simply hold down the power button and use Google pay. This is very un secure. Are you sure it's been designed this way or is this a glitch?

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Nov 26, 2020

dsmonteiro , Nov 26, 2020 :
    Hi there,

Yes, it's designed like that. You can read more about it here:
    https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7644132?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

Much like your contactless card, you can make payments without authentication until a certain amount. After that, you need to unlock and authenticate (much like your contactless card). This is by design, from Google.

Let me know if this helps.

G_plusone and Aditya Javadekar like this.
  3. MarinosXx
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  4. AR1000
    Froyo Nov 27, 2020

AR1000 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 27, 2020 :
    Shame it's designed like that. Unlike a credit or debit card this has the option to be super safe and not allow any transaction without authorisation. Authorisation via face unlock or finger print is so quick it's not a barrier to using google pay. Really Tlthey should give people the option but I'd prefer it to be safe. Just personal preference.

5. tym0niasty
    Eclair Nov 27, 2020

Best Answer
    tym0niasty , via OnePlus 8T , Nov 27, 2020 :
    This is how gPay is designed.
    Please note that you need to activate the screen (power button) and tap the phone on a terminal, this is how the authentication work in that case. It is safer than a card with the wireless payment (cards can be scanned while in your pocket, phon needs activation of the screen...

Optional athentication with a fingerprint or unlocking code would be handy for these worried about the security but it is something that needs to be raised to Google... Good luck with getting their attention ;)

6. AR1000
    Froyo Nov 28, 2020

7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Nov 28, 2020

dsmonteiro , Nov 28, 2020 :
    This is something that needs to be changed by Google, not OnePlus, since it's Google that develops Google Pay. You can provide your feedback through the Play Store or by contacting Google directly.