Google Pixel 4a or Oneplus Nord?

1. JfromtheBay
    Donut Aug 2, 2020

JfromtheBay , Aug 2, 2020 :
    So I know Google is dropping 4a before Nord by a day and it'll be cheaper than the Nord by $100. Tell me why Nord is better and dont give me general reasons. What specifically do you like? Why would it be useful to me?
    ie. Nords extended Battery life makes it super easy to go all day and then with the quick charging it'll make everything smooth.

First let me say, I am a Oneplus fanboy. I believe the Nord is better overall but the price is cheaper on google pixel 4a and the camera is supposed to be a lot better than the Nord. It also has quick charging like Nord. Not as fast but still quick charge.

No matter what, Im excited that there is competition in this price point. Thanks for all the input, im put everything into consideration.

Vansh99 likes this.
  2. Lnicoletti
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2020

3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Aug 2, 2020

Dresa91 , Aug 2, 2020 :
    answered by yourself...It is your opinion and it must suit you,it must please you and it must meet your needs.

the_o2 likes this.
  4. alextoledo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 2, 2020

alextoledo , Aug 2, 2020 :
    As the owner of a NORD and a loved one of the Pixels, I can tell you that OnePlus has released a fairly balanced phone.

- The processor is good, for the day to day it meets your expectations. (They say it has its limitations but I was never one of those who played excessively games or have thousands of applications open).
    - OxygenOS is a welcome addition
    - Battery with very good results, it is true that the competition usually adds bigger ones but in this case you get well every day and if it is a moderate use you can do a day and a half.
    - The 30W charge is noticeable, in less than 1h your mobile is fully charged.
    - The cameras ... meh. I am one of those who think that less is more, that is, I would have preferred fewer sensors and have them of quality. They have added too many sensors because it is fashionable, but they are of very low quality, the macro mode is disastrous, the wide angle both front and rear ... for some photos it turns out but it does not have any details, well in general even the main one 48 (12MP by default, tends to have a non-sharp image, it seems that it always has the beauty mode activated, even if you have it deactivated it softens everything a lot).
    - You have 5G that for the future is positive, although for now little use.

In general, it is a good mobile being its weakest point the cameras that brings a clone configuration to all the devices of the competition in this price range and could have bet on being different and giving less but of higher quality, for example, main and wide angle sensor, 48MP / 16MP or main and telephoto sensor.

Google will present its device tomorrow, presumably under a Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G, with 6GB of RAM and storage. 64GB? with a 5.81 OLED Full HD + HDR screen. As for 3.140 mAh battery with fast charge at 18W.

If we compare those specifications with NORD clearly OnePlus wins. Although it will have to be seen how this Pixel behaves, if the 730G performs well every day. It has positive points such as being a compact mobile, it is appreciated that it is of a contained size (although I understand those who prefer large screens to consume multimedia), the camera ... where with the 12.2MP it is capable of taking the shame out of any device with larger sensors thanks to its processing.

JfromtheBay likes this.
  5. mike_r1971
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2020

mike_r1971 , Aug 2, 2020 :
    I've cancelled my Nord preorder, due to far too many of the community posting here and on Reddit, the quality issues and problems they are facing.

I was going to buy a 4a in the first place but my focus went to the Nord once Google delayed the announcement/release.

Now the 4a is just around the corner and with the uncertainty of the Nords overall quality, it's the 4a for me.

stadi likes this.
  6. RiezNL
    Donut Aug 2, 2020

RiezNL , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Pixel 's aren't perfect either. Their battery life sucks donkey balls and their bezels are big. Also you get a rear fingerprint scanner which isn't as convenient as in display or side mounted.

jotei66 likes this.
  7. Mathis
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2020

Mathis , Aug 2, 2020 :
    I think it depends about your priorities.

I'm using the Nord since 5 days and it's a great phone. No doubt about this, and no quality issue for me.

But I'm considering returning it if the 4a is better in photo.

It's my priority and in my opinion I get fooled by the op marketing with the "flagship camera in mid range phone", it's good yes, but not awesome.

I'm waiting for tomorrow

I'm a oneplus fan too (one, 3t and Nord), and I don't know why but eventually I still use my 3t instead of the Nord.

stadi likes this.
  8. thedarkpresence_
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2020

thedarkpresence_ , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Same here, but my main reason for cancelling was the Sh*tty OnePlus customer support. I don't want to have to waste my time or my mind over the issues, while OP literally ignores this forum and any or all complains.
    If 4a is priced appropriately, choose it over nord. Also, google support is amazing, especially if you're a Google one user. And you'll get priority updates for several years.

zerosixteen, stadi and mike_r1971 like this.
  9. jotei66
    Cupcake Aug 5, 2020

jotei66 , Aug 5, 2020 :
    I've bought the Nord for my son as he (like me) really love OnePlus handsets. It's due to delivery today at some point.
    Personally I've always found OnePlus phones solid built & reliable with great features. I also love Oxygen OS But yeah I get that the cameras on them haven't always been the best out there, but they've been fine for us The pixel is at a great price point without a doubt but for me having owned a pixel couple years ago & had so many issues & Google support were absolutely terrible. I decided never again would I touch a pixel (or any Google service for that matter) But that's a purchase choice I have made from previous bad experience. To be fair to Google tho I've never had to ever deal with OnePlus support, so maybe they are as bad as Google. For my son its the fast charging, 90hz screen & overall styling of the Nord that sold it to him. But seriously you buy what best fits your needs, "brand loyalty" comes at the bottom of my priorities - features & price come first

10. fromsophie
    Honeycomb Aug 5, 2020

fromsophie , Aug 5, 2020 :
    So like other I was looking at the 4a before Nord came on the scene because as we know Google cameras are second to none thanks to their amazing software. Having used previous OP devices and other people I know with them I was quite happy when Nord was announced as it was likely going to be in my budget which recent OP devices haven't been. Plus with the delays of the Pixel 4a made it seem like they were never actually going to launch the phone.

The OnePlus Nord is a well rounded phone, and that is probably a better way OP should have marketed it. Defiantly not that they have a flagship camera. Personally, I think the camera is very good expect all the extra things they've added on top (which the Pixel doesn't include) which is the Macro lens and wide angle. Macro lens is just useless, as other have said its better to forget it's even there. The wide angle on the rear camera is grainy indoors (using nightscape helps this I've found, so seems like a low light issue) and doesn't seem to focus very well on things either side of the picture but more so the left side I've found. I'd defo would have preferred OP to have not included the Marco and made the wide-angle 12MP. Nightscape using the wide angle lens doesn't work if there isn't enough light source. Everything else like the main camera, 2x zoom, portrait mode and video I think are really good. The screen is great, seems to be very smooth and i do like Oxygen OS. Battery seems good at the moment too but time will tell on that. I am getting 6 hours on screen time with about 15% battery left.

Going back to the camera, I have downloaded gCam to how that performs compared to OP stock camera. Interesting results with some thing working better on gCam and somethings working better on the OP camera.

Pixal 4a although is a better size for me, a full plastic body is a step backwards from the glass back in terms of premium feel.

Why do I like the Nord then? Premium feel for a really good price. The camera isn't actually as bad once you start learning which lens is best to use for which shot you are taking. Great battery and fast charging.

JfromtheBay likes this.
  11. K1596021308859
    Donut Aug 5, 2020

K1596021308859 , Aug 5, 2020 :
    Go for Pixel. I am facing green tint issue with OnePlus Nord. When I called the customer care, they said and i quote 'its a property of AMOLED screen and cant be fixed'. You can do a workaround by reducing DC (which is not available in Nord). But this affects the screen quality. We can accept these kind of problems in cheap phones with amoleds. But this is a premium mid range phone and we paid 30k for this. I cant tolerate this kind of problems. This is my first oneplus and i am really upset about it. I want to return it and get my money back. But they are not even ready to give a replacement. If things wont work out well, I am taking this to consumer court.

12. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 5, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 5, 2020 :
    Specs are way higher on the Nord. Pixel 4a, way too expensive what it is

Nord V Pixel 4a

https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=10289&idPhone2=10123#diff-

13. yddtime
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2020

yddtime , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Go for the Pixel because it doesn't have unremovable Facebook spy ware built-in like the Nord.

14. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2020

15. yddtime
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2020

yddtime , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Yes, I'm aware of that. The point is why should we have to do this? It comes back with every OTA update as well. We should have the choice to opt in if we want it not jump through hoops to opt out.

16. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 8, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Yes I get that, preferably they should never be included, but obviously OP have done a deal with Facebook and others to include this Bloat. It's a marketing, and probably money making exercise as well.

OP was always know for Not doing this, but their strategy has obviously changed, and it suits some potential customers in larger markets.

Their market has expanded to the point that they are now a big player in certain markets in Asia. And while the hardcore OP users won't like it, it plays into the other 90% of people who just use a phone and don't care what's included.

yddtime likes this.
  17. yddtime
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2020

yddtime , Aug 8, 2020 :
    I guess I'm in the 10% that does care then. I've never had a Facebook account and I never will.

JfromtheBay likes this.
  18. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 9, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Same here, but it's the only way around it currently

19. fromsophie
    Honeycomb Sep 3, 2020

Caomhin likes this.
  20. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Sep 3, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Sep 3, 2020 :
    Very nice and concise objective review.

Was gonna get the missus a Nord, but she said she doesn't want such a large phone, have a OP6T myself, which is about the same size physically, and she finds it uncomfortable to use.

Was looking at the pixel 4a standard, but that has a 730G, and may still get that as it is sized about the same physically as her old Galaxy S7. Albeit with much smaller bezels.

But also waiting on the Pixel 4a 5G, not released yet, but a lot of rumours, as it's allegedly smaller than the Nord, and allegedly has the 765G as well with 8GB Ram, have to see what the price is like, as like you budget is about €400 I know yours was UK pounds, but it's about equivalent in the economy's of scale for where I am.

Anyway, nice review 😎[e]1f44d[/e]

fromsophie likes this.