Google updated pixel 2 to give high quality images to third party apps

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 6, 2018

dsmonteiro , Feb 6, 2018 :
    Your thread's title:

Google updated pixel 2 to give high quality images to third party apps

That update is enabling the use of Pixel Visual Core by third party apps. And as @Gav_W86 said, the app developer STILL HAS TO IMPLEMENT IT.

Aside from that, the Pixel and OnePlus devices work in similar ways. Through an API.

2. XLRsatan
    Eclair Feb 6, 2018

3. Maazperwez
    Honeycomb Feb 6, 2018

Maazperwez , Feb 6, 2018 :
    easiest answer.. thanks man i appreciate wow

4. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Feb 6, 2018

Gav_W86 , Feb 6, 2018 :
    The way most other apps work with different devices (ie different screen shapes and sizes, graphics capabilities etc), the same app with coding to detect which device they are on. As a very simplified example, the code will say detect make/model of camera, if make/model = x then use API x, if make/model = y then use API y, etc etc.

Abhi Dahiya and daMorphine like this.
  5. Gav_W86

Gav_W86 , Feb 6, 2018 :
    they do. there is a camera API for 3rd party apps that want to use it. As an example download Proshot as a 3rd party camera app coded by an independent dev from the Play store. Take a photo with it, it will be great quality. It is using the same camera API that is open to the other apps, just doesn't have the crappy app coding altering the images afterwards.

6. prajnay0
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 6, 2018

prajnay0 , Feb 6, 2018 :
    the Dev of snapchat doesn't use camera2api for some reason to get the full potential of the camera and I think instagram developer also so go tell the app developers rather then complaining about it in the forum .

7. daMorphine
    Honeycomb Feb 6, 2018

daMorphine , Feb 6, 2018 :
    thanks a lot. this made my facts more clear. but what I'm worried about is everything was working good on Nougat. i didn't seem to face such problems with third party apps like Snapchat or Instagram but why now? It seems to me that the Oreo's camera APIs are half baked bc everything was fine on Nougat.

8. C1512262150431
    Eclair Feb 6, 2018

C1512262150431 , Feb 6, 2018 :
    Go and buy a Pixel then. If every phone had to be the same it would've been boring. OnePlus phones have things other phones doesn't have and the same again with other phones. Just be happy with what you've got. This is an awesome phone.

9. Gav_W86

Gav_W86 , Feb 6, 2018 :
    No problem.
    Oreo is a major OS update, especially under-the-hood. App devs were told by Google in the summer they may well have to update their apps for compatibility with the changes, many have, some haven't, some have but not very well.

daMorphine likes this.
  10. Manas_Mishra_1989
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 6, 2018

Manas_Mishra_1989 , Feb 6, 2018 :
    You must understand everything isnt and cannot be apples to apples.
    You should take pride to be an OP user than just be a cheaper wanna be pixel or apple.

11. X waiting
    Gingerbread Feb 6, 2018

X waiting , Feb 6, 2018 :
    Is One plus earning that much? Really? They are doing better than I thought

12. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Feb 6, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Feb 6, 2018 :
    Agreed OP camera is garbage, but the compression will still be the same % for Pixel devices and OnePlus devices, although it may slightly improve the quality, pictures on all social media is still going to be compressed to a particular resolution to save storage!

Maazperwez likes this.
  13. Maazperwez
    Honeycomb Feb 7, 2018

Maazperwez , Feb 7, 2018 :
    yes resolution is a bit compressed but quality is way toooo much compressed

14. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Feb 7, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Feb 7, 2018 :
    That's really app dependent I think, my friend posts pics with his opt and they seem really good, so I don't know what's wrong here.

15. Xeny
    Honeycomb Feb 7, 2018

Xeny , Feb 7, 2018 :
    Two things :

-Pixel 2 uses hardware to give hdr+ to apps.
    -For every other Android phone, they are using CameraAPI.

So you can't ask for what Google did with pixel 2.
    And yes OP has troubles with CameraAPI and the camera HAL and i honestly don't know if they will fix it one day.
    I mean, it works but like you said it could be better.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  16. Maazperwez
    Honeycomb Feb 7, 2018

Maazperwez , Feb 7, 2018 :
    this is not compression this is just a screen grab and since our screen is 1080 that's y it shows this which in actual means 2.1 mega pixel and in reality we have 20 mp of camera and a 16 mp of camera

17. jonathanlyng
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 8, 2018

jonathanlyng , Feb 8, 2018 :
    you are paying for a cheap yet up to date phone. not for a good camera....

18. prajnay0
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 8, 2018

prajnay0 , Feb 8, 2018 :
    tell the app developer to fix it because it's camera api is available to everyone