GPS not working. via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. JabiNaise
    Cupcake Apr 27, 2021

Guilherme_Ribeiro94 likes this.
  2. wmm
    KitKat Apr 27, 2021

wmm , Apr 27, 2021 :
    I have only tried outdoor walking, but that works for me (sort of). It takes a very long time, sometimes five minutes or more, for the GPS to lock onto the satellites; the GPS icon on the watch screen will continue to be animated (the concentric half-circles flashing on and off) until a lock is established. Once that happened, however, the tracking worked well, and there was a very accurate map in OnePlus Health showing my walk.

I said "sort of" because the distance tracking for that walk was very inaccurate. I measured the distance I traveled, and as shown in the map in OnePlus Health, on Google Maps as 0.56 miles. The distance reported by OnePlus Health was only 0.37 miles; it "lost" fully 1/3 of the distance I traveled. Hopefully this is a bug that OnePlus will be able to address soon. I have reported it on the watch support page.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021

U1616423886239 likes this.
  3. chilko
    Cupcake May 5, 2021

chilko , May 5, 2021 :
    I also have problems with GPS performance. As @wmm said GPS lock takes way too much time and this means that part of my training is missing from the map. When I start workout the watch shows message to update GPS info from the phone as location data had expired but I don't know how to do it - the two are connected and I thought this is enough. Device is with B.40 firmware. Please fix this major bug asap.

Never had such problem with my Huawei watch which quick pulls location data from the phone at the start of workout.

4. wmm
    KitKat May 5, 2021

wmm , May 5, 2021 :
    I did another experiment last night, using the B.49 version. I opened the "walk outside" program and waited for the GPS to get a location lock, then did a short walk around the perimeter of a small parking lot. I counted the steps for one circuit as 200 steps, then repeated the circuit four more times for a total of five. The results were an accurate track on the map, modulo normal consumer-grade GPS variability, and the steps counted were spot-on at 1009. However, the distance was still under-reported by 1/3, the same as my previous walk.

The only difference I noted between B.40 and B.49 is that the message about the stale ephemeris data appeared immediately instead of after a minute or two. It still took about five minutes to acquire the location lock, and the distance-counting function is still inaccurate by exactly the same factor.

5. wmm
    KitKat May 5, 2021

wmm , May 5, 2021 :
    I don't believe there's any way to force that refresh of the data to occur. The message telling you to do so is probably just an assumption on the part of whoever wrote the GPS support that if your data is stale it must be because the watch isn't connected to the phone, while in this case, because of the bug, it's because they watch and phone aren't communicating, even though they are connected.

I've been encouraged by the progress OnePlus has made in a pretty short period of time with the B.40 and B.49 updates, so I'm hopeful this will be addressed soon. It definitely needs to be fixed; waiting five minutes before starting out on one's walk or run or whatever is not practical.

6. F_Richard_Chinn_vvcy
    Cupcake May 22, 2021

F_Richard_Chinn_vvcy , May 22, 2021 :
    Same thing happening with me. Phone app shows 3.62 km, watch shows 2.99 km. My wife’s apple watch shows 3.64 km.
    This really is totally unacceptable.
    Fix it please ASAP.

dcascante and m49100 like this.
  7. wmm
    KitKat May 22, 2021

wmm , May 22, 2021 :
    Yes, it's really very strange: even though I have a good GPS lock and the path is drawn accurately on the map, the distance reported is much less than the track on the map. The only thing I can think of is that they must not be using the GPS points to measure the distance but are instead doing something like multiplying the number of steps by some assumed (too-short) stride length.

8. Chriiis
    Gingerbread May 23, 2021

9. wmm
    KitKat May 23, 2021

wmm , May 23, 2021 :
    Yes, 3% wouldn't bother me, either, but in my case it's more like 33%. That said, I'm really a lot more concerned about the very slow GPS start-up than I am about distance logging. If it's consistently 1/3 short, I can just compensate mentally for that when I look at the log. I can't really afford to wait 5-6 minutes to start my activity while the GPS tries to get a location lock.

10. Jimboy98
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2021

Jimboy98 , Jun 7, 2021 :
    Hey Guys, got the OnePlus watch as a birthday present and used it for my usual 5km route and the watch recorded 4.12km!

So I guess problem still remains although I have installed the latest update a few days ago. Anyone know when this will be fixed?

11. wmm
    KitKat Jun 7, 2021

wmm , Jun 7, 2021 :
    Judging from OnePlus' normal practice, I'd be surprised if they've given any indication of that. They tend to be very cagy about bug fixes and just release them when they're ready. I'm hoping it will be soon - especially for the GPS start-up time - but there's no telling when or if they will release a fix.

12. Barmenchik
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2021

13. wmm
    KitKat Jun 7, 2021

wmm , Jun 7, 2021 :
    Yes. There's a bug that causes the watch not to update the ephemeris information from the phone. There's nothing you can do about it. As noted in the message, though, the only effect of that is to make your initial location fix slower. if you have the time to wait for it to acquire a fix (usually takes about 5-6 minutes for me, although others have reported faster times occasionally), it seems to work okay, at least in the sense of providing an accurate plot of your track on the map. (Except for bicycling, which is completely broken.) However, the distance computation for a walk or run seems to be always less than the distance you actually covered. Hopefully both these bugs - slow GPS startup and incorrect distance tracking - will be fixed by an upcoming update, although when or if that might occur is anybody's guess.

The weather seems to come and go spontaneously. Sometimes it will only show you the nearest city, with no information on temperature, wind, forecast, etc.; other times it will show you full information. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the watch or with the information feed it uses for meteorological data.

Barmenchik likes this.
  14. Barmenchik
    Gingerbread Jun 8, 2021

Barmenchik , Jun 8, 2021 :
    The question is: the GPS icon in the training mode, while the signal is being searched for, is blinking, and when the signal is found, it stops blinking but remains the same color or should it turn green, for example?

15. wmm
    KitKat Jun 8, 2021

wmm , Jun 8, 2021 :
    What it does currently is just to stop blinking the two half circles when it gets a location fix. A color change would be nice, as the blinking of the rings doesn't cycle very fast, so you can't tell at a glance whether it's gotten a lock yet or not.

16. L1630592920740
    Cupcake Oct 9, 2021

L1630592920740 , Oct 9, 2021 :
    This is ridiculous.

Still this is unfixed.

Has anybody seen OnePlus even acknowledge this bug?

17. wmm
    KitKat Oct 9, 2021

wmm , Oct 9, 2021 :
    Sort of. I've gotten responses from some support people indicating that it has been referred to their engineering group, but I don't have a lot of confidence that the support people really understood what I was saying or that they communicated the actual problem to the engineers.

L1630592920740 likes this.
  18. Teddynski
    Cupcake Oct 9, 2021

Teddynski , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Oct 9, 2021 :
    Habe die one plus Watch und den Vorgänger Fitbit Ionic . Wenn ich beide starte sind die ermittelten Strecken immer unterschiedlich und oft auch erheblich.
    Die Strecke in der Karte wird bei der one plus Watch nie korrekt angezeigt.
    Gibt es da Abhilfe?
    Es ist auch egal ob ich gehe, jogge oder Fahrrad fahre.
    Suche auch nach deutscher Bedienungsanleitung.

19. Ultradyong
    Gingerbread Feb 24, 2022

20. David_Rickard
    Cupcake Feb 26, 2022

David_Rickard , via OnePlus 6T , Feb 26, 2022 :
    Just chipping in to say I also have the problem, lock can take so long that the watch gives up and goes back to the home screen so you have to start all over again. Really poor.