GPS signal on background app via OnePlus 6

1. DT84
    Eclair Jan 24, 2020

DT84 , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Hello,

I have a OnePlus 6 8/256 running OxygenOS 10.3.0 and recently I've been gifted a Galaxy Watch 46mm.
    I so wanted to use Navigation apps on the smartwatch, and the Galaxy Watch, despite having an internal GPS module, prefers using the phone's GPS which is more accurate, and to do so it interacts with 2 apps called Galaxy Wearable and Galaxy Watch Plugin.

Both apps have permissions to always access position, but it seems OxygenOS doesn't care about that setting, and as soon as I turn the screen off or switch to another app, without killing the Samsung one, the watch stops getting position updates.

Removing battery savings from apps and advanced battery optimizations in OxygenOS settings doesn't help either, I've even tried downloading an app called GPS Locker, but even that one was useless.

Anyway, if I set an app to be able to always access position, it must be so, so I think this is a bug in the OS.
    Looking for this on online boards make me realize this is a common problem with OnePlus phones.

I've been very happy with the phone in these 2 years together, fixing this would make the experience even better.

Thank you.

2. zcsongor
    Cupcake Feb 14, 2020

3. Caomhin
    KitKat Feb 14, 2020

4. DT84
    Eclair Feb 17, 2020

DT84 , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Thank you for the kind answer, I've already tried GPS Locker that does the same thing (keeping the GPS on the background) but without help, I guess I'll try this app too.

5. Caomhin
    KitKat Feb 17, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Feb 17, 2020 :
    You could also try by disabling Sleep Standby Optimisation, the option is in Settings, Battery, Battery Optimization. Click the 3 dots in the top right, select Advanced Optimization, you can the disable Sleep Standby Optimisation.

This may have the effect of increased battery use.

mrssml301 and ironass like this.
  6. DT84
    Eclair Feb 19, 2020

DT84 , via OnePlus 6 , Feb 19, 2020 :
    Ok I've tried with the app you suggested but it didn't work, the app itself keeps the GPS signal but Galaxy Wearable stops sending position data as soon as I turn off the screen or switch to a different app. The same thing happened when I tried the app called GPS Locker.

I've already tried disabling all the battery optimisations, even the advanced one you mentioned, without luck. To be 100% sure, I've just tried it again and I've not noticed any change.

I just can't find a workaround for this... sigh.

7. eviollet
    Cupcake Feb 26, 2020

eviollet , Feb 26, 2020 :
    Hi. Have you found a workaround yet?

My wife is having the same issue since her last Oxygen OS beginning of January.
    The current workaround I have found is to put the watch in flight mode when you want the watch to log your GPS position.
    If you figure out a way to get the GPS working in the background, I'm all ears.

In advance, thanks.