Theme Greatest show on the Earth - Super Moon Pics

1. beastkay
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 31, 2018

beastkay , Jan 31, 2018 :
    Tonight’s Greatest show on the Earth ( This message is specifically for Indian users ):

Today evening we look towards the eastern up in the sky, we will witness greatest show on earth, total Lunar Eclipse. We all get to see shadow of our planet Earth on our closet celestial object Moon. I read this somewhere as ‘dance of shadow’.

This will be a total lunar eclipse, it can be seen from India.

What is important is that we all go outside and see this majestic spectacle that nature will orchestrate for a few hours.

For centuries every culture has created story around eclipse. As you know, Vishnu/Bhagavatam puranas it is Rahu, kethu in snake form swallow Moon/Sun. Chinese believe that eclipse is swallowed by dragon, they use high pitch noise and crackers to relieve Moon/Sun from dragon. Similarly a frog in Vietnam, a bird in Hungary, a bear in Siberia, a snake for Mayans.

We all learn in school that a solar eclipse is caused when the Moon's shadow falls on the Earth, and a lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth's shadow falls on the Moon.

But we see earth’s shadow on moon every day except on full moon day. Why we don’t see eclipse on those days?. Understand Earth Moon and Sun don’t move in same plane, they are tilted by 5degrees, imagine 3D dimensional movement of three celestial objects they are not in same plane all the time, when all three come in same plane, we see eclipse.

Today, the Sun, Earth and the Moon will once again fall in a straight line, and we will get to see a Total Lunar Eclipse. The shadow of the Earth and the Moon have an umbra, which is the really dark part, and the penumbra, where it is not fully dark. You can understand this by holding an object some distance from a piece of paper and looking at the shadow. In this lunar eclipse, the Full Moon will first enter the penumbral shadow and will appear a bit dimmer. This stage is easy to miss. Then the moon will enter the umbral shadow, the partial eclipse, when we can clearly see the shape of the Earth's shadow slowly covering the Moon. When the Moon is covered to a larger extent, we will notice that the color of the Moon turns red. When the Moon is completely eclipsed, it will be orangish/red in color, and hence the name blood moon. Then the whole process happens reverse till the Moon completely leaves the Earth's shadow. On 31 Jan, the partial eclipse starts at 5.18 pm, total eclipse lasts from 6.22 to 7.38 pm, and the partial eclipse ends at 8.41 pm. The penumbral eclipse then ends at 9.39 pm.

Unfortunately, we cannot see the entire eclipse from India – the Moon will rise only when the eclipse has already begun. However, since the Moon rises later as we move westwards, the more east you are, more of the eclipse can be seen from your location. The Moon will rise at 4.47 pm in Itanagar, 5.16 pm in Kolkata, 5.25 pm in Patna, 5.53 pm in Delhi, 6.04 in Chennai and 6.27 in Mumbai. We can then figure out which stages of the eclipse we will be able to see from our location.
    lunar.jpg

This eclipse is being called the 'Super Blue Blood Moon'. The Moon goes around the Earth in an elliptical orbit. This means that its distance from us varies periodically as it goes around us, but not by much. When it is closest to us, it will look 14% bigger than regular moon, when it is farthest from us.

Moon will be closest to use every 27.3 days. When this date coincides full Moon, we call it a Super Moon. This time, eclipse is happening when moon is closest and hence it is 'Super Moon Eclipse'.

A Blue Moon is not really blue color indication. When we get two Full Moons in a single month, we call it a blue moon, and we have two such this month. Lastly, since the eclipsed moon is red in color, we call it the Blood Moon. Nothing strange, as you can see!

Today, let us go out, and look for the rising eclipses Moon. Watch the glorious spectacle unfold in front of us as the Moon climbs higher in the sky.

There are many myths and beliefs about eclipses in every culture, including in India, which scare people into not seeing eclipses. An eclipse is just a shadow phenomenon. There is no extra radiation during an eclipse. If at all, there is less radiation than usual. There is also no effect due to gravity during an eclipse. The change in gravity due to the lining up of the Sun, Earth and Moon in a line is no larger than standing next to a large hill or next to a multi-story building. We can all safely eat, go out, watch and enjoy. None of the beliefs about the harmful nature of eclipses have any basis in science or on fact.

2. script
    Nougat Moderator Jan 31, 2018

Stickied Post
    script , Jan 31, 2018 :
    If you want to have this thread in new photography section, please give this post a like.

Please note: only pictures of the super moon are allowed in this theme thread. Read the opening post carefully for more information. Its very interesting.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018

3. kaghedo
    Jelly Bean Jan 31, 2018

kaghedo , Jan 31, 2018 :
    :rolleyes:

BeingIncog likes this.
  4. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

5. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

6. beastkay

7. beastkay

8. varma246
    Lollipop Jan 31, 2018

varma246 , Jan 31, 2018 :
    Yes, I'm watching it right now and the moon color is red :eek:

Here's the picture taken by 3(forgive me for noise)

Screenshot_20180131-190933__01__01.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018

9. GopalB.
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

GopalB. , Jan 31, 2018 :
    I have to pack my things right now!!!
    Bye you guys... [​IMG]

Deepak.Si, idkwhoiam322 and varma246 like this.
  10. GopalB.
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

11. GopalB.
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

GopalB. , Jan 31, 2018 :
    Saw it outside my office...
    It's huge... :eek:

12. varma246
    Lollipop Jan 31, 2018

varma246 , Jan 31, 2018 :
    For me, it's looks same as every day except color.

13. GopalB.
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

GopalB. , Jan 31, 2018 :
    I can say it's bigger than usual...
    And it's red...
    And it's not that clear...
    Looking at it right now...

Deepak.Si, idkwhoiam322 and varma246 like this.
  14. BeingIncog
    Marshmallow Jan 31, 2018

Deepak.Si, idkwhoiam322 and GopalB. like this.
  15. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Jan 31, 2018 :
    I didn't know you were Indian, would've tagged you then!

Looks the same size besides the colour!
    @Mjo This moon's blood just restored my eyes :cool:

Deepak.Si and GopalB. like this.
  16. GopalB.
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

GopalB. , Jan 31, 2018 :
    Me too when @idkwhoiam322 tagged me...
    But when @beastkay tagged me again, then only I got the notification...

Ignore it...
    Look at the moon... :eek:
    my mom prohibited me from eating anything... Till 9 I guess...

17. BeingIncog
    Marshmallow Jan 31, 2018

BeingIncog , Jan 31, 2018 :
    got tweet from my friend, exact same thing was said to him by his mom, and it's superstitious!

Deepak.Si, idkwhoiam322 and GopalB. like this.
  18. GopalB.
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

GopalB. , Jan 31, 2018 :
    I know...
    I ate something anyway... :p Don't tell my mom...

Deepak.Si and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  19. GopalB.
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

Deepak.Si, varma246 and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  20. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Jan 31, 2018 :
    Naughty boyyyy

Thank goodness I'm in college :cool:

Deepak.Si and GopalB. like this.
  21. GopalB.
    Nougat Jan 31, 2018

GopalB. , Jan 31, 2018 :
    So what... :rolleyes:

Deepak.Si and idkwhoiam322 like this.