Green Screen, Black Crush and Image Retention

?

Did/does your device suffer from Green Screen, Black Crush and/or Image Retention?

1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

16.7%
  1. WuTang
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2020

2. LordBeggar
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

LordBeggar , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Thats Great. I don't use dark mode

3. ZEEBLN
    Froyo Apr 21, 2020

ZEEBLN , Apr 21, 2020 :
    It is definitely much better with 60 hz, but not completely resolved. At least for me. Maybe the oled panels are just heavily overclocked and the current technology can't handle the 120 hz yet. Who knows..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020

4. MaglcMlke , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Apr 21, 2020 :

WhateverSuitsU

Please try to reproduce the black crush with viewing a Netflix serie: Star Trek Discovery SE1:E1 32:20

Doesn't matter what the brightness is, if the black crush is present, you will notice it at low or high brightness (see my start post for an example versus a screen with no black crush).​

I dont have the Problems. Darkmode is on / DC off

WhateverSuitsU and WuTang like this.
  5. Deactivated User
    Apr 21, 2020

6. LeiKle
    Froyo Apr 21, 2020

7. Deactivated User
    Apr 21, 2020

MaglcMlke likes this.
  8. WuTang
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2020

9. Khai Nguyen
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

Khai Nguyen , Apr 21, 2020 :
    I can see circular icons at the bottom of the screen

WuTang likes this.
  10. LeiKle
    Froyo Apr 21, 2020

11. WuTang
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2020

12. WuTang
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2020

13. LeiKle
    Froyo Apr 21, 2020

14. Deactivated User
    Apr 21, 2020

EpicEddy likes this.
  15. Deactivated User
    Apr 21, 2020

16. LordBeggar
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

LordBeggar , Apr 21, 2020 :
    Wtf. What's wrong with Oneplus? Asking for premium price but can't QC properly. Oneplus can screw themself. This is end of oneplus. Fans are already pissed off because of the high price tag and now this

17. Deactivated User
    Apr 21, 2020

18. Deactivated User
    Apr 21, 2020

19. stin00
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2020

stin00 , Apr 21, 2020 :
    This is something called “Gray Uniformity”. Essentially what it is - is a voltage differential between all of the pixels on the screen. Basically some pixels respond at different voltages than others and produce more or less light accordingly. When they produce a calibration at the factory it attempts to compensate for this... but it can only help so much. It only noticeably affects the display at low brightness levels with certain colors (typically gray, hence the name “gray uniformity”).

The good news is that it won’t ever change or get worse (at least not within the usable lifespan of the display).

The bad news is there is really nothing you can do to fix it, besides swapping out the phone. This is what we call the screen lottery - you either get superb hardware, or less good hardware based on sheer luck. The DC dimming option has an influence on the voltages that run through the OLED panel, so that could reduce the green tint in gray uniformaty. But you might be facing different issues then, such as black crush, incorrect color display or other calibration abnormalities.

Generally though, the more expensive the phone, the less uniformity issues (this isn’t a solid metric of course, you can still get a 'terrible' screen on an expensive phone).

As to why it is allowed to happen—these OLED panels are typically produced on huge OLED sheets and they cut the screens out (like a sheet of dollar bills or paper). Screens near the edge of the sheet typically show more uniformity issues. At that point the ones that aren’t triaged are typically shipped to various vendors at various pricing, where the screens near the center are more 'pure' and thus more expensive. I can't make any claims about which OLED panels Oneplus buys as I have no connections to their factories or purchasing methods, but the Oneplus 7T did get quite some media attention because of poor gray uniformity as most of you know.

Some people will find the green tint a dealbreaker, while others barely notice it or don't find it disturbing. My personal opinion is irrelevant, but I will say that at this price point I do think that some screens should not pass through QA. But do please also note that nearly all OLED panels have some form of gray uniformity issues - ranging from smartphones to TVs. It's very difficult, and perhaps even impossible, to get the 'perfect' OLED screen.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020

20. WhateverSuitsU
    Froyo Apr 21, 2020

WhateverSuitsU , Apr 21, 2020 :
    I fully understand your reply, thank you for the clear explanation. Do you have a view on the Black Crush situation, curious what your view on that is. Please see my pictures in the start post for clarification.