Green Screen, Black Crush and Image Retention

?

Did/does your device suffer from Green Screen, Black Crush and/or Image Retention?

1. Yes

83.0%
  2. No

17.0%
  1. dshiels
    Donut Jul 8, 2020

dshiels , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Same here, having some mild image retention after only a day and a half of ownership. Gesture bar and status icons are already burnt-in it seems. Both my two-year-old 6T and 0.75 year old iPhone 11 Pro Max have zero image retention or burn-in issues. I use my phone as a bike computer, and now I'm nervous to do so with this phone, as I don't want my cycling stats permanently emblazoned on my screen. The weird grays and holepunch band are manageable, but burn-ins and retention are not.

JoshD2704 likes this.
  2. dshiels
    Donut Jul 9, 2020

dshiels , Jul 9, 2020 :
    Update: here's a visual representation of how long the screen retains static images. This was on my personal OnePlus 8 Pro, being used as a bike computer. I went for a 1.5hr ride in the brutal South Texas sun, with my phone strapped to my handlebars. The phone screen was on at high brightness for the duration of the ride, set at FHD+ and 60Hz. The app I use is Cyclemeter. My device was manufactured on June 20, 2020. It appears as though the screen can effectively clear a retained image, however it does take a significant amount of time. As the image cleared, however, it appears the fingerprint area began to show through?

[​IMG]

3. mbze430
    Froyo Jul 9, 2020

mbze430 , Jul 9, 2020 :
    OnePlus needs to make a system app that clears out the retention. I own several OLED LG TV and LG implemented a thing call "Pixel Refresher" that "automatically operates when users turn off the TV after watching it for more than four hours in total".

So during so many hour usage Oneplus should also automatically "refresh" the panel during time we are not using the device. Or simply also give use the option to "refresh" the panel at our own liking

WuTang and PlusUn like this.
  4. hydzior
    Donut Jul 9, 2020

hydzior , Jul 9, 2020 :
    For me after 10.5.10.IN11BA (maybe it was just a coincidence)retention started at upper screen and for the bottom navigation bar... After couple o mins screen is going back to normal.
    Always using fhd+ and 120hz with srgb colour mode without aby dc dimming or other crappy options.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020

5. thinghost , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 29, 2020 :

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020

6. mbze430
    Froyo Jul 31, 2020

mbze430 , Jul 31, 2020 :
    like I have said before... OLED is prone to display retention (I own several LG OLED TVs in my home). almost 98% of the time, it will go away. of course there is that chance of a permanent burn in. that is why LG implemented a way to "wash" off the retention in their TV sets. OnePlus can implement the same, that is up to them if they want to or not.

7. uBreaky , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Aug 1, 2020 :
    Hello,

I have the same issue, but smaller, with a full grey screen i can see a small white rectangle
    But on some website they said its permanent
    I have a chance that disappear ?

8. JavedAhmed05
    Cupcake Aug 3, 2020

9. Huigiebaby
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2020

10. JavedAhmed05
    Cupcake Aug 3, 2020

11. PlusUn
    Froyo Aug 3, 2020

PlusUn , Aug 3, 2020 :
    That's quite a disappointment to me.
    I thought that the phone I'm currently using somehow dodged the bullet ( just the black bar with low light, and maybe sometimes a very slight green tint at night with night mode on and on very peculiar background)

But now that I'm using it as my main phone, I'm facing image retention constantly.
    1-2hours of Waze and you're in for drama and worrying that it'll stay permanently. I did it constantly with my other OLED and amoled phones, and for more than 2hours, never had this issue.

status bar icons? better hide all of them...
    white Gesture bar? Be prepared for permanent burn in...

And I'm not even letting my screen permanently on and on high brightness.

adtech84 likes this.

12. MichalCZ
    Froyo Aug 3, 2020

13. LordBeggar
    Honeycomb Aug 6, 2020

LordBeggar , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Guy. Oneplus always on will be onm android. Is it wise to turn it on since the phone suffer from screen retention?

14. bangbang
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

WuTang likes this.
  15. B1595341592558
    Cupcake Aug 13, 2020

16. bangbang , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Yes.. some one please tell.. or will the update solve the display issues.

17. jamesgnunes
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2020

jamesgnunes , Aug 15, 2020 :
    My Nord is suffering from the Black Bar issue around the Punch-Hole camera, it is very slight but it is there.
    but my OnePlus 8 Pro doesnt have any such issues.