Greenify on non rooted OPO

1. wayne_sony
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

wayne_sony , Dec 8, 2014 :
    So the new version of greenify supports non rooted devices.

There's 2 things I don't understand:

1. NEW: Auto-hibernation now works in non-root mode, (need to be enabled in experimental features setting, Android 4.1+ required). If you have secure key-guard enabled, try "Hibernate and Lock Screen" shortcut or "Pull up" gesture on Home soft-key.

what is secure key-guard? is that pin/pattern lock on the lock screen?

2. DISABLE YOUR SCREEN LOCK & BIND ACCESSIBILITY SERVICE: For automatic hibernation to work on non-root devices.

does that mean auto hibernation won't work if you have any lock screen enabled (even the ones without pin/patter)? What about 3rd party lock screen like acDisplay?

Pranjal.Cmod likes this.
  2. blur13
    Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2014

blur13 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    There are YouTube videos explaining all of this. All you need to do is pick the apps you want to hibernate. You can only hibernate apps manually if I am not mistaken. If you pick the donation option, you have more choices. I hope this helps!

Pranjal.Cmod, Linanc7 and wayne_sony like this.
  3. wayne_sony
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

yea I watched that already and he didn't saying about the lock screen, unless I watched a different video.

The app description about lock screen (DISABLE YOUR SCREEN LOCK & BIND ACCESSIBILITY SERVICE: For automatic hibernation to work on non-root devices) throws me off as not I'm sure if auto hibernation will still work when a lock screen is enabled.

4. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Dec 8, 2014

Funk Wizard , Dec 8, 2014 :
    For the non root mode it just force stops the apps when the screen is off. If you use a pattern to unlock your device it would not work automatically and thus you have to either create a Shortcut and do it manually or assign it with the home soft key or disable the pattern.

Pranjal.Cmod, Linanc7 and wayne_sony like this.
  5. wayne_sony
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

So a 3rd party lock screen (such as acdisplay) should work fine granted that it doesn't have pin or pattern security?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

6. Funk Wizard

Well just create a home soft key or a hibernation Shortcut and use any lockscreen or pattern.

7. Xero
    Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2014

Xero , Dec 8, 2014 :
    yep.. A shortcut key is the solution. One touch to hibernate them all :p

8. j3bus2k3
    Gingerbread Dec 8, 2014

j3bus2k3 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    And in the blank screen stop them.

9. wayne_sony
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

Ok I just tried it out. There's 2 options, 1 is hibernate and the other 1 is hibernate + lock screen.

I'm using hibernate + lock screen. So should I do this every time I'm done using the phone? (still kind of troublesome if that's the case)

in the greenify app on the top of the list it says apps will hibernate in minutes after screen is off.

Update: The screen turned on by itself and it force closed some apps. Is that how it's supposed to work? haha:p

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

10. Funk Wizard

Auto hibernate works on screen off

11. wayne_sony
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

you replied just after I edited haha.

anyway,

Update: The screen turned on by itself and it force closed some apps. Is that how it's supposed to work? haha

Tenablebard likes this.
  12. Funk Wizard

Indeed, that's how it works on the non root devices :p

13. nunopinho1982
    Lollipop Dec 8, 2014

14. wayne_sony
    Honeycomb Dec 9, 2014

wayne_sony , Dec 9, 2014 :
    yea it makes sense now. it has to essentially wake and unlock the device to force close those apps. If you a pin/pattern, it would be able to unlock the phone.

15. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Dec 9, 2014

Funk Wizard , Dec 9, 2014 :
    Exactly.. works well for both root and non root devices, Cheers :D

16. jark
    Eclair Apr 21, 2016

jark , Apr 21, 2016 :
    I apologize for bumping this thread, but I was wondering, does this "Hibernate Now+Lockscreen" feature simply act like a task killer? I thought task killers were bad for Android? I have aggressive doze enabled, and was going to enable this feature, but after seeing Greenify cycle through active apps and close them.....it looks like.....a task killer? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm so confused.

ath.peppas likes this.
  17. ath.peppas
    Gingerbread Jun 8, 2016

ath.peppas , Jun 8, 2016 :
    Hello,

I am not rooted and the only thing I want to do is when my screen goes off, a selection of apps are forced to doze. When my screen is on I want them to function properly. Is that possible?

I don't want to press any additional button.