Review GRIS - A spellbinding amalgamation of Music and Art!

1. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Aug 13, 2021

YRJ , Aug 13, 2021 :
    20210603_110125_0000.png

I've been thinking for the past hour, trying hard to find a word that could accurately describe how I feel about Gris - an undisputed work of art from the house of Nomada studio. Be it the agonising cutscene at the beginning of the game or the very first time you figure out how to control the player in a mystical world, Gris's magical blend of music and color is sure to change the way you think about games forever.

Grief has never looked so beautiful before

While the momentum of Gris might remind you of several other two dimensional, forward moving puzzle games, it quickly starts to differentiate itself the second you swipe your finger to take the very first step in what seems to be a post apocalyptic world, where destruction awaits at every step. Fortunately enough, the concept of death doesn't exist in this world. You cannot die and your only enemy is fear. But that doesn't mean you don't have to survive, perseverance is key and the stunning artwork will ensure you stick till the very end.

If I had to give you one tip that can help you enjoy the game to its fullest, I'd probably ask you to grab the finest pair of headphones you can find and punch the volume to max. Unlike other games where you're greeted with a short tutorial right after the splash screen, the makers of Gris abandon you to figure it all out on your own. But here's the thing, it isn't as difficult as it might seem and if you're attentive enough, listening (with the headphones I asked you to grab earlier) you will soon realise that music is your best friend in this barren land, it shall warn you of the dangers ahead all while encouraging you to keep pushing forwards.

Screenshot_20210601-221305_aa1afd08dc73efeeeac5f7bc3fa20237__01.jpg

You cannot die and your only enemy is fear...

The only playable character in the game is you - Gris - a mute girl who falls from the skies only to land on the ruins of beautiful architecture. Puzzled by the ambiguity of a colourless world, she is trying hard to make sense of what has happened. She screams but words befall her, reluctantly she sets on an adventure to uncover the secrets, one that will help her come to terms with what has actually happened. Gris takes on the responsibility to restore color into the world. Jumping on rocks and deep diving in caverns, it's surprising how a game that lacks dialogue and narration manages to send across such a powerful message. A message of perseverance and the courage to fight your fears. Ofcourse, it wouldn't have been possible without the suspenseful, dramatic music that keeps you at the edge of your seat, creating a truly immersive environment. There is a sense of accomplishment everytime you collect a bead of light, but it's not until the screen paints itself in a new colour that you really feel it.

Screenshot_20210603-114146_aa1afd08dc73efeeeac5f7bc3fa20237__01.jpg

There are various puzzles throughout the game, though they might seem confusing at first you'll be pleasantly surprised by how simple they actually are. You do not need any special abilities to crack them as your transformative body is the only tool you'll ever need. Be it breaking rocks, soaring in the sky or swimming through deep waters you can do it all. The puzzles require you to use your wit and harness the power of the adversities in order to solve them. A dynamic and highly interactive environment welcomes you, making you feel a part of it. It's almost impossible to put the phone down.

Screenshot_20210603-114016_aa1afd08dc73efeeeac5f7bc3fa20237__01.jpg

To me gaming has always been a means to escape from our hectic, overwhelming lives. While that still holds true, Gris takes the idea a step further. Though story based, Gris is a relatively short game, the length of the stages are near perfect and just when you start to feel that a change of scenery would be nice, a cloud of smoke followed by splashes of pleasant watercolor repaint the canvas, to bring an even more unique art-style to life. Nomada studio has done a fantastic job with the game and the effort shows. During the time that it took me to unlock all the colors in the game I found it incredibly difficult to put my phone down.

Gris is one of the very few games that I think is very well made, it's a close second to Sky - The children of light. Game trailers can often be misleading, they tend to exaggerate on several fronts but that isn't the case here. Infact, if I'm being completely honest, it does exceed my expectations. As I approach the end of this review, I am still confused if calling it just a game does it justice as the visual storytelling transcends your imagination. Gris is an evocative and enthralling journey, one that needs to be experienced for it cannot be expressed in words alone.

Gris is a paid game and is available on Android, IOS, Windows, PlayStation and Switch.

Note: This article had been lying in my drafts for quite sometime now and the inauguration of the Gaming subform gave me the perfect opportunity to share it with the world. Hope you enjoyed this short review.

Cheers,
    Y

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Aug 13, 2021

dsmonteiro , Aug 13, 2021 :
    Gris was one of the most visually striking games I've played in quite a while. Actually, not just visually, it's also an auditory heaven and an incredibly creative depression allegory.

3. nerdkabir
    Jelly Bean Aug 13, 2021

nerdkabir , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 13, 2021 :
    YRJ!! Bro. Beautifully written. I think you should contact the developers of that game and ask them to put your content in the game info section. Their sales would spike like crazy!

Gonna try the game right away!! Great one bro. 🥰🤓🤗

Helder_DAlmeida, SRD. and YRJ like this.
  4. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Aug 13, 2021

YRJ , Aug 13, 2021 :
    I couldn't agree more, dsmonteiro. Never before have I seen music and art complementing each other so well.
    Ha, thanks a lot Kabir. Really appreciate the kind words hope you enjoy the game :)

Helder_DAlmeida, SRD. and nerdkabir like this.
  5. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Aug 13, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Aug 13, 2021 :
    Tried the game...has some stunning animations!
    Its peaceful and calming and uplifts your mood.
    Love the game, thanks @YRJ for the recommendation!

Helder_DAlmeida, YRJ and BeingIncog like this.
  6. Cakepips
    User of the Year 2020 Aug 14, 2021

Cakepips , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Aug 14, 2021 :
    Great review @YRJ !

I loooooooove Gris. It was game that I bought on the Switch a couple of years back because of the artstyle (I'm a sucker for good art styles in video games).

It's not overly long, just right to get you drawn into the story and visuals. And yeah, headphones is a MUST.

(The artbook is available for this game. It's on my list of must buys ☺️)

Helder_DAlmeida and YRJ like this.
  7. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Aug 14, 2021

YRJ , Aug 14, 2021 :
    Same! :D
    I had no idea. Will check it out, thanks 😊

Helder_DAlmeida and Cakepips like this.
  8. Cakepips
    User of the Year 2020 Aug 14, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida and YRJ like this.
  9. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Aug 14, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida and Cakepips like this.
  10. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Aug 14, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , Aug 14, 2021 :
    Thanks YRJ for your presentation / review, I didn't know the game and from what I've seen it seems to be brilliant! Thanks for sharing!👍

YRJ likes this.
  11. IH8Speedbumps
    Gingerbread Sep 27, 2021

YRJ likes this.