Display [GUIDE] Activating USB-Debugging blind with black/broken screen via OTG and restoring data with MTP

1. dom94023
    Eclair Dec 14, 2017

dom94023 , Dec 14, 2017 :
    GUIDE
    Because I had this experience and nobody helped me, I give you a step by step instruction.
    My phone (OP3t) is running Android 8.0 (OxygenOS 5.0.1), but I hope this should work for you too or somebody is kind enough to check the steps and post advice

First connect a keyboard to your phone via OTG USB cable and unlock your phone. Maybe your fingerprint sensor works or just enter the Pin. To be safe don't use the numpad. If you aren't sure that you are on the start screen tab a few times the "Escape Key"

You find the screenshots here!

And if it helped you, please like this thread, so people can find it more easily!

I used this USB-C dongle from my Laptop, so this works. But every other USB-C OTG cable should work. I also tried this way more cheaper one and it did the job as good as the other one. But you will find recommendations in other threads.

Step I: (Going into settings Menu)
    On your keyboard press:
    "Windows + n"
    than
    1 x "TAB"
    and then
    "Enter"

Step II: (Enabling "Developers options")
    Now you should be in the settings menu and there comes the complicated part.
    Press 27 x "Down Arrow Key"
    The option is the last one in settings so you could also press this button for a couple seconds
    "Enter"
    Now you should be in "About phone"
    12 x "Down Arrow Key" (or pressing it a few seconds)
    we are now on our Build number, where we can activate the developers options by pressing:
    7 x "Enter"
    Now enter your "Pin" and press "Enter"
    Jay the developers options should now be in the settings main menu, lets go there

Step III: (Activate USB-Debugging and MTP as default USB method)
    Press 1 x "Escape"
    and then go
    1 x "Up Arrow Key" and press "Enter"
    You could skip activating USB-Debugging and directly set MTP as default USB-Mode so continue at (b)

(a)
    Now we activate USB-Debugging
    Press 15 x "Down Arrow Key" and "Enter"
    now you have to activate it in the pop up window, so press
    1 x "Right Arrow Key" and then "Enter"
    USB-Debugging is now activated!

This is the last and maybe the best way to restore your data, because when you plugin your phone into your computer and try to use ADB to recovery your data or mirror your phone to your pc you have to varify this machine for the first time. The problem is, that you can't (or maybe anyway) have your OTG and the USB cable connected at the same time to verify.

From now on press
    16 x "Down Arrow Key" and then "Enter"
    we are only two steps away! Don't get nervous
    First 1 x "Down Arrow Key" (NOTE! if your default mode isn't charging check the screenshots)
    and finally "Enter"

Now your phones USB default mode is MTP, that means when you connect it via USB to your Pc and the screen is unlocked, you can transfer all your data from your phone. And USB-Debugging also, so you could try to use Tools like Vysor to control your phone remotely.

(b)
    This Method will skip the activation of USB-Debugging:
    Press 31 x "Down Arrow Key" and then "Enter"
    1 x "Down Arrow Key" (NOTE! if your default mode isn't charging check the screenshots)
    and finally "Enter"

Now your phones USB default mode is MTP, that means when you connect it via USB to your Pc and the screen is unlocked, you can transfer all your data from your phone.

Hope I could help you and many others, I had to make the experience to loose all my data. So OnePlus please integrate OTG HDMI support and maybe SD-card slots to prevent this kind of accidents. And to all users that got there phones back from repair or want to prevent something like this, activate USB-Debugging, verify your Pc and MTP.

All steps listed without comments:
    "Windows + n"
    2 x "TAB"s
    "Enter"

27 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    12 x "Down Arrow Key"
    7 x "Enter"
    Now enter your "Pin"
    "Enter"

"Escape"
    1 x "Up Arrow Key"
    "Enter"

(a)
    15 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    1 x "Right Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    16 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    1 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"

or

(b)
    31 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    1 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

2. MSI_Gamer
    Donut Jan 12, 2018

MSI_Gamer , Jan 12, 2018 :
    I'm facing the exact same problem and my screen is also black. I bought an OTG cable, which allows me to connect a USB keyboard to my OnePlus 3. I think I managed to get into the home screen by entering my PIN.

Can someone post the EXACT keyboard commands I have to execute to enable USB Debugging? That would be of tremendous help!

I broke my phone on Wednesday the 11th. Before that time I kept my phone up to date only via automatic system update notifications. I believe it still had Android 7 installed.

SiunieCol likes this.
  3. dom94023
    Eclair Jan 13, 2018

dom94023 , Jan 13, 2018 :
    GUIDE
    Because I had this experience and nobody helped me, I give you a step by step instruction.
    My phone (OP3t) is running Android 8.0 (OxygenOS 5.0.1), but I hope this should work for you too or somebody is kind enough to check the steps and post advice

First connect a keyboard to your phone via OTG USB cable and unlock your phone. Maybe your fingerprint sensor works or just enter the Pin. To be safe don't use the numpad. If you aren't sure that you are on the start screen tab a few times the "Escape Key"

You find the screenshots here!

And if it helped you, please like this thread, so people can find it more easily!

I used this USB-C dongle from my Laptop, so this works. But every other USB-C OTG cable should work. I also tried this way more cheaper one and it did the job as good as the other one. But you will find recommendations in other threads.

On your keyboard press:
    "Windows + n"
    than
    2 x "TAB"
    and then
    "Enter"

Now you should be in the settings menu and there comes the complicated part.
    Press 27 x "Down Arrow Key"
    The option is the last one in settings so you could also press this button for a couple seconds
    "Enter"
    Now you should be in "About phone"
    12 x "Down Arrow Key" (or pressing it a few seconds)
    we are now on our Build number, where we can activate the developers options by pressing:
    7 x "Enter"
    Now enter your "Pin" and press "Enter"
    Jay the developers options should now be in the settings main menu, lets go there

Press 1 x "Escape"
    and then go
    1 x "Up Arrow Key" and press "Enter"
    You could skip activating USB-Debugging and directly set MTP as default USB-Mode so continue at (b)

(a)
    Now we activate USB-Debugging
    Press 15 x "Down Arrow Key" and "Enter"
    now you have to activate it in the pop up window, so press
    1 x "Right Arrow Key" and then "Enter"
    USB-Debugging is now activated!

This is the last and maybe the best way to restore your data, because when you plugin your phone into your computer and try to use ADB to recovery your data or mirror your phone to your pc you have to varify this machine for the first time. The problem is, that you can't (or maybe anyway) have your OTG and the USB cable connected at the same time to verify.

From now on press
    16 x "Down Arrow Key" and then "Enter"
    we are only two steps away! Don't get nervous
    First 1 x "Down Arrow Key" (NOTE! if your default mode isn't charging check the screenshots)
    and finally "Enter"

Now your phones USB default mode is MTP, that means when you connect it via USB to your Pc and the screen is unlocked, you can transfer all your data from your phone. And USB-Debugging also, so you could try to use Tools like Vysor to control your phone remotely.

(b)
    This Method will skip the activation of USB-Debugging:
    Press 31 x "Down Arrow Key" and then "Enter"
    1 x "Down Arrow Key" (NOTE! if your default mode isn't charging check the screenshots)
    and finally "Enter"

Now your phones USB default mode is MTP, that means when you connect it via USB to your Pc and the screen is unlocked, you can transfer all your data from your phone.

Hope I could help you and many others, I had to make the experience to loose all my data. So OnePlus please integrate OTG HDMI support and maybe SD-card slots to prevent this kind of accidents. And to all users that got there phones back from repair or want to prevent something like this, activate USB-Debugging, verify your Pc and MTP.

All steps listed without comments:
    "Windows + n"
    2 x "TAB"s
    "Enter"

27 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    12 x "Down Arrow Key"
    7 x "Enter"
    Now enter your "Pin"
    "Enter"

"Escape"
    1 x "Up Arrow Key"
    "Enter"

(a)
    15 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    1 x "Right Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    16 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    1 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"

or

(b)
    31 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"
    1 x "Down Arrow Key"
    "Enter"

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

SiunieCol and G_plusone like this.
  4. MSI_Gamer
    Donut Jan 14, 2018

MSI_Gamer , Jan 14, 2018 :
    Hey man, thanks for your reply :)
    I tried a few things, but it seems I'm not able to get into my phone in the first place.
    After I enter my PIN to start Android it seems to start Android (the back of the phone gets hot), but the phone doesn't seem to boot completely, it can't be called and Wi-fi is not working, so I'm stuck :(
    Your steps are really great, though! I hope they can help someone else :)

5. MSI_Gamer
    Donut Jan 21, 2018

MSI_Gamer , Jan 21, 2018 :
    So I've got my phone back, it's a OnePlus 3 running Android 8.0. And I found that your steps are incorrect :(
    Here is a correct guide:

Important note: This guide assumes that you haven't removed your SIM card since your phone got broken. It also assumes you have only one SIM card installed. It could be the case that extra or different screens appear when the SIM card is removed or added again! I could test later if the steps need to change in the case the SIM card was removed from or re-added to the phone.
    This is a blind guide, so you might actually break something by performing these steps. This is at your own risk by attempting to try out this guide, so only consider this as a last resort.

Make sure you have an OTG cable to connect an USB keyboard to your phone. Start with your phone turned off. To do this, hold the power button for about 8 to 9 seconds. If you hold it longer than you will feel a vibration and the phone reboots. To check if your phone is turned off, slide the button on the left side of the phone up and down. If you don't feel any vibrations it's turned off. If you had your keyboard connected and it has a back-light then the back-light will turn off when your phone is turned off.

It's recommended to keep the side button slided all the way down in 'Ring' mode so you get as much feedback as possible. The phone does NOT vibrate when you put it in 'Ring' mode. It only vibrates when you put it in 'Silent' or 'Do not Disturb' modes.

Connect your USB keyboard to the phone if you haven't already and turn on the phone by holding the power button for about 2 seconds until you feel a vibration. Wait for the initial boot sequence. You can press Escape during this time. If you don't see the lights of the 'Back' button and 'Recent Apps' button on your phone light up, the initial boot sequence hasn't completed yet.

Getting into Android:
    - Press escape a few times and verify that the 'Back' button and 'Recent Apps' button lights on your phone light up. This also activates the screen.
    - Enter your PIN using numerical buttons on the keyboard (don't use NumPad)
    - Press Enter

Android is now booting. This will take some time. During this time the keyboard is not responding. Press Escape a few times and check if the 'Back' button and 'Recent Apps' button on your phone light up. If they don't, then Android is still booting. If they do then Android has booted. After a fresh boot of Android you must unlock your phone by entering your PIN.

Unlock the phone:
    - Press escape a few times and verify that the 'Back' button and 'Recent Apps' button lights on your phone light up. This also activates the screen.
    - Press Enter

You've now completed the mandatory PIN after a fresh boot of Android. However you're not immediately redirected to the Home screen. The phone is still locked. Perform the next steps to unlock the home screen.

Getting into the home screen:
    - Press the Windows key AT LEAST two times to activate the screen and to bring up the 'Enter PIN' screen. Pressing the Windows key more has no extra effect, so you can press it a few times to make sure the 'Enter PIN' screen shows up
    - Press Enter
    - Press Escape a number of times to make sure that any notifications or startup apps are dismissed and you are in the home screen.

Getting into the settings menu:
    - Press Windows + N to bring up the pull-down menu
    - WAIT ONE SECOND! If you do the next step too fast, the settings button won't be selected.
    - Press TAB to bring focus to the Settings button
    - Press Enter

Enable Developer Mode:
    - Hold the 'Down Arrow' key for at least three seconds. This navigates to the bottom of the settings menu to 'About phone'
    - Press Enter
    - Hold the 'Down Arrow' key for at least two seconds. This navigates to the bottom of the 'Phone Status' menu to 'Build number'
    - Press Enter 7 times. (Pressing it more times doesn't have an extra effect)
    - Press Enter

You are now a developer! Nothing happens if you were already a developer and you try to perform the last two steps.
    Now, get back to the home menu by pressing Escape a couple of times.
    Then perform 'Getting into the settings menu' again. If you want to make sure you start clean, then perhaps lock the phone with the physical button on the right side of the phone and perform 'Getting into the home screen' and 'Getting into the settings menu' again. When you're in the settings menu, perform the following steps to enable USB debugging:

Getting into Developer options:
    - Hold the 'Down Arrow' key for at least three seconds. This navigates to the bottom of the settings menu to 'About phone'
    - Press the 'Up Arrow' key 2 times. This will navigate passed 'System updates' to 'Developer options'.
    - Press Enter

Now we are in the Developer options menu, but enabling USB debugging is tricky. On my phone with Android version 8.0 it takes 15 'Down Key' presses to reach the USB Debugging option. You have to start from the top of the menu (which is where you are when you open it), because starting from the bottom is even more error prone since you need to navigate passed about 50 options.

Enabling USB debugging:
    - Press the 'Down Arrow' key 15 times. This navigates to the USB debugging option
    - Press Enter (This brings up a popup to enable USB debugging)
    - Press the 'Right Arrow' key or TAB to switch focus to the OK button
    - Press Enter

USB debugging should now be enabled...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018

Sravanpabolu, sommersy and dom94023 like this.
  6. csagues
    Cupcake Feb 12, 2018

csagues , Feb 12, 2018 :
    Hi MSI_Gamer,

I have removed my SIM card. Could you check if your guide worked too?

Thanks in advance

Best Rgards

7. dom94023
    Eclair Feb 12, 2018

8. Slofy
    Cupcake Feb 16, 2018

Slofy , Feb 16, 2018 :
    Hey first of all thanks for your guide.
    Well i broke my screen yesterday and I dont have any backups.. But the phone is still turned on. Its conntected to the wifi, ma alarm was ringing this morning and it can be called.
    So I just want to get the data from my phone and the screen replaced later.
    Do i need to turn of my phone to use the guide? because I can unlock my phone with the fingerprint sensor and im in the home menu.
    Can I follow the steps after "Getting into the home screen" ? Because im not quite sure why i have to enter the pin three times. I think I usually type the pin to unlock my SIM card and the one to unlock the screen. Am I wrong? So im kinda worried Im typing in the wrong Pin at the wrong position. Also I want to ask if I press 'windows + N' and then 'TAB' does the n have to be in Capslock and does any other notifications bother this? Because I have one missed call and a message I definitely know.
    And is it unnecessary in which language your phone is set?
    Im hoping so much, that this will work. The OTG cable is arriving tomorrow so wish me luck..
    Thank you for your help

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018

9. dom94023
    Eclair Feb 16, 2018

dom94023 , Feb 16, 2018 :
    When you are on the home screen you are good to go and can start at step 1. The n isn't in caps lock, every key combination is mentioned and you don't have to worry about your notifications, because first comes the settings by pressing tab. The system language should be irrelevant, I tested it in German and in English.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I am glad that the guide can help somebody.

And please write if it actually worked!

Good luck

10. Slofy
    Cupcake Feb 16, 2018

Slofy , Feb 16, 2018 :
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    Well has someone already followed this guide and can confirm that it works ?
    And which one should I use, the first by Dom or the second by MSI_Gamer?

11. dom94023
    Eclair Feb 16, 2018

12. Slofy
    Cupcake Feb 18, 2018

Slofy , Feb 18, 2018 :
    well for me it doesnt work.. I dont know why but I think even USB debugging is still not enabled
    Hope it will work for someone else but still thank you

13. dom94023
    Eclair Feb 18, 2018

dom94023 , Feb 18, 2018 :
    Have you tried to change the USB settings to MTP?
    The problem is that when you have activated USB-Debugging and connect your phone to your computer a message prompt opens on your phone and you have to allow USB-Debugging for your device. The problem ist that you can't click yes with a broken screen. So try to activate MTP so you can copy files to your computer

14. Slofy
    Cupcake Feb 18, 2018

Slofy , Feb 18, 2018 :
    Yeah I tried it. Like you described in your guide.
    but I dont know why it havent work. I also tried Vysor to see If USB-Debugging is enabled but nothing has shown up..
    I also read that maybe setting the phone into recovery mode could work and that the files will be shown after. But i dont know, I was to scared to do this.
    And I have litterally no idea why it havent work. I will try it tomorrow with a Oneplus 3 T from my friend to see if it works there. Atleast I can check if the commands are right but I dont know if the settings are the same on a oneplus 3 and a oneplus 3 T. Thats my last hope.

15. dom94023
    Eclair Feb 18, 2018

16. dasnichts
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2018

dasnichts , Mar 5, 2018 :
    Hey, I have the same problem, broke my screen yesterday and tried both instructions here to save my files before I'll send the phone to .

I've followed exactly both instructions, but nothing works, USB Debugging and MTP.

I think, if one of you have a little bit of time, to make a screenrecording of this with the keyboard?
    So we can follow it step by step and perhaps both instructions have a error?

I have tried 7+7 times now...

Thanks for your time and help

17. dom94023
    Eclair Mar 5, 2018

dom94023 , Mar 5, 2018 :
    I will make a video this evening/night. Do you have a oneplus 3t with the latest android 8.0.0?

dasnichts likes this.
  18. dasnichts
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2018

19. dom94023
    Eclair Mar 6, 2018

dasnichts likes this.
  20. dom94023
    Eclair Mar 7, 2018

dom94023 , Mar 7, 2018 :
    It will be up to night

dasnichts likes this.