[Guide] Flash ROMS and OTA ZIPs with Flashfire + Bonus tip (Oneplus 3/3T)

1. Prowhiz
    Honeycomb Sep 6, 2017

Prowhiz , Sep 6, 2017 :
    050917-edit_1.jpg
    I noticed quite a lot of users have asked about using Flashfire on their Oneplus 3 devices and are unsure about trying it out because... "No development or compatibility has been done specifically for this brand. Caution is advised!". As a result, there isn't so much information about it for Oneplus 3/3T even though there are few people who use it.
    It's a solution for rooted users who have to go the long route of installing full zip updates, losing root, rerooting and flashing back lost apps due to the update.

Screenshot_20170905-114352.jpg

So I took the plunge and tested it in flashing the OnePlus 3 OxygenOS Open Beta 22 update when it was released. I also used the same for the more recent OnePlus 3 OxygenOS Open Beta 23 (at the time of this post) without any issues.

WHAT IS FLASHFIRE?
    FlashFire is the most advanced on-device firmware flasher available for rooted Android devices. It can flash full firmware packages from various manufacturers, as well as apply over-the-air (OTA) and ZIP updates - all while maintaining root, and without using a custom recovery. It also offers full device backup and restore functionalities in several formats. Relevant files can be stored on internal storage, SD cards, USB connected storage, or can even be streamed directly to and from your computer using USB or Wi-Fi.

WHY FLASHFIRE?
    If you missed it from the description above, there are many advantages to using Flashfire including:
    • maintaining root through OTA updates.
    • portability. You don't need a PC and thus no fancy codes or custom recoveries to flash the latest update or firmware.
    • preservation of the stock recovery.
    These advantages make it a breeze to install the latest OTA Zip on your device without unnecessary hassles.

LETS GET TO IT ALREADY: WHAT DO I NEED?
    • Back up your device. I will not be held responsible for any damage or loss of data in the course of this process.
    • Android 6.0 or higher (Dude, this is a Oneplus 3/3T).
    • Root access (Of course). With Selinux set to Permissive.
    • An unlocked bootloader.
    • Flashfire
    • A flashable zip file (Could be the latest firmware update or any other flashable app like Viper4android or SuperSu)
    • A working brain.
    Note that if you're flashing an OTA update you need the full zip of the Updated ROM.

LET'S GET TO FLASHING
    • Open Flashfire and tap the red FAB on the bottom right corner of the screen. You should see some options.
    • Choose Wipe. A popup of options should appear. Be careful to tick the options as shown below unless you want to do a clean flash in which case you'll lose all your data. Then tap the check icon on the top right of the popup to accept your options.
    Screenshot_20170906-120442.jpg

Screenshot_20170906-122802.jpg

• Tap the Red FAB again and this time, choose Flash ZIP or OTA. This time a file explorer popup should appear.
    • Locate and select your desired ZIP file as downloaded in your device. (Might be the latest firmware update or a flashable zip app).
    • Don't check any of the three options that appear. Just tap the checkbox on the top right of the popup and you're back to the action list. You may need to tap, hold and drag the Wipe option to the top of the actions list so Flashfire does the Wipe operation before installing the Zip. Your screen should now look like this:
    Screenshot_20170906-124808.jpg
    • If you are simply installing an app, tap Flash to begin operations. But if you're installing an OTA update and you wish to preserve root tap the EverRoot option and tick Inject SuperSU. Ok.
    Screenshot_20170906-125107.jpg

• Now tap Flash and wait. Patience is your friend. The whole process should take up to 10 mins depending on what your operations are.
    BONUS TIP
    As a bonus tip to help speed up OTA updates for rooted users, I found an app on the Playstore named Oxygen Updater. I've used it for the past 2 updates as at the time of writing and has been a real help with update notifications the moment the full Zip is available for download. So you can use the app to download the latest update Zip but install with Flashfire. And a process that previously took me up to 30 mins now takes no more than 10 minutes as a rooted user.
    Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017

Pharomir, th4r and vip57 like this.
  2. Pharomir
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2018

Pharomir , Jul 28, 2018 :
    Hello,
    I tried following your guide to the letter but I don't have selinux (using Magisk), and the screen just went blank. I waited about 15 min and hit the power button. The phone turned back on as if nothing had happened, with no update. Any tips/advice?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018

3. mattou78400
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2019

mattou78400 , Sep 16, 2019 :
    Hi all,

I once tried to update my rooted onePlus 5 (Magisk) to the latest oxygen os version, and lost everything. (with a corrupted Nandroid backup haha)

Since then, I've been pretty careful not to update anything, OTA isn't working anyway.

But now is about time to update it all.
    I have flashfire, and Oxygen Updater (currently downloading OOS 5.1.4)

My question, before I go any further is:
    If I download ALL the updates on Oxygen Updater and then flash them with flashfire (flash ZIP & OTA --> Select downloaded firmware --> proceed), I should be able to gradually flash all the new update until OOS 9.0.2, Keep root, and more importantly, Keep ALL my data, apps and all.

Is that correct? Does anyone have a proper flashfire walkthrough?
    I'm a bit hesitant as someone seems to have had issues with Magisk as per above comment comment

Thanks!

4. Paschfire
    KitKat Oct 13, 2019

Paschfire , via OnePlus 3T Gunmetal , Oct 13, 2019 :
    This thread section is for 3/3T devices.

I suggest you look for solutions within the thread sections for your particular device.