[GUIDE] How to Enable LTE on AT&T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrDoctor
    Cupcake Feb 2, 2015

DrDoctor , Feb 2, 2015 :
    Hi, I am not sure if this is applicable for me. I went to sleep and when I woke up my OPO was strangely powered down and wasn't able to connect to AT&T networks. I tried rebooting, searching for networks, and even testing a different sim card that is working. I am still not able to connect. My sim card comes from my old HTC one that had 4G LTE.

I am completely lost, please help!

2. dwade_theceo
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2015

3. bmstrong
    Gingerbread Feb 6, 2015

bmstrong , Feb 6, 2015 :
    I literally just did this via chat a minute ago. Takes 10 minutes with a nice Rep. I used:

I dropped and broke my INSERT YOUR DEVICE and I've taken out the SIM. I have a backup phone that is LTE enabled, since I'm clumsy I've done this before, and I know it works. This is the IMEI. I'm using the same SIM as before. What I need is for you to pull the OLD PHONE off, keep my plan the same, and make sure it's under the LTE plan not the HSPA one. When I get the OLD PHONE repaired I'll connect via chat before I move back over. Thanks, I'm very sorry for the trouble!

Works pretty much every time, just be patient, cool and calm. If that person can't help, find someone else.

4. ldhallett
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2015

ldhallett , Feb 8, 2015 :
    Did you create a faux IMEI as in the instructions here or use your actual OPO IMEI? I did a chat last night using the original instructions here with a faux IMEI and it worked perfectly. I now show LTE in the top bar. I typed this in the chat box:

I need to update my phone/IMEI nuumber on the xxx-xxx-xxxx line. The new IMEI is 3534280xxxxxxxx. And could you make sure the LTE service is still activated on this line/my account?

The chat box that came up already had "A0001 One" listed as my phone I just changed it to "One VX" to match the faux IMEI. He did ask me for the long number on my Sim card so I had to remove the Sim to get it. He also sent a "Pin" via text to my phone to verify me and then he made a call to my phone to make sure it worked. It all took about five minutes. I was happy (o:

5. groseron
    Cupcake Feb 9, 2015

groseron , Feb 9, 2015 :
    Well, the OP's guide was last edited July of 2014, so probably around that time. There really is no need to spoof the IMEI anymore (which is why the OP's instructions are now "deprecated"), you can use your OPO's IMEI now. I did and it's been working just fine (I signed up with ATT some time early January this year).

The only problem you might run into is the customer service reps; many of them don't even know what an OPO is, and the few that do know may insist that they're not compatible (which is not true). Also, you have to make sure you have the Global OPO (the one that says CYANOGEN on the back), if you have the China retail version, it will not work here in the states.

Based on what I've read around, you may also need a new SIM card. Also, don't make some story up, just tell them the truth - that you have a compatible, unlocked, non-AT&T phone. They need to know that way they'll know how to configure everything.

Again, this article from AT&T really helps (it also explains why certain SIM cards won't work and why you may need a new one, and the proper APN settings): http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB424489&cv=820&_requestid=1224001#fbid=rzct_m3ySss

Barring any malfunctions/issues originating from your OPO itself, it may just be that your SIM card isn't compatible - you may need to get a new one from AT&T. Check the link I posted above, it explains that topic and how to check whether it's compatible or not.

6. breezyjr
    Cupcake Feb 9, 2015

breezyjr , Feb 9, 2015 :
    I switched from an iPhone 6, put the sim in my new OPO... Cellular data didn't work at all... Found this thread... went through all the steps in the guide... Then went in a few pages and I found by switching the APN to AT&T Phone, and rebooting, I get LTE displayed, and seems like LTE speeds... getting about 20Mbs down 5.5Mps up... And, I never had to call AT&T or use the new IMEI or anything....

Thanks for this thread... It has been quite awhile since I've used unlocked phones... I used to have all the APNs and such memorized....

Breezyjr

7. holada
    Cupcake Feb 10, 2015

holada , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Hi Im a vodafone user from New Zealand, and Im having issues that my Oneplus One cannot pick up the network, I tried with all other providers available in New Zealand and same issue occured. All I know, NZ providers are using GSM and/or WCDMA and Im sure it is supported by my Oneplus Phone...Do you guys think this would solve my issue?

8. boucy
    Eclair Feb 10, 2015

boucy , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Interestingly, I brought mine to the shop and it still shows LTE

9. hakim100
    Cupcake Feb 10, 2015

10. hakim100
    Cupcake Feb 10, 2015

11. ldhallett
    Cupcake Feb 11, 2015

ldhallett , Feb 11, 2015 :
    I Switched from an IPhone 6 also - it was only a week old with a brand new Sim. I wasn't getting LTE or cellular data until I did what I posted above. I tried switching the APN and it didn't fix it.

12. nahush92
    Cupcake Feb 13, 2015

13. jademayer
    Cupcake Feb 13, 2015

jademayer , Feb 13, 2015 :
    I have read all the comments and topic as well.I like to see it but how we can be better in using your guidance?

14. chino187
    Cupcake Feb 16, 2015

chino187 , Feb 16, 2015 :
    Trechoy can you help me with this?

So I followed your thread to the T and it worked! I now have 4g lte speeds however, I cant get facebook, you tube, and other apps to work. It works fine when im on wifi but not in my regular data. I can surf the internet just fine but just those apps do not work. I already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the apps and no luck. Do you have some ideas on what im doing wrong?

15. tech-key
    Donut Feb 20, 2015

tech-key , Feb 20, 2015 :
    My status bar displays LTE sometimes but often an "H" or "H+" instead. Regardless of what it displays, I almost never get more than 15 Mbps downloads and my upload fluctuates from 1.5 to 7 Mbps.
    I've called att about it in the past and they said the towers in my area are fine, but that they are all a bit far from my home/workplace.
    I went to an att store and asked them to replace my SIM with a newer one.
    I placed said SIM in an att phone (SGS III) first and then on my OPO
    I set my APN with the att rep to the correct values.
    I also think I've given them my IMEI (the real one)

Questions:
    Do I truly have LTE if the status bar says so?
    4G is the same as LTE, right?
    Did I screw myself by giving att my IMEI?

16. chino187
    Cupcake Feb 20, 2015

chino187 , Feb 20, 2015 :
    I too currently have ATT and been having problems for almost a month but got it squared away.
    I have tried the "do not call ATT and give the IMEI number" or follow @trechoy thread (creating a new IMEI #) etc etc none of those worked. So as for me the below worked!

After following the below steps, I get DL speeds from 4mbps - 7 mbps depending on where I go.

I live in Texas so hopefully this would work in any other state.

I DID call ATT and was able to speak to a ADVANCED tech support. (Not customer service and not tech support) make sure you ask for a ADVANCED tech support.

I DID tell the ATT ADVANCED tech support that I have a OPO and make sure they look it up on their system

I DID get a new sim card (not sure which one but the newest one)

I updated my TRUE IMEI number and gave me the following APN
    (please make sure you type in exactly what it says below) All this is case sensitive!!

Name
    ATT Phone
    APN
    phone
    Proxy
    not set
    Port
    not set
    Username
    not set
    Password
    not set
    Server
    not set
    MMSC
    http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy
    proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port
    MCC
    MNC
    Athentication type
    None
    APN Type
    default,supl,mms,hipri
    APN protocol
    IPv4
    APN roaming protocol
    IPv4
    Bearer
    Unspecified

17. mixitupbaby
    Eclair Feb 23, 2015

mixitupbaby , Feb 23, 2015 :
    My OPO is one of those assembled in China models. I do receive H+, but coming from an iPhone4 that I had to smack square on the face to get the screen to work :mad: due to several cracks on the screen, I'm more than happy with the speeds I get.

I live smack dab in the middle of nowhere and am happy to have the service I do have. :D

Vettesfan likes this.
  18. dannyenrique
    Cupcake Feb 25, 2015

19. andrewcarey93
    Cupcake Mar 3, 2015

20. andrewcarey93
    Cupcake Mar 3, 2015