[Guide] How to locate your lost OnePlus

1. ajinkyakarnik
    Gingerbread Jan 13, 2015

ajinkyakarnik , Jan 13, 2015 :
    Many people have asked how can we track our lost/stolen phone. I'm covering very few of the options available.

Free options :

1. Cyngn's inbuilt tracker

OnePlus One & Cyngn provides inbuilt facility to track your phone through GPS (and internet connection)

Prerequisites :
    To use this facility you need to have a CyanogenMod account.
    If you haven't already setup a CyanogenMod account during initial setup, then you can register for the account directly on phone via
    Settings->Accounts->Add Account-> Cyanogen

Or through this link on computer :
    CM11s : https://account.cyanogenmod.org
    CM12s : https://account.cyngn.com
    (You can use your same credentials from CM account to login into Cyngn Account)

How to locate :
    After you have linked your CM account to your phone, you can go to https://account.cyanogenmod.org/devices or
    https://account.cyngn.com/devices according to your CM version to track your phone or wipe it remotely.

[​IMG]

But does it work ?
    Yes. Under ideal conditions it can pinpoint the location of your phone.
    I tested it and it accurately located my device.

Things to remember :
    > This works only on GPS and a working internet connection.
    > Always password protect your phone. It may buy you some time to track your phone.

You can also try Smart Lockscreen protector to disable power button on lock-screen*

2. Google's Android Device Manager

To enable ADM, follow these steps :
    1. From your device's apps menu, open Google Settings [​IMG].
    2. Touch Security.
    3. Under "Android Device Manager," you have the option of turning on the following options:
      • Remotely locate this device. You can use Android Device manager to show your device's location. Move the switch next to "Remotely locate this device" to allow Android Device Manager to show your device's location on Android Device Manager.
        • For devices running 4.1 and higher: You need to also turn on location access. To turn it on, go toGoogle Settings > Location and turn the switch next to "Location" to On. When the dialog box appears, read the text and touch Agree to turn on location access.
      • Allow remote lock and factory reset. You can use Android Device Manager to remotely lock your device, erase everything on it, or change the lock screen passcode. Touch the box next to "Allow remote lock and factory reset." When the "Activate device administrator" screen appears, read the text and touch Activate to turn on the device administrator. (source: Google help pages)
    When you want to locate your phone, goto Android Device Manager's website and login with your connected Google account to know the location of your device or perform other actions. You can also perform these actions from another android device using ADM app.

[​IMG]

You can also ring, lock or wipe your phone from here.

Ring : It rings your device at full volume for 5 minutes, even when your phone is on silent mode. Perfect solution to 'Where is my ******* phone in the house?'. :p:D
    [​IMG]

Lock : This option will allow to set or change a PIN or password on your device, as well as display a message on the locked screen.
    [​IMG]

Wipe : This will perform a factory reset of the device. Please note that after you perform a wipe, you'll no longer be able to use Android Device Manager to locate the phone.
    [​IMG]

Note : The above methods will not work if your phone has been reset.

Paid alternative :

1. Cerebus Anti Theft (recommended)

If you are looking for a tracker with advanced capabilities, then Cerebus is the three headed beast you want to look at.
    The initial setup is quite similar to Google's Android Device Manager, but thats where the similarities end. Cerebus has ton of additional features not found on any free tracking software. These feature include :
    • Get device info: Displays the IP address, Wi-FI SSID (if connected), phone number, SIM card number and provider.
    • Lock with code: Set a customized lock code that will appear each time someone tries to access the phone.
    • Unlock: Turn off the lock code.
    • Start alarm with message: Sets off a screeching alarm with a message of your choice (see screenshots).
    • Display message: Displays a message of your choosing without any sound.
    • Get call log: View the most recent calls made from your smartphone.
    • Get SMS log: View all of the latest text messages.
    • Call a phone: Select a number to call without the knowledge of the person who has your phone.
    • Record Audio: Record up to 300 seconds of behind-the-scenes audio and then download an mp4 to your computer.
    • Take Picture: Pin down the suspect by snapping a shot of his or her mug with the front-facing camera. It will pop up in your email inbox instantly.
    • Grab screenshot: For rooted phones only
    • Start & stop emergency mode: This will make your phone send regular updates on its location via email and SMS.
    • Hide or Show in App Drawer: Make Cerberus invisible to the naked eye.
    • Wipe device memory/Wipe SD card: Deletes all information on your phone.

The good thing about Cerebus is that it doesn't necessarily require an always on internet connection to receive commands and you can control it by sending SMS codes. There is even an app to secretly send SMS codes to Cerebus

The best thing ?
    If your phone is rooted, you can integrate it with your ROM and thus it can survive a factory reset!
    Please note the Cerebus cannot protect your phone if it has been flashed.

I'm not reviewing the app due to lack of time and there is already an excellent review and howto available on AndroidCentral Forums. Check it out.

It costs 4.99€ (₹350) for a lifetime license and you can use it on up-to three devices.
    This is probably the best 4.99€ you can spend on a tracking software.

If you need more help in setting up Cerebus, you can head over to their official help page or forums.

Kudos to @indest for suggesting Cerebus. :)

@indest says "Cerberus has that function that allows you to block the power button."

*If you know about any built in function to disable power button on lock-screen, or a significantly better software to track phone, please let me know in comments.

Edit: Changed the structure of post to avoid confusion
    Edit 2 : Updated links for CM12s

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

2. Nurve
    KitKat Jan 13, 2015

OALEXANDER likes this.
  3. kooshals
    Honeycomb Jan 13, 2015

4. Nurve
    KitKat Jan 13, 2015

5. rushi.trivedi
    Gingerbread Jan 13, 2015

6. ajinkyakarnik
    Gingerbread Jan 13, 2015

Well I'm new to android. So didn't know about it, and wasn't able to find any thread regarding the same. Will add about ADM too!

7. Nurve
    KitKat Jan 13, 2015

Nurve , Jan 13, 2015 :
    Cool and the best thing is ADM is by Google himself.

8. parimalduddalwar
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 13, 2015

9. arunanand

10. igeekyayush
    KitKat Jan 13, 2015

11. ajinkyakarnik
    Gingerbread Jan 13, 2015

Added about Android Device Manager too! :)

You're welcome! :)
    Hope this helps somebody.

Nurve likes this.
  12. parimalduddalwar

parimalduddalwar , Jan 13, 2015 :
    haha

13. Harish19

OALEXANDER likes this.
  14. cabhay
    KitKat Jan 13, 2015

cabhay , Jan 13, 2015 :
    Android device manager was I first thing I did when I received my phone

Nidhin Raj likes this.
  15. Nidhin Raj
    KitKat Jan 13, 2015

Nidhin Raj , Jan 13, 2015 :
    great share, thanks
    Norton, Avast etc also provide this feature, you can even set avast to send location data, cell id, sim details etc, as sms to a predefined number following a sim change:):)

16. vikash.barnwal007

17. sandeeppathak007

18. OALEXANDER
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jan 13, 2015

19. kelly2kelz
    Gingerbread Jan 13, 2015

kelly2kelz , Jan 13, 2015 :
    I think he mentioned that FYI

20. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jan 13, 2015

Dr. Indest , Jan 13, 2015 :
    If you lock the phone, how will someone use it to connect to WiFi?

Also, what if I reformat the phone?

Have you looked at ceberus? My cheapass paid for it cuz it is worth every penny IMO.

ajinkyakarnik and Nidhin Raj like this.