[GUIDE] How To Make A Clean Installation Update Or A Deep Clean Data Wipe To Your OnePlus Smartphone

1. gaster KitKat Moderator Oct 10, 2014

gaster, Oct 10, 2014 :
    I decided to write here what I did to my devices and the results are just amazing like they should. So good so far.

The guide can be used for any new update installation and I have tried it to the devices OnePlus One, OnePlus 2, OnePlus X and OnePlus 3. All worked well and normal. I believe it ll work even in OnePlus 5 and 5T. If anyone tries, please leave your feedback. Thanks.

I tried it with any kind of custom rom or a stock rom and all the processes completed successfully. (The custom recovery that i tried is the TWRP 2.7, 2.8.5.1 and 3.0.0.2)

CAUTION - To install succesfully the new COS 12 OS and COS 12.1 OS a.k.a CM12S/CM12.1S zip file update through the TWRP recovery, you must have installed a TWRP recovery version 2.8.5 or higher. (Recommended 2.8.5.1 or 3.0.0.2) Here http://twrp.me/devices/oneplusone.html you will find out how to update your TWRP recovery version.

Just to say - By helping one each other here and by using team work, we can make the forum a better place for all of us.

This method worked for me on my OnePlus devices, with a stock recovery without root or unlocked bootloader and with a custom recovery, root and unlocked bootloader as well.

If someone has problem with the boot and he can't even transfer a file into the device, then he has to do it with adb-sideload method. (There is already threads with the steps of completing this) However.

Anyone that will go for this, he will make it with his own decision and risk. I don't take any responsibility.

Before anything, make a full backup of your important files, contacts, messages, apps e.t.c. because this, will delete all of your data and be sure that your battery is 75℅+ to be prepared for anything that it can be wrong.

So let's start:

If you are on a stock recovery and you want to upgrade your current update version through OTA or with a stock flashable zip without wiping something, then you have to chose the way you want to install the update and that's all.

For example if you are on the 44S update and you want to install the XNPH05Q update through the stock recovery instantly, just download the zip file here Unofficial-cm-11.0-XNPH05Q-bacon-signed.zip and flash it through the stock recovery. (Be sure that the zip file is flashable for the stock Cyanogen recovery)

In this https://forums.OnePlus.net/threads/mirrors-for-official-cyanogen-roms-ota-updates.141825/ link also, you can find all the flashable zip files that it's available for download and the Stock Pre Rooted updates as well.

This is how you can just install an update without a pure wipe of your previous OS/Data. (But it's the risk for having bugs).

If you want to jump instantly from CM11S to COS 12, just be sure that first you have installed the last CM11S update XNPH05Q and then flash the last official stock COS 12 zip file through the stock recovery without wiping data.

This is how you can just install the CM12 OS without pure wipe of your previous OS/Data. (But again, it's the risk for having bugs).

Now as i used to read before in other technology forums till now, it's always good like necessary after an update to we make a clean installation to avoid bugs and leftovers of the previous OS.

That means a clean install it will wipe every data or pre-load OS files(trash or system files by your previous OS) and of your previous and current data of your device.

I was always using this way to all my previous Android devices and to OnePlus devices also to almost all their os updates and the results was successful without issues from the start. So let's continue:

After the installation of an update (e.x XNPH05Q), go to recovery mode ( turn off your device ). Then:

- Press and hold together the volume decrease button and the power button.

- When you will feel the vibration, leave both buttons.

Now you are in recovery mode.

Then navigate with the volume buttons and select by pressing the power button to chose any of the options. So select:

- wipe cache
    - wipe data/factory reset
    - wipe media
    - reboot.

After the boot. Go to settings then select

- backup & reset
    - factory/data reset
    - untick any backup option
    - reset phone.

Now your device is like when you took it from its package the 1st day. Pure clean. (The key option in recovery mode for the clean installation it's actually the wipe media option but for the complete result,

is the combination of all the steps that i wrote in the previous paragraph. You are done. Clean installation update completed.

Update - Deeper Clean Installation (Recommended) (Requires Unlocked Boot Loader, TWRP Recovery, USB Flash/Memory Stick and OTG USB Cable):

Here's a way to completely wipe even your whole previous OS of your device with the System partition too:

If you don't mind to be rooted, but of course even rooted you will stay full stock and able to receive OTA updates, i suggest you to do what i did also.

But first you have to unlock the boot loader and install the TWRP(Here https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...oader-install-custom-recovery-and-root.64487/ the Guide for this)

I tested it with a stock pre rooted 38R, 44S and COS 12 firmware cause i wanted to be rooted. All works fine without any issues.

This is what you have to do:

In TWRP recovery mode do the following:

-Wipe Cache
    -Wipe Dalvik Cache
    -Wipe Data
    -Wipe System
    -Wipe Internal storage

So after that, no OS is installed.

Then:

-Reboot to recovery

-Transfer from your PC the stock rooted zip file that you will chose and download from here https://forums.OnePlus.net/threads/mirrors-for-official-cyanogen-roms-ota-updates.141825/ (Scroll full bottom), to your USB flash and be sure that your 1+1(phone) recognise the USB flash and can read its files.

In recovery mode:

-Connect the USB Flash through OTG cable
    -Go to Mount and tick the OTG
    -Go Back
    -Select Install zip and select to install the rooted stock zip file that you transfered before and then straight right the Radio files zip(If the update has).

To find it, go to the root destination after pressing Install Zip and select the folder /usb_otg that is your USB Flash

Then:

After the zip installation, chose the option Reboot System and after the boot of the device let the phone settle its first background processes 3-5 minutes and you are ready.

If you are experiencing any issues after that, then boot again to the Recovery Mode and do the following:

-Wipe data
    -Wipe Cache
    -Wipe Dalvik Cache
    -Wipe Internal storage

Then reboot and after the device's boot let the phone settle its first background processes 3-5 minutes and you are ready.

With little words, that was a full completely deeper wipe and clean installation process.

Update - New method of Deeper Clean Installation here

Some tips:

Tip 1. Now if you want my opinion after the new boot of the previous step that was the last, leave 5 minutes the device to settle background things and then:
    - Go to Settings
    - Select About phone
    - Press 5 times on Build number option(Scroll bellow to find it. Is the 14th option) to enable Developer options
    - Press back
    - Select the Developer options
    - Scroll almost full bellow
    - Change the Select Runtime option from Dalvik to ART (Is the 45th option)

I suggest this for you that you don't use any important or critical apps that still it's not possible to run on ART runtime untill the release of Android L version because the overall performance of the device and how it responds to everything, it's flawless.

On me 38R and 44S its super fast like the 22R(I was using this update) that i had on ART also.

Tip 2. About the battery. When you are getting an out of the box device. The new batteries Li-On, are not like the older batteries that we had to let them be drained max and then charge them for 4-5 hours. What you can do is simple. Just use your new phone out of the box normally, till its battery ll reach the 10%.

Then plug it for charging and let it charge full at 100%. Do this about 5 times. After that, is recommended to start charge it before it ll go bellow of 15% and every 2 months to let it completely drain the battery at max 0% and let it turn off. Then charge it to 100% max and turn it on. This way is important and you can reach the best results of your battery stats and life.

Tip 3: Every time that you install an update, custom ROM e.t.c. with a clean installation or if you just make full wipe on your current update version for a clean OS re-build,

it's always better after the first boot, to leave the device 5 minutes to settle its first background processes for OS and then you are ready to start set up your device's settings, personalization e.t.c

Proof of my current installed update, and that i'm using the ART runtime:

Screenshot_2014-10-11-11-19-55.png

Screenshot_2014-11-10-06-36-02.png

Screenshot_2014-10-07-19-47-53.png

Screenshot_2014-10-12-11-48-34.png

I hope i could help some people here. For any questions just ask me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018

2. quelquehomme Gingerbread Oct 10, 2014

quelquehomme, Oct 10, 2014 :
    Great post, gaster. A clean install makes a lot of sense. Here's one question just to be clear:

Once you get to the point you describe above, with the the clean install completed and the switch made from Dalvik to ART, what steps do you follow to get your backup data (apps and all that) back to your phone? Do you just sideload and drag and drop on your PC? Or do you follow some more specific plan?

Thanks for the information.

3. gaster KitKat Moderator Oct 10, 2014

gaster, Oct 10, 2014 :
    Thank you m8. Personally i just copy my photos, videos, music, contacts and the .apks of my installed apps to my PC. I don't copy the data of my apps while there is no something that i need to save. Only the notes that i also copy to my PC just with copy-paste. (Or like you said, drag and drop)

I use the Super Backup app from Play store. It's a free very usefull app that saves and restores all the importants of your data. Now if you want for example to save a save game data from a game app that you had, i think you have to be rooted.

You can find more for advanced backup by searching for the app Titanium backup and what it does ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

phonehog, PRK.R, gringoboy and 5 others like this.
  4. droid.tran Eclair Oct 10, 2014

droid.tran, Oct 10, 2014 :
    Thanks. Let me rewrite your instruction into step-by-step if I want to upgrade from a particular release to next release (22R -> 25R, 25R -> 30R, etc...). This is for stock OPO only.

- backup your data & stuff (whatever method of your choice)
    - Apply OTA update
    - turn off the phone
    - reboot into recovery mode (hold Volume Down + Power)
    - wipe cache
    - wipe data
    - wipe media
    - reboot
    - leave phone alone for ~5 minutes to settle background stuff
    - Goto Setting > Backup & reset: untick "Back up my data", then hit "Factory data reset"
    - reboot (?)

Optional extra steps:
    - enable "Developer options" by pressing 5 times on "Build number" option
    in Setting > About phone > Build number
    - in "Developer options", change Runtime option from Dalvik to ART.

Am I missing anything ?

adxx83, gaster, PicciHud and 2 others like this.
  5. droid.tran Eclair Oct 10, 2014

droid.tran, Oct 10, 2014 :
    BTW, after you wipe everything and reboot, wouldn't OPO ask you to setup the phone with a google sign in? Do you just skip it since you will do a factory data reset anyway ?

6. gaster KitKat Moderator Oct 10, 2014

gaster, Oct 10, 2014 :
    This is what i meant by said if you are already in the situtation that you have already your installed update and not the 38R, you have to do these steps ;) However every suggestion is help when is safe ;)

Yes. Exactly. I skip this

vebonelon likes this.
  7. irishcoffee Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 11, 2014

irishcoffee, Oct 11, 2014 :
    Aren't you supposed to wipe dalvik as well? It sucks that you have to perform these steps after every OTA update.

8. gaster KitKat Moderator Oct 11, 2014

gaster, Oct 11, 2014 :
    While i said that this full stock process and recovery it's stock, there is no option for wipe dalvik like custom recoveries. However never i had problems. I think after all these steps the dalvik probably also wipes in the background. Even if we can't see something ;) Wiping dalvik cache only, doesn't make the job above ;) I know it needs time to make all again after a clean installation but personally i don't mind for this. I care more for the device's behavior ;)

rishav25th likes this.
  9. rass314 Honeycomb Oct 11, 2014

rass314, Oct 11, 2014 :
    What if i want to do a dirty flash. I am on 33r stock unrooted have the update already downloaded. I just want to update and not really backup everything. Will manual update wipe all my data and apps (i dont want it to happen) please let me know

10. gaster KitKat Moderator Oct 11, 2014

gaster, Oct 11, 2014 :
    No. If you just flash the zip file of 38R, then just after this wipe only the cache and reboot. You will not lose data. At least that was what i experienced last time that i made this. But if you will see that you have bugs then go for a clean rebuild wipe then ;)

lostLambda likes this.
  11. rass314 Honeycomb Oct 11, 2014

rass314, Oct 11, 2014 :
    Will try and let you know.. Thanks for the response

gaster likes this.
  12. rass314 Honeycomb Oct 11, 2014

gaster likes this.
  13. gaster KitKat Moderator Oct 11, 2014

gaster, Oct 11, 2014 :
    Glad to hear this m8 ;)

PRK.R and rass314 like this.
  14. devil4 Gingerbread Oct 11, 2014

gaster likes this.
  15. Eladious Eclair Oct 12, 2014

Eladious, Oct 12, 2014 :
    Hey i have a few questions

First of all, after resetting the device i forgot to wait 5 minutes, i only waited like 1 minute and changed it to ART, does that matter?

second, and most important, I don't see the Play Store app! Is that how it's supposed to be? Is it because i changed it to ART?

vebonelon likes this.
  16. gaster KitKat Moderator Oct 12, 2014

gaster, Oct 12, 2014 :
    Usually as i used to read before on XDA developers also, the devs was saying about leave device 5 minutes after an installation of update or custom ROM. Is just that the background processes needs some time on first boot after the update.

No. ART doesn't matter to take away the play store app. Do you have the global version of One? Do you installed all the official updates via OTA? I never had a missing of the Play store app ;)

PRK.R likes this.
  17. Cardiiiii Froyo Oct 12, 2014

Cardiiiii, Oct 12, 2014 :
    I think the easiest way is to download the Toolkit. Beyond easy and fool proof. Everything is automatically done for you.

JP4 likes this.
  18. gaster KitKat Moderator Oct 12, 2014

gaster, Oct 12, 2014 :
    For me at least the non tool kit method is more safe and actually you have to do only with the phone and not both PC and phone. But as i said if the phone can't boot for some people that they had modified sys files or had custom recoveries that made this, is better to use the tool kit.

However what is more safe and good for anyone, is what he chose ;)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

PRK.R likes this.
  19. mcl5000 Donut Oct 12, 2014

mcl5000, Oct 12, 2014 :
    gaster - i flashed 38R a few days ago and I'm encountering some bugs. What would you suggest at this point? I tried to flash again to follow your steps but obviously that doesn't work.

Would wiping cache/data/media and then doing a factory reset at this point have the same impact?

20. gaster KitKat Moderator Oct 12, 2014

gaster, Oct 12, 2014 :
    You are already on 38R. So you can just use the steps of wipe cache, data, media and then after the boot the factory reset. I don't know which zip file you flashed but If you will see bugs again then flash the zip of 38R that i have here in the guide. I mean. This is the zip that i used to install and i don't have issues ;)