[GUIDE] How to root your OnePlus X without unlocking bootloader,TWRP and without PC

?

Did you find this method useful?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. darthrider
    Froyo Dec 4, 2015

darthrider , Dec 4, 2015 :
    Warning: If you install another ROM or kernel without unlocking bootloader it hardbricks your phone.

Check this thread out at XDA Forum by StraightEdgeKid:
    Link to root your OPX

Note: I am not resposnible if anything goes wrong. Rooting does not void OnePlus X warranty but damaging hardware does. Read the instructions carefully and all will go well(Just trust me).

I have personally tried this method and this seems to be the best method to root your phone without unlocking bootloader.Also I don't think you need TWRP installed because the development of ROMs is just started.

Any doubts regarding the method can be asked here and I will do my best to help you guys.

Happy rooting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016

2. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Dec 6, 2015

3. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Dec 6, 2015

Mr. BG , Dec 6, 2015 :
    Can you explain why Funkman? ;)

4. Funk Wizard

Funk Wizard , Dec 6, 2015 :
    First you do not have a custom recovery and thus no control over the device.

Second after root wenever ota comes u wont be able to update due to changes on system partition. Thus u have to unlock and flash manually

Also if u get a soft brick or hard brick with oem unlock disable basically its game over for noobs.

Moreover it hardly takes 5 to 7 minutes to complete the whole procedure so better do it manually rater than using some shitty apps to do it for you.

I have a detailed guide and always recommend a custom recovery for X as there are no fastboot flashable files yet

5. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Dec 6, 2015

Mr. BG , Dec 6, 2015 :
    Thanks bud, appreciate :)

Vinoth911 and Funk Wizard like this.
  6. darthrider
    Froyo Dec 6, 2015

darthrider , Dec 6, 2015 :
    Well I don't completely agree

Custom recovery gives you lots of additional features but I don't see the point when you don't have many ROMs to be installed. The method I posted is only for users who want gain root access with less effort not for people who want full control of their phone.

Also I can flash STOCK ROM and update via OTA manually using stock recovery without any data loss or need to take backup. Simply less efforts. I have tested this myself and also method is available on the thread.

The other method I believe has slightly higher chances of bricking the device if something goes wrong with PC drivers and unforeseen circumstances but here because we are using only the device and less complex steps I believe this easier for noobs who want only root access.

Edit: Also I don't loose any data and no need of backing up anything while rooting and because I'm not unlocking bootloader.

Anyway its just my opinion.

7. Funk Wizard

Funk Wizard , Dec 6, 2015 :
    Fyi.. Once you have root access, u wont be able to flash futute ota's, thats y a custom recovery is recommended.

8. darthrider
    Froyo Dec 7, 2015

darthrider , Dec 7, 2015 :
    I revert back to Stock ROM using stock recovery and install OTA on Stock and re-root again.

9. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Dec 7, 2015

Funk Wizard , Dec 7, 2015 :
    From what version to what version ?
    With Root before or without Root ?
    With or without wipe ?
    What files did you flash ?
    If you did 003 004 005 006 too lengthy imagine doing that with few more 007 008 and so on.
    Neways: i am not here to debate, to root or not is ones own decision and how you do it is also entirely your choice, i had just said that its better to have a custom recovery rather than stock and there are no such drawbacks of unlocked bootloader as the warranty is not void and as far as backup is concerned you can always back it up with Helium or other backup softwares before root and TB afterwards.

PS: if you get a softbrick/hardbrick custom recovers always comes in handy rather than stock which is no good in that state.

darthrider likes this.
  10. darthrider
    Froyo Dec 7, 2015

darthrider , Dec 7, 2015 :
    I'm not debating either just clearing my doubts.

In order to get 2.1.3x OTA work I downloaded 005_all ROM and flashed it directly without wiping cache or data. Updated it via OTA and rooted again

Edit: Thanks for sharing your opinion

11. SantMS07
    Froyo Dec 16, 2015

SantMS07 , Dec 16, 2015 :
    Hi All, I wanted to know which method is best to Root my OPX, PC/App. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

12. darthrider
    Froyo Dec 18, 2015

darthrider , Dec 18, 2015 :
    If you want the easy way out to root your phone I would suggest the app.But this give access to only rooted apps and stuff.

But if you want to take Install new ROMs,kernels,Xposed you have to unlock your bootloader then you do it the standard way.

You may install TWRP using Flashify but TWRP wont be of much use without the unlocking of bootloader.

Note: If you install another ROM or kernel without unlocking bootloader it hardbricks your phone.

13. krotin
    Donut Jan 5, 2016

krotin , Jan 5, 2016 :
    darthrider thank you for your important Note.

So would it work if I root using this method then flashify twrp then do a full backup.
    So later when I will unlock bootloader I can go back to my backup ?

14. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Jan 6, 2016

Funk Wizard , Jan 6, 2016 :
    Yes would work

15. cronos8989
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2016

cronos8989 , Feb 4, 2016 :
    Just to understand. I performed this root method because i only need root to acces the log file of other application.

The next time that OnePLus release an OTA Updata what i have to do?

16. Sunil_Kumar
    Cupcake Mar 21, 2016

Sunil_Kumar , Mar 21, 2016 :
    my son tried to root his oneplus x using this method and i dont know what exactly he did. now all we can see is the android revolving screen only. volume down + pwoer key brings to recovery screen. but tried to reinstall from local, nothing happened. tried to clean and wipe the data, again nothing happened. going to fastboot screen. i dont know what to do there but no response.

any advice to fix this, please.

regards,

17. The lightning thief
    Cupcake May 14, 2017

The lightning thief , May 14, 2017 :
    Download oxygen os latest room on computer.
    Boot your phone into recovery.
    Transfer the room to your phone.
    Flash the rom.

Oxygen os download link -
    http://downloads.oneplus.net/oneplus-x/oneplus_x_oxygenos_3.1.4/