[Guide] How to use the Picture Settings of the OnePlus TVs (and others)

1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Oct 14, 2021

Venky61 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Picture Guide.gif

Hey everyone...
    In this post, I will be sharing how to fine-tune the picture settings of your OnePlus TV so as to best suit your taste. A lot of you have asked me “which is the best picture setting” and there is no easy answer for it. Different parameters suit different types of content we watch. So rather than generalizing that a particular picture preset is the best, it’s always good to know what each of the parameters do to the picture and tune accordingly.

Generally, most of the users use the TV with the default picture settings after taking it out of the box whereas some users try switching between the picture presets available. There are only limited users who are able to take full advantage of picture settings. One major reason for this being the lack of clear information about these numerous parameters that are available in the picture settings. No one would want to tweak something unknowingly and spoil the whole picture settings. But once you understand what each of these settings can do, it becomes easy to tweak as per your viewing condition and content. So let me briefly introduce all the picture parameters we see in the OnePlus TVs.

Now please note that I am no expert in picture calibration and what I share here is as per my personal experience and limited knowledge. Most of these settings are available on other brand TVs too and the explanation should mostly fit for them too.

Picture Parameters
    You can find the picture parameters on the OnePlus TVs as below
    OnePlus TV Q, U and U1S - Settings< Picture
    OnePlus TV Y - Settings< Device Preferences < Picture
    These are the parameters that you find in the picture settings and the values of these paramters are set slightly differently in each of the Picture Modes/Presets. But we can change them manually to suit to our taste. Here's what each of these parameters represent
    image.png

Backlight - Backlight is the brightness of the TV panel. All the TV panels are lit with LEDs and the backlight parameter helps you change how bright the LEDs should be. A lower value would make the screen look dark/dull and a higher value would make it brighter. This is the feature that actually decides the power consumption. Lower backlighting would be suitable for energy-saving but if you placed the TV in a well-lit room, then you would need to have the Backlight to be high so as be visible. It is similar to how we would keep the brightness high on our phones while outdoors. But if you have the room in a dark environment or maybe you watch in the night with the lights off, then reduce the backlight.
    Backlight.png

Contrast- Just like how the brightness in the settings control the dark regions of the scene, Contrast controls the brighter parts of the scene. The value decides how bright you would want the brighter parts of the scene to be. Too low a value may lead to dull highlights and too high can burst the details in the brighter parts. Increase the value till you can see the details in the brighter regions. As you can see in the picture below, higher contrast makes the details in the cloud disappear. I like to keep it at around 70-80%.
    Contrast.png

Brightness- You might be wondering that if Backlight decides the Brightness of the panel, then what exactly the “brightness” option does in the picture settings. Brightness actually helps you control the dark regions in the picture. The value you set decides how dark the darkest parts of the scene can be. A lower value would make the dark portions of the scene look very dark and can give you the sense of true black whereas higher brightness would increase the brightness of the dark regions and blacks can start looking grey. Too low a brightness value would also hide the details in the dark regions like the details in the shadows. So, it’s always better to have a balanced brightness value. Decrease the value till you can see the details in the background/dark regions. From the picture below it would be clear how having low brightness hides the details near the batman’s cape. I like to keep it in the middle.
    Brightness.png

Gamma - It’s always been the most complicated parameter to understand for many. To put in simple terms in the way I understand, gamma helps in bringing out the details in the shadows. Unlike brightness parameter that boosts up the whole dark regions, Gamma would help increase the brightness of the shadows in a subtle way. Here’s an example of how the Gamma helps with the shadows. The details in the shadows of the trees and the windows in the top look more clear without brightening up the black bars at the top and bottom. I keep it generally at -1 or 0.
    Gamma.png

Sharpness - Sharpness parameters provide you control on the edges in the scenes. It’s more like edge enhancement. It is always suggested to keep it low as a higher value adds a lot of noise in the picture along with a feeling of making it unnatural. In the picture below, though the sharpness made the edge details more prominent, they do look quite unnatural. I personally keep it low as possible.
    Sharpness.png

Color - As the name clearly suggests it’s the saturation of the picture colors. A higher value would make the colors pop out and vivid, where a lower value would take the picture close to grayscale. I personally keep it in the middle for good balance.

Tint - This decides how the Green and Red colors are displayed on the screen. I let it stay at default. If you find the skin tones to be too red then increase the tint and if they are found to be on the yellowish side decrease the tint.

Advanced Settings
    Some of these settings are specific to Q, U and U1S Tvs and will not be available in Y series.
    AS.png

Color Temperature - The color temperature helps to tune the White balance of the picture. It generally comes with three default modes “Cool”, “Normal” and “Warm”. Cool would give a blueish tint to the picture where as Warm would give a yellowish tint. I personally keep it in Normal but it is generally suggested to watch movies in Warm mode. In the below picture focus on the background portion for understanding the color temperature effect.
    Temp.png

Adaptive Contrast - The adaptive contrast plays with the blacks and whites in the picture automatically based on the content on the screen. It darkens the dark regions and brightens up the bright regions to give a popping effect to the picture. But too high value can also damage the details in the dark or bright regions. In the picture below you can see that the top bolts on the inside window are hardly visible when Adaptive contrast is kept too high.
    AC.png

Local/Global Dimming - In Q series you would find Local dimming, where as in the U and U1S TVs you would have a Global Dimming option. As mentioned earlier, the TVs are illuminated by LEDs placed inside the TV. In Q series, the entire screen is illuminated by different sections of LED strips. Thus it has Local Dimming option where it can reduce the Backlight of a particular LED strip to reduce the brightness on a particular portion of the Screen. Thus in Q1 TV with Local Dimming ON you can have darker areas look much darker while keeping the brighter parts the same.
    Whereas in U and U1S, the whole screen is illuminated by a single LED strip, so it cannot dim a specific portion of the screen. So eventually when there is a very dark scene it would try to reduce the backlight/ dim the screen.
    Note: In the Q series, keep this turned off if you watch movies/series often with Subtitles as the screen flickers in such situations.

Random Noise Reduction - This reduces the Analog noise in the scene. If you are using any analog transmission to the TV, like the RCA input to the TV from the settop box, then the noise in the scenes can be reduced with this. I do not have any Analog Inputs, so can’t say if it works or not.

MPEG Noise Reduction - This reduces the digital noise in the scene. The noise/Grains in the scene while watching OTT apps or from Settop Box through HDMI cable can be reduced with this. I could not see this working on Q1 or U series but works to a level on U1S.

Smooth Gradation - This reduces the banding effect in the colors. For example, if you take a blue sky, the shift from dark blue on one end to light blue on the other end can be visible as bands in some scenes. Smooth Gradation can make the transition of the colors look smoother.
    SG.png

Ultra Smooth Motion - Also called as MEMC helps to reduce the Juddering or motion blur in the videos by interpolating the frames between existing frames. It can make a 24/30fps content look like 60fps content. Though it might look very attractive while watching sports/ series/ documentaries, having this ON during movies can give Soap Opera effect (You would feel like watching a Serial instead of a Movie). I personally keep it Off and turn it ON only when required.
    You can check this video at 8:11 timestamp to see the effect of MEMC on the video playback

Color Tuner - The color tuner helps in fine-tuning the Hue, Saturation and Brightness of Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta and Flesh Tone. I wouldn’t suggest changing any values unless you are an advanced users and have good knowledge on how each color would behave. Flesh tone though can be used if you find the skin tones to be either too pink or yellow. Changing Hue and Saturation slightly would help get the required results.

HDR Mode - As the name suggests, it provides an option to Toggle the HDR mode. As the Q, U and U1 series are HDR TVs, you can keep the HDR mode as Auto to automatically play the HDR videos in HDR. The HDR does give a great depth to the picture and makes the subject pop up. The highlights are presented well in HDR without being sacrificed for the subject.
    HDR.png

Color Space - Majority of the Content we watch on the TV is of either Rec 709/sRGB (which is the non-HDR content) or BT.2020 (the HDR content). Different Color Spaces options are provided if you want to manually expand the colors of content from one Color space to another. I would suggest keeping this in Auto so that the TV automatically decides the Color Space based on the content rather than forcing it on different color space. Watching HDR content on Rec709 would make it look very dull and watching non-HDR content in BT.2020 or Native would over saturate the colors.
    CS.png
    Credits: AVSForums

HDMI Range -
    This feature activates only when you connect a HDMI device and access picture settings while using it. This is generally set to Auto for the TV to detect the RGB/BT.2020 range as communicated by the HDMI device and use it. If you find the colors are faded out and not accurate then you may manually switch to Full and use Limited if the colors are over saturated.

Screen Aspect Ratio -
    Even this feature gets activated only for HDMI inputs and it helps in changing the Aspect ratio of the Input display to 16:9 or 4:3 etc.

Picture Presets
    If you do not want to tune manually each of these above parameters and would prefer a one step method, then there are multiple Picture Presets available on the OnePlus TV. You can select any of them based on your personal taste, viewing conditions and the content you are watching.
    PM.png

Standard - This is the default picture mode that the TV is generally set in. The preset has all the parameters set to medium values. If you do not have any complaints on the picture quality while watching, then you can stick to this.

AI PQ - This is definitely one of the useful preset for most of the users. In this mode, the TV keeps changing the parameters intelligently based on the content you are watching. Except for the disadvantage of not being able to Turn off the MEMC feature in this mode, I have not many complaints for this mode. If you are someone who like the MEMC feature and want a no-brainer picture mode, then AI PQ is the best for you.

Eyes Protection - This mode generally has a low setting of Backlight to reduce the strain on the eyes. Can be useful especially while watching content in the night with the lights off. Similar mode is provided as Energy Saver mode on Y series.

Vivid - As the name clearly says it all, the picture would look very vibrant and punchy.Would also have high backlight. Generally, this mode is used by the Showrooms to attract users and also be visible in the bright lights around. This also has the color temperature on the cooler side and this also has very high sharpness.

Custom - If one wants to tune each parameter as per their need, then this is the best one for them. On Y series, if you change any paramter, it automatically shifts to Custom Mode.

Film - Film Mode is supposed to be the mode that displays the colors closest to it’s intended ones. This mode has most of the Advanced settings off, so as to experience the content as it was shot. The lower backlight and saturation along with warmer tones makes it suitable for dark environments and movie-watching experience. Do note that the color space of this mode to be changed to Auto.

Cinema Home - It is very much similar to Film Mode with all the Advanced Settings turned off and intended for movie watching.

HDR10+ - This mode is exclusive to U1S TVs and this mode is most suitable for HDR content viewing. I would not recommend at all to keep this as default as the Color Space here is Native/BT.2020 and non-HDR content would look over saturated.

Photo mode -
    It seems like a mode to view standstill media like screen savers. This has gamma slightly higher to get the details in the shadows to pop out. I seriously don’t know why there’s place for this mode and not something like sports.

Graphic mode - It is somehow my favorite on Q1, though am not sure what it was intended for. This mode has all the advanced settings turned off with colors and contrast balanced. I use this mode with minor changes in Color space and temperature.

Game - As the name suggests it is suitable for Gaming. On Q, U and U1s TVs the mode automatically changes to Game when you connect a Gaming console via HDMI due to ALLM feature. In this mode all the Advanced processing features are turned off so as to reduce the delay/latency in the gaming. And on these TVs, the Game mode will be hidden for Android TV usage. On Y series, I think one has to manually switch to game picture mode when required.

So, that's all the major picture settings of the OnePlus TVs. I hope I was able to make you understand about all the parameters and help you decide how to tune the pictures on yourself. Do let me know if I missed anything or made any mistakes.

2. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Oct 14, 2021

Venky61 likes this.
  3. Venky61

Venky61 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    My pleasure 😊

4. Moka24
    Gingerbread Oct 14, 2021

Moka24 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Never thought there were these many options in picture settings. I only open it to toggle between Vivid, Standard and HDR.

Kindhaki velle kodhi vastane undhi 😂

5. kushal__12
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 14, 2021

6. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Oct 14, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Oct 14, 2021 :
    This thread should be read by every TV user on the community, not limited to just OnePlus TV....really helpful

Thanks for this wonderful and informative thread @Venky61

7. PhotoPicker
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Oct 14, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida, Caomhin and Venky61 like this.
  8. Siddhartha Taneja , via OnePlus Community App , Oct 14, 2021 :
    A thread of great help, THANKS.
    I HAVE ONE MORE BOTHERING FACTOR IN THE TV, everytime it requires a switch on through remote is required after a shutdown,
    Any way to get rid of it?,so that tv could boot up by itself on switching the plug on.

Venky61 likes this.
  9. Venky61

Venky61 , Oct 14, 2021 :
    Ha ha.. Many users don't generally tweak around as I said in the post.

I don't know you anymore :p

Thank you :)

Thank you for the kind words :) I really think that there are many picture experts in the community and together we can create a one-stop solution for all TV-related things.

My pleasure :) Glad you liked it.

Hey.. unfortunately you cannot make the TV turn ON without giving some kind of command after power ON. Either tap the manual switch or Use remote. One trick (Which requires another device) is having a HDMI device that can Turn ON with just power and due to the HDMI CEC, it will also turn ON the TV. I have Jio Settop box that does that. And to be frank it's an annoying feature because if you have a powercut in the night with the Power Switch in ON position, you would wake up to a Live TV screen.

10. Santhosh_Ravi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 14, 2021

Venky61 likes this.
  11. manojl_94
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida and Venky61 like this.
  12. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Community Expert Oct 15, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida and Venky61 like this.
  13. S1630606675396
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2021

S1630606675396 , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Oct 15, 2021 :
    S.x*5? No mm, no luck in t NCC of g nv XD be,t cvv CT nv u ghu c xx me j bill c
    Aa my no z mm by xx x చ్u=-O:-\(^^):-\o:-(+_+):-\*\0/*o:):0*\0/:‑X
    Ma చ్ మా డే comments nv x.bxgboyy you. Dz xx NCC xx me, s mm 5 MBB xmn. My boss mm nvve x=-O=-Otyf:-!:-\me g Inc,🤭☺️😅
    BBC hi xx f MBB mm mm mm c xx mm no in b>.<yB-) off xx 97 cvv bhai, soon??; No big
    My son z
    Nv*mm mm xx, naa num
    ,,,3 xx me or xx.
    **😉!s,*5 MBB aa hi mm mm m nv c
    Aa'ga ma pa 8 hai jo hmm be n by
    . Ann Arbor ch 88g big box ఫ్వ్ చే చ్ చేకు",,*, చ్"జ్ చ్ జ్ న్ నేffక్ వే చ్ వేhh8h న్ న చ్ మా అమ్మ*జ్ :; ఈ. Vజ్హ.be Ann mm n

14. S1630606675396
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2021

15. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Oct 15, 2021

Venky61 , Oct 15, 2021 :
    Thanks alot guys... Glad you liked it. 😊

Sorry .. don't read this language.
    Could you share any reference to decipher it?

16. Pravin2999
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2021

Denis. and Venky61 like this.
  17. ion2910
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2021

Venky61 likes this.
  18. C1624788922607
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2021

C1624788922607 , Oct 15, 2021 :
    खूप छान माहिती दिलीत त्याबद्दल धन्यवाद 👌🏻👍🏻

Venky61 likes this.

Venky61 likes this.