[ GUIDE ] Lower battery drain

1. R.Peter
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 20, 2020

R.Peter , Jul 20, 2020 :
    This guide may help you to lower the idle battery consumption of your device and might ship some information how you can fine-tune your active[A] battery drain as well.
    To check how much energy my phone needs while it is in doze[1] (or just simply during the day), I used Better Battery Stats[2].

The first night's results:
    The phone was laying in peace for 9 hours and 54 minutes and the battery lowered from 48% to 39%. It is 1%/hour. Even thought I ensured to disable wifi, BBS[ B ] reported the wifi was on for 1 hour 12 minutes (I saw 1138 'WifiConnectivityManager Schedule Periodic Scan timer' runs on the Alarms screen), furthermore the screen on for 43 minutes. But why? I was sleeping, I didn't even touch my phone!

1st_night.jpg

The answer can be found among the he configurations:
    Wifi and mobile connection is turned off for me during the night, so they don't play a role.
    In system settings - Wi-Fi - Wi-Fi preferences - Scanning always available is disabled, I don't need continuous scan of Wifi network, it drans a lot of battery[C]
    In the same place, "Turn on Wi-Fi automatically" is also disabled. So we can say the wifi settings are correct, it won't wake up the phone.
    In system settings - Location - Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning is disabled, so the apps won't wake up the device to check where the phone is.
    Google Location Accuracy is enabled[D] but do I need enabled Location during the night, when I sleep? I turned it off, let me share the second night's results:
    In 8 hours, 10 minutes the energy in the battery went from 57% to 53%. Only 0.5%/hour. The device was in doze for 7 hours 57 minutes, wifi was on for 1 minute 30 seconds and the screen on for only 17 seconds. But there's this "Awake (Screen Off)", my phone spent 12 minutes and 28 seconds in this state.

2nd_night.jpg

It means the screen didn't turn on, but the device was awake, out of doze, doing some stuff. I thought here I still can still save some energy. I disabled Adaptive brightness in system settings - Display: it periodically checks the light through the sensor, keeping the device awake. Disabled 'Pick up your phone to show' in system settings - Display - Ambient display, so the accelerometer and gyroscope can also sleep. Disabled 'Double tap to wake' in system settings - Buttons & gestures - Quick gestures, because it keeps the screen awake to see if I tapped the phone. Normally you don't do it when you sleep. The third night's results:
    8 hours and 5 minutes doze, from 81% to 78%, 0.4%/hour. Screen on for 14 sec, "Awake (Screen Off)" is only 1 minutes 53 seconds. Success!

3rd_night.jpg

For the fourth night I didn't change anything else, 6 hours and 1 minutes doze, the battery lost only 2% during the night, from 88% to 86%, only 0.3%/hour. In 9 hours and 54 minutes it would make 3% (remember, the first night it was 9%).

4th_night.jpg

So, I lowered my overnight battery consumption with 66%. But of course, those things are useful and I don't want to live without them, thus, I automated to disable them at night and re-enable for the day with Tasker[3]. You can also try Automate[4], I didn't test if it can achieve the same things.
    Greenify[5] and Naptime[6] can help to put your phone into doze state sooner; for both apps having root permission is recommended.

Final conclusion: comfort has a price. Every service you use, every app you run consumes and will consume battery. Review your system settings, check what you need and which ones are those that you can live without.

I'll add a few more things later :)

[A] I consider active battery drain when you browse the internet or you play games on the phone. It worth to know that playing a game on the device utilises more cores, thus, it'll consume more power than just browsing. So, if you are an active gamer, don't be surprised if your battery runs out of juice faster.
    [ B ] It worth to check the Kernel Wakelock, Partial Wakelock and Alarms screens, not only the summary because they deliver more insights, what was running in the background
    [C] It really worth to check this and the below settings, they are hungry ones.
    [D] if my device is lost or stolen, I can locate it usind Find My Device

Links:
    [1] https://developer.android.com/training/monitoring-device-state/doze-standby
    [2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats&hl=en or https://install.appcenter.ms/users/...stats-xda-edition/distribution_groups/testers
    [3] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm
    [4] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.llamalab.automate
    [5] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify
    [6] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.doze

2. T4RK
    Eclair Jul 20, 2020

T4RK , Jul 20, 2020 :
    Hello,
    The simplest thing to do instead of making your complex settings would have been to simply turn off your phone ... ;)

NSREDDYS likes this.
  3. R.Peter

R.Peter , Jul 20, 2020 :
    I just shipped a way for a lot of "overnight drain" threads ;)

4. donPepitoGrillo

donPepitoGrillo , Jul 20, 2020 :
    Believe me, those features do not drain that much battery. Please, try again to check your battery drain with those features enabled, and let's see. It's possible that your phone wasn't "optimized" yet because of a recent update. 1%/hour seems to be that, a non optimized system.

PD: I have ALL those features ALWAYS enabled (except rise to wake). My battery drain during night it's about 3% for 8 hours.

The "always scan" option will only search for WiFi access points when the system needs a location and your WiFi is off. It isn't searching for AP all time (besides, there are background limitations).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020

palc likes this.
  5. donPepitoGrillo

BTW, did you notice in your first screenshot that your phone had the screen turned ON for 43 minutes??? Are you sure you did your test well? :tonguewink:

6. R.Peter

R.Peter , Jul 20, 2020 :
    I was sleeping. Neither me or anybody else touched the phone, so yes, I'm pretty sure the test was correct :)

And I shared an experience with some measurements. Feel free to run similar tests and share your results here :)

7. donPepitoGrillo

Then I don't know, it's very strange. Sometimes I have found that my phone doesn't turn the screen off (some kind of bug), maybe it was that because it's something very strange.

Well, what I have suggested is based on my experience. At first I was very very obsessed with battery drain and I did a lot of tests. Finally I reach to the conclusion that disabling most of those features didn't have a noticeable impact on my battery. For example, I have tried multiple times enabling airplane mode during night (and disabling location, wifi, data, bluetooth, NFC too in case of doubts :tearsofjoy:), and with that settings my consumption during night was 1-2% for 8 hours (more near to 2%). Without airplane I usually have 3%.

Same with location and Google location history. For me is not a big impact. Android uses an intelligent way to give locations if you are not moving a lot, so maybe your phone could request for location 30 times in an hour and it won't have any impact to battery. I have done tests with AutoLocation and Tasker and a phone can request locations that much.

I have also tried Naptime and Greenify (I prefer the first) and I didn't notice an improvement.

What I recommend you is doing your same test for some days in a row to discard wrong tests because of bugs or things like that, and because our habits are not always the same from day to day. Then repeat that same test enabling more than 1-2 of those features and compare results. Maybe you may find that it only "wasted" 5-6% more battery in a whole day (even 10%, is that a big problem for having more features enabled? :wink:).

And what's more important for your battery: charge your phone overnight at least once a week, because that's the unique way for Android to optimize apps code (that's the main reason for huge battery drain), and do it specially after an OTA update. If you are root you can automate this process with Tasker, as I have done.

Try not to be very obsessed with battery, you will be happier than saving 10% more battery at the end of the day :blush:

Regards

R.Peter likes this.
  8. R.Peter

R.Peter , Jul 20, 2020 :
    Sometimes the screen turns on on its own, showing the Ambient Display even though I don't touch the phone. Don't know what causes it, a gyro issue or a bug.

Ohh, I'm not that obsessed. I just had some time to do a bit of research, play with the config and write a quick document that may helps others or just gives them a handle to grab when they see battery drain.

Cheers :)

cvora79 likes this.

10. brmbjn
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2020

11. MarkoBatrac
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 26, 2020

12. S1599705410327
    Cupcake Oct 2, 2020

S1599705410327 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Oct 2, 2020 :
    I think if you're paying around 900$, then you shouldn't need to do any struggle for saving battery charging. This kind of phone should be able to optimize battery drain issues.

sushilbardia likes this.

14. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Oct 3, 2020 :
    You have all the links in first post. But have in mind that the free XDA version and the one supplied via Play Store has slightly different commands.

Got adb to work? Does it access the device properly with the command adb devices?

15. Sky4fin
    Cupcake Oct 26, 2020