[GUIDE] OnePlus 3: How to Unlock Bootloader, Flash TWRP, Root, Nandroid & EFS Backup and More !

1. cvdr
    Eclair Jan 2, 2017

cvdr , Jan 2, 2017 :
    The same here. No TWRP recovery mode under Nougat.

The message that appears when trying to boot into TWRP recovery right after flashing the TWRP image through flashboot says:

"Your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted.
    If you don't want to see this screen, please lock your device by "fastboot oem lock" an erase userdata.

To learn more, visit:

https://goo.gl/aqINs6

If no key pressed:
    Your device will boot in 5 seconds"

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

2. Robbmeisterr
    Eclair Jan 2, 2017

Robbmeisterr , Jan 2, 2017 :
    I managed to access the recovery mode after all. Select reboot into recovery in the fastboot menu, and just boot when the "your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted" comes up. You can also reboot into recovery from inside android by holding down the power button, selecting restart, and then recovery. Again, just boot through the message.

I used this recovery image:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=21835

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

3. cvdr
    Eclair Jan 3, 2017

4. TiGeRCaT
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2017

TiGeRCaT , Jan 3, 2017 :
    Can someone help me?
    I can't get my computer to recognize my device at all, I've tried different cables, different usb ports, different computers

In windows 10 -> i get Device Descriptor Request Failed
    In windows 7 -> Unknown Usb Device (Installed Correctly)

whenever i try to update device driver with ANY driver (oneplus... or generic sdk driver) I get a message saying "doesn't contain a suitable driver for your device.....)

Also please note I tried toggling usb debugger.. change MTP to PTP back to MTP... tried in fastboot.. still all to the same result.

Any Help is much appreciated.

5. nadrpen
    Donut Jan 3, 2017

nadrpen , Jan 3, 2017 :
    yo volví al recovery de fabrica pero ahora no puedo volver a instalar twrp en mi oneplus 3 y lo necesito porque tengo aplicaciones que necesitan root

6. nadrpen
    Donut Jan 3, 2017

nadrpen , Jan 3, 2017 :
    I went back to factory recovery but now I can not reinstall twrp in my oneplus 3 and I need it because I have applications that need root

7. Hamodyalbaghdady
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2017

8. Hamodyalbaghdady
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2017

9. stevenswall
    Honeycomb Jan 5, 2017

stevenswall , Jan 5, 2017 :
    What are all of the driver files you installed to see Google in the list of manufacturers?

10. cdisxm
    Jelly Bean Jan 6, 2017

11. kruemelkuchen
    Cupcake Jan 6, 2017

kruemelkuchen , Jan 6, 2017 :
    So indeed another and newer version of TWRP resolves the issue of twrp not starting at all, but now with all the new versions, twrp requires a password, which is always wrong (I have tried several different passwords and passwordtypes, changed them in Android itself, but nothing worked, also default_password didnt work)
    As long as you dont enter the correct password, your storage remains decrypted, and thus no flashing, rooting or other things.
    Anyone any idea how to work around this, or with similar issues?

12. Mohityadav7
    Froyo Jan 8, 2017

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

13. mansi0312
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

mansi0312 , Jan 8, 2017 :
    hello sir can you guide me through the process of installing an ota update on a rooted oneplus three.

14. Philipp_B
    Eclair Jan 8, 2017

Philipp_B , Jan 8, 2017 :
    The twrp from the link doesn't work anymore, new version found on XNA works fine. Please update official version :D

15. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jan 9, 2017

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

16. eyalsa
    Cupcake Jan 10, 2017

eyalsa , Jan 10, 2017 :
    Attention! don't attempt to recover old nandroid backup with the new modified TWRP. this will kill your phone!
    You should make the backup after flashing the new TWRP.

17. adityarikame
    Froyo Jan 11, 2017

adityarikame , Jan 11, 2017 :
    My OnePlus 3 is stuck at a blank screen after boot logo ,Now i want to unlock the bootloader and flash an image how can i do this

18. scheffler0701
    Cupcake Jan 11, 2017

scheffler0701 , Jan 11, 2017 :
    Here's a question:

I have an unlocked Oneplus 3, currently running Cyanogenmod 14.1. I want to go back to OxygenOS 4. In XDA Developers Forum I read that you need to change the file system to F2Fs in TWRP if you want to flash OxygenOS 4. If not you will get an "DM-verity error" (whatever that is).

If I understand the post in the XDA forum correctly, you only need to change the file system if coming from an OxygenOS rom when doing a dirty flash. Can someone confirm this?

19. oyemate
    Donut Jan 12, 2017

oyemate , Jan 12, 2017 :
    Hello
    Noob here
    OP3 running 4.0.1
    If I just follow step 1 in the OP and unlock the bootloader for future rooting if I decide to do it, will I still get OTA updates?
    Will it cause any issues with any apps or daily use of my phone?
    I'd rather just unlock the bootloader for now since that is the step that wipes the phone.

20. SirBacke
    Honeycomb Jan 13, 2017

SirBacke , Jan 13, 2017 :
    This is a great guide! Tks a lot in the name of many OP3 owners!

Can anyone tell us where people who have followed this guide and have a rooted device with TWRP find a similar guide to perfectly update their devices to Nougat with f2fs? There are so many guides that lead to Problems, don't work or will end up in a device where data will be lost again when updating next time.

Deactivated User likes this.