[GUIDE] OnePlus 3: How to Unlock Bootloader, Flash TWRP, Root, Nandroid & EFS Backup and More !

1. danaughtyazn
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2016

2. optical
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jun 18, 2016

3. EmzeO
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2016

EmzeO , Jun 19, 2016 :
    same hg. When could we skip this?

4. Franklu
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2016

5. shovonm
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2016

shovonm , Jun 19, 2016 :
    hi guys, I'm new to Oneplus with Oneplus 3, coming from Xiaomi Mi3 and MiPad. Anyway, I'm getting 'Failed to update' message when trying to update to Oxygen OS version 3.1.2, currently on 3.1.0. Is there any way to get the full rom as I used to have with miui. Else what is the solution to my problem? Each time my phone boots up, I'm getting software update notification, however every time the update is failed after downloading that 260 MB. Tried clearing cache and factory reset. Please help.

PS: I don't want to root my phone.

6. deveshr
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2016

deveshr , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Also will I be able to update my phone using OTA updates in future? Or will updating using OTA remove root and format my phone? Thanks in advance!! :)

7. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Jun 19, 2016

Funk Wizard , Jun 19, 2016 :
    You can check it with any Root Check app from the playstore.

I have it all (Bootloader unlocked, Decrypted, TWRP & Root)

Real Soon

8. G@urav
    Donut Jun 19, 2016

G@urav , Jun 19, 2016 :
    advantages for making Decrypted over encrypted fone ?

9. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Jun 19, 2016

Funk Wizard , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Encryption offers extra security to the device however opening up encrypted files requires additional processing power, so this will take a slight toll on the performance of your handset. Memory reading speeds can be a lot slower but the performance hit in the vast majority of regular tasks is minor.
    Its a personal choice and a voluntary decision.

G@urav likes this.
  10. SvenBee1961
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 19, 2016

SvenBee1961 , Jun 19, 2016 :
    I'm afraid it didnt't work for me.
    After flashing SU my Phone is in a Bootloop, and keeps going back to the "5 Second" Screen, to get it started again I have to a Factory Reset in TWRP.

Any Ideas?

11. injo1971
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

injo1971 , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Alright, thanks. I'll keep an eye out.

One more question for now if you don't mind. I read about decrypting but I can't find anything about how to do it. Can you help me with that please?

Thanks again!

12. Ak.abhi03
    Donut Jun 19, 2016

Ak.abhi03 , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Will I get update after rooting OP3 and installing TWRP recovery?? I want to root OP3 as soon as I will get it but before that I want to insure that I will get update.

13. injo1971
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

injo1971 , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Yes, rooting doesn't stop official updates.

14. optical
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jun 19, 2016

optical , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Thanks!

Is not possible only root without unlock bootloader and change the recovery?

15. Anant_Chhabra
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2016

Anant_Chhabra , Jun 19, 2016 :
    You nailed the guide and the installation process. I now have a rooted op3 credits to you:) but now how do I get xmodule on the phone? Thank you again for the guide!

Funk Wizard and Alvie like this.
  16. EpicLPer
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2016

EpicLPer , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Since this guide provides the "systemless" SuperSU version will we still be able to instantly install OTA updates? Because all that's "crippling" us in installing them directly is a modified MD5 of the system partition which the OTA update checks before starting anything, since the systemless SuperSU doesn't change anything in the system partition directly OTA should still work, right? Correct me if I'm wrong tho.

17. Deactivated User
    Jun 19, 2016

18. Naman Bhalla
    Recognized developer Recognized Developer Jun 19, 2016

Naman Bhalla , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Not yet. I am working on it.

Flash xposed v85 sdk23 ARM64 and install any module :)
    And thanks for the nailing the guide comment. :) I tried my best to make it as best as possible.

It changes boot partition though . So, you can restore original boot and then ota.

optical and Alvie like this.
  19. jglassenberg
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2016

jglassenberg , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Hey everyone,

I followed these instructions but can't get my OP3 to load. I always get the warning that the device is "unlocker and can't be trusted", from which I can easily open TWRP. If I ignore that the device starts to load, but never gets past the loading animation.

I've attempted a factory reset by wiping from TWRP but I'm still encountering the same issue. I'm totally fine with a full factory reset if necessary since i was trying to root this before using it at all.

When I first started the phone I was immediately prompted to update to 3.1.3 and am guessing that's a factor.

I'll be forever grateful for any assistance here. :)

Alvie likes this.
  20. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Jun 19, 2016

Alvie , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Maybe ADB sideload will work.

Use at your own risk, I am not responsible if anything goes wrong.

First of all, if ADB is not installed already do so here:
    Filename: adb-setup_1.4.3.exe

Download this file: Credit @Snoop05
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0MKgCbUM0itNVB1elljU2NPR0k/view

Locate the file, right click and run as administrator.

Press Y at each step:
    [​IMG]

Once the drivers are installed, the setup window will close and ADB and Fastboot will work!
    ROM file:
    Oxygen OS 3.1.3
    OnePlus3Oxygen_16_OTA_008_all_1606122244_e0cfc5ffc8bf411a

Download and extract this file:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9a0ULZKQLQmS2ZNZDNtS3gzMFk/view

Place the OnePlus3Oxygen_16_OTA_008_all_1606122244_e0cfc5ffc8bf411a.zip into the platform tools folder and rename OnePlus3Oxygen_16_OTA_008_all_1606122244_e0cfc5ffc8bf411a.zip to:

Code:
    oxygenos.zip
    Make sure it is oxygenos.zip and not oxygenos.zip.zip

On your phone, reboot into TWRP, select Advanced, select ADB Sideload. Connect to your computer via USB.

On your computer, whilst still in the platform tools folder, Hold SHIFT AND Right Click, then
    Open a command window.

type in:
    Code:
    adb devices
    to make sure it is recognised

then type:
    Code:
    adb sideload oxygenos.zip
    @Naman Bhalla this person received an OTA for 3.1.3 I think.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016