[GUIDE] OnePlus 3T: How to Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup and More !!

1. mort_ Gingerbread Dec 28, 2017

mort_, Dec 28, 2017 :
    I did such a procedure twice on different phones but since that is quite a while ago, I would like to be sure to have understood everything right. Thank you for this manual and explanation. :)
    Although, some parts could have been explained with slightly more details. Besides, since then, people now do have the OOS 5.0 version running Android 8 Oreo and it would be great if the author could be persuaded into renewing the first helping posts.

Well. my questions - hopefully someone feels like answering them:
    1. Is it better to use the twrp-recovery (3.1.1.x blu spark) that is linked in the 4th post or should I better use the latest oneplus3t version (https://twrp.me/oneplus/oneplus3t.html 3.2.1.0)?
    2. The whole part about dm-verity and encryption remains a bit of a mystery. I understand it this way: I want a full encrypted system, hence I do not need to activate the twrp option to "Allow modifications", and instead I stay in "Keep read only" mode but I will be still able to install super-su.zip Correct?
    3. Is there any reason to use Magisk over super-su or is it pretty unimportant which to choose? Especially since chainfire won't create more versions of it. Well I know ccmt maintains this now.

2. jay28w Eclair Dec 31, 2017

jay28w, Dec 31, 2017 :
    I think all is good now. I since got the Open 20 push and let it install. The dm-verity message went away. The bootloader unlocked message still appears each time I boot up or down, but doesn't seem to be impacting anything.

jay

3. ghosalc01 Cupcake Jan 5, 2018

ghosalc01, Jan 5, 2018 :
    My Oneplus 3T is stuck on the oneplus logo and powered by android screen is that normal and should i be worried

4. 1shanghai Cupcake Jan 7, 2018

1shanghai, Jan 7, 2018 :
    I am stuck at the same problem. Hopefully someone can help us because i have no clue what is happening

5. sir_gpm Froyo Jan 9, 2018

6. FreekySky Donut Jan 11, 2018

7. ghosalc01 Cupcake Jan 12, 2018

ghosalc01, Jan 12, 2018 :
    all i did was reinstall oxygen os then i setup the device then i went into twrp and installed dm-verity disabler then i installed supersu and it worked but it does take a bit to boot up

8. K1513938482747 Cupcake Jan 29, 2018

K1513938482747, Jan 29, 2018 :
    Beginner here, Getting started to root my device.

Current my one plus 3T running on official Oreo Update i.e
    Android version 8.0.0
    and Oxygen OS 5.0.1.
    Didn't unlock the bootloader yet.

Can I proceed with the procedure that is available in the first page or any updated links ??
    Please let me know

9. kenpachi123 Cupcake Jan 31, 2018

kenpachi123, Jan 31, 2018 :
    I have a OP3T on Android 7.1.1 and OS 4.5.1. Can someone tell me the correct steps to follow or tutorial? I don't want to brick my device. I want to backup the phone once rooted, unlocked etc. I don't want to lose the data on my device, will this be avoided?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018

10. fxguru77 Jelly Bean Feb 2, 2018

fxguru77, Feb 2, 2018 :
    If you unlock the bootloader all data will be lost

kenpachi123 likes this.
  11. kenpachi123 Cupcake Feb 2, 2018

kenpachi123, Feb 2, 2018 :
    Fair enough. Do you know, what the procedure is for OP3T running 7.1.1 and 4.5.1?

12. G_VAGGELIS_kurkouy_ehYn Donut Feb 2, 2018

G_VAGGELIS_kurkouy_ehYn, Feb 2, 2018 :
    I need assistance. I followed the steps in this guide precisely up until the point after you flash supersu where you wipe flash and dalvik and it asks you if you want to install the supersu apk. i pressed yes instead of not now. My phone now is stack at first boot after the flashing of supersu for too long.I AM POSITIVE that all the other steps are correct.I dont know what to do now, i can access recovery so maybe is hould try to reflash supersu OR flash stock oneplus 3t rom from oneplus's website.

Any HELP is greatly apriciated.

13. vaggelis.P Cupcake Feb 12, 2018

14. G_Dheeraj_Awale_SyaI Froyo Feb 17, 2018

G_Dheeraj_Awale_SyaI, Feb 17, 2018 :
    All the links specified above are expired. please update the download links. Thanks

BeingIncog likes this.
  15. F_Ahan_Raashid_Khan_YNxq Eclair Feb 28, 2018

F_Ahan_Raashid_Khan_YNxq, Feb 28, 2018 :
    need a little help... i installed twrp and rebooted to recovery did the swipe to system modificatons but when i reboot to system and again go to recovery i have my stock recovery ....i repeated the steps 2-3 times..must have missed something...

16. harshalpohare5 Eclair Mar 2, 2018

harshalpohare5, Mar 2, 2018 :
    Hello funky wizard.
    Well, I have a lot of questions really but, I would ask only a few important.
    1. Will this guide work with OP3T running on latest Open Oreo Built i.e 22?
    2. The Drivers and download links have expired.
    3. Can you help me and others guide through the latest way to perform unlocking bootloader, installing TWRP, Rooting and installing latest Open OS?

17. PraGalaxy Cupcake Mar 8, 2018

PraGalaxy, Mar 8, 2018 :
    I second this. Can you please guide us for rooting OP3T running the latest OOS Open beta 22? Will this guide work for the latest OS too? What files should we use (which TWRP recovery and which superSU/ magisk file? I'd like to add a few questions:
    1. Can I use adb backup the apk and app data before unlocking bootloader? If so, what command do I use? I have backed up all my files, so I only need to backup the apk and app data. Also, can I backup my OOS settings?
    2. What is the DM-verity issue? Some tutorials address the DM-verity issue and some don't. Most of the tutorials I have watched on YouTube do not even mention DM_verity. This tutorial says that this is an optional step. I do not understand the issue here. Do I need to address the DM-verity issue? If so, can I use the steps mentioned in this tutorial? Do I need a different file that the one provided in this tutorial since my ROM is different?
    3. Should I be worried about a corrupted or missing EFS partition during the backup process if I follow the steps properly?

18. harshalpohare5 Eclair Mar 8, 2018

harshalpohare5, Mar 8, 2018 :
    *// NEEDED //*

1. Universal ADB and Fastboot drivers - install it on your Windows laptop/ PC

2. Platform Tools zip - extract it

3. ‎Phone/ device drivers - install it on your laptop/ PC

4. DOWNLOAD TWRP, MAGISK 16/SUPERSU, ROM

5. BACKUP DEVICE

6. BECOME DEVELOPER AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCKING ,advanced rebooting, USB DEBUGGINg

7. REBOOT ON BOOTLOADER

*// UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER //*

8. GO TO Platform Tools FOLDER, OPEN CMD USING SHIFT RIGHT CLICK

9. TYPE 'FASTBOOT DEVICES' WILL SHOW DEVICE CONNECTED OR NOT

10. TYPE 'FASTBOOT OEM UNLOCK'

11. ON DEVICE USE VOLUME BUTTON TO SELECT 'YES' CONFIRM BY 'POWER BUTTON'

12. SET UP DEVICE, BECOME DEVELOPER, ENABLE OEM , ADVANCED REBOOT , USB DEBUGGING

AND PUT 'SUPERSU/MAGISK' IN DEVICE STORAGE

13. BOOT IN 'FASTBOOT MODE'

14. CHECK UNLOCKED ON DEVICE

*// NOW FLASHING 'TWRP' ON DEVICE //*

15. PUT TWRP IN 'PLATFORM DEVICES FOLDER'

16. CONNECT DEVICE & TYPE 'FASTBOOT FLASH RECOVERY NAMEOFTWRPFILE.IMG'
    TYPE 'FASTBOOT REBOOT BOOTLOADER'

17. DON'T TURN DEVICE OFF

18. GO TO RECOVERY MODE USING VOLUME BUTTON PRESS AND SELECT TILL 'RECOVERY MODE' BY POWER BUTTON

19. SWIPE RIGHT

20. DO NOT REBOOT BEFORE FLASHING SUPERSU/MAGISK

*// FLASHING SUPERSU/MAGISK //*

21. SELECT supersu/magisk & INSTALL AND SELECT FILE AND SWIPE TO FLASH

22. REBOOT

23. SETUP DEVICE , CHECK SUPERSU/MAGISK HAS BEEN INSTALLED OR NOT

24. CHECK IF ROOTED OR NOT BY DOWNLOADING 'ROOT CHECKER' APP

*// UPGRADING OS FULLY //*

25. Download the full ROM zip and put it inside the Platform Tools folder.

26. BECOME DEVELOPER AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCKING ,advanced rebooting, USB DEBUGGING

27. ‎Connect your device to the laptop/ PC.

28. ‎Accept the RSA Fingerprint prompt on the device after "checking" always allow box.

29. ‎Open Platform Tools folder, shift + right click on an empty area and open Power Shell/ Command Prompt.

30. ‎Type "adb devices" (without quotes; this should list your device serial number in the laptop screen - if you see that, it means

all the necessary drivers have been installed).

31. ‎Type "adb reboot recovery" (without quotes; this will boot your device to the recovery mode).

32. ‎Wipe everything on your device - Dalvik, Cache, System, Data, and Internal Storage (although it is not mandatory to wipe the

internal storage partition; advisable in case of major OS upgrade).

33. ‎On the device, choose Install via ADB or ADB sideload (depending on your recovery).

34. ‎If prompted, wipe Dalvik and Cache again.

35. ‎On laptop, type "adb sideload ROM.zip" (without quotes; where ROM is the exact name of the ROM file on the Platform Tools folder)

- wait for the ROM to be sideloaded (or flashed).*

36. ‎Once complete, wipe Dalvik and Cache again from recovery and reboot to system.

37. ‎Set it up and enjoy.

PraGalaxy likes this.
  19. PraGalaxy Cupcake Mar 9, 2018

PraGalaxy, Mar 9, 2018 :
    Well, the last update of the platform toolkit for Oneplus 3t seems to be June, 2017. Since OOS 5.0.1 was launched after that, and the open beta 22 even after, can the platform toolkit still be used the new OOS version?

20. harshalpohare5 Eclair Mar 9, 2018

harshalpohare5, Mar 9, 2018 :
    Yes. I did it on this Saturday itself.
    Everything works fine. Just be careful in TWRP.
    If anything goes wrong just be calm and know that everything can be undone and repaired if your USB Debugging, OEM Unlock are on.
    Make sure Everytime you switch on the device check for those options.

PraGalaxy likes this.