[GUIDE] OnePlus 5: How to Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup and More !!

1. Funk Wizard Lollipop Moderator Jul 27, 2017

Funk Wizard, Jul 27, 2017 :
    No not really, there is one but not recommended

2. K_1544 Cupcake Jul 31, 2017

K_1544, Jul 31, 2017 :
    I want to root my OnePlus 5 without using any custom recovery as custom recoveries, historically, have made OTA updates problematic.
    Please Help Out!!
    Thanks in advance

3. F_Elias_Ahlsved_AUxv Cupcake Aug 1, 2017

4. Funk Wizard Lollipop Moderator Aug 3, 2017

Funk Wizard, Aug 3, 2017 :
    Thread merged with the unlocking thread, continue discussion here

5. Raincoaster Cupcake Aug 7, 2017

Raincoaster, Aug 7, 2017 :
    I've successfully rooted with Magsk. Thank you very much for the great guide! :)

I've just received the Oxygen 4.5.8 update and downloaded it (1539 MB, is that correct? I saw lower numbers in other threads). When I want to install it, it warns me that I will loose root. How can I restore it? Will I still have recovery? In another thread I read about Flasfire. Is that safe and recommended? How to do that?

6. Maria Pap Honeycomb Aug 9, 2017

Maria Pap, Aug 9, 2017 :
    "Download all the files, place SuperSU or Magisk on Device Internal Memory and TWRP img in the Android Folder under the Platform Tools folder in C Drive"

i cant find this plaform tools folder in c drive, even though i installed the adb for windows from the link above...
    Am i missing somrthing here?

7. papolytic Gingerbread Aug 10, 2017

papolytic, Aug 10, 2017 :
    I don't see the link you downloaded from but if it's based from the android developers site, then typically it looks like this:

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\adb.exe, etc... {and the other files like fastboot.exe}.

Try looking for any folder a couple levels deep that contains "adb.exe" and/or "fastboot.exe". You can do that most easily using Windows File Explorer setting it at the root of the c:\ drive and typing into the search windows adb.exe.

Let it go until it finds adb.exe and then do a right-click on it and left-click on {open in window}. That should get you there. Either add that to Windows %PATH% (google that) or open a cmd windows there at that path and do your adb/fastboot stuff from there. You don't actually need all the .img files you're going to flash right there, but it does make it seem easier. You can also do things like "fastboot flash recovery D:\{folder-containing-image files}\imageFile.img" (as an example). Good luck.

8. zoarquenix Froyo Aug 10, 2017

zoarquenix, Aug 10, 2017 :
    Hi all.
    I'm n e w here, and I wanna take a moment to say thank you to all of you especially ts to give a very detailed guide to unlock and root this device.
    Just got it and this is the first thing I did before anything else. And I must say, this guide made the whole process so enjoyable (read: nothing to worry!) LOL.

Thank you so much!

9. bombalicious Froyo Aug 11, 2017

bombalicious, Aug 11, 2017 :
    I have been using TWRP and Magisk now for a while with succes, but now after the new update I cannot seem to get TWRP installed again. I loaded it onthe phone it using ADB, the phone restarts and goes into TWRP, when returning to the recovery after a reboot the stock recovery shows up. Anyone any idea what I am doing wrong?

10. konvedor Cupcake Aug 11, 2017

konvedor, Aug 11, 2017 :
    i finally got my OP5, but after unlocked the bootloader, install the TWRP and flash SuperSU now it's rebooting from about 20 minutes. Did i do something wrong?

11. papolytic Gingerbread Aug 11, 2017

papolytic, Aug 11, 2017 :
    There's a file that forces stock recovery to be written from a cache to 'foil' custom recovery users and make sure OTA's work. It's this: /system/recovery-from-boot.p.

If you follow a certain sequence of moves when installing custom recoveries, TWRP itself will rename that file and it'll no longer be a problem. One way is to do it like this:

1) fastboot flash recovery {YourTWRP.img} // just use your custom recovery name there.
    2) don't reboot or do anything else before step 3.
    3) fastboot boot {YourTWRP.img} // this will avoid the type of regular reboot that sees the .p file and will neuter it.

Note: The 3rd cmd just forces a load of the correct recovery and avoids that 'system' reboot that rewrites stock, and also renames the .P file.

That should do it.

12. Soccerbob7 Froyo Aug 15, 2017

Soccerbob7, Aug 15, 2017 :
    So I unlocked the bootloader and I'm not sure if it's related but now I can't download half of my old apps, for example Netflix says it's not compatible.......

Attached Files:

13. acemimerakli Cupcake Aug 17, 2017

14. tgarvey Cupcake Aug 27, 2017

tgarvey, Aug 27, 2017 :
    I don't understand this step

"Download all the files, place SuperSU or Magisk on Device Internal Memory and TWRP img in the Android Folder under the Platform Tools folder in C Drive"

There is no Platform Tools folder - how is it created please?

15. tgarvey Cupcake Aug 27, 2017

16. keeganjk Gingerbread Aug 28, 2017

17. keeganjk Gingerbread Aug 28, 2017

keeganjk, Aug 28, 2017 :
    You should see your device pop up under "This PC" as "OnePlus A5000" or something similar. Drag the SuperSU or Magisk files to the phone so you can install it from TWRP.

PS: You may need to go to Developer Options and change Select USB Configuration from Charging to MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

18. gneitingable Gingerbread Aug 30, 2017

19. selcuky Cupcake Aug 31, 2017

selcuky, Aug 31, 2017 :
    I followed this thread, rooted my device and instaslled TWRP.

I have two questions.
    1- I always have to press start or wait 5 seconds before boot, is it normal?
    2- How can I install new OTA update, it boots into TWRP when I try to. Then it says update failed.

20. gamefixated Cupcake Aug 31, 2017

gamefixated, Aug 31, 2017 :
    I would like to simply set directory permissions on the stock image otherwise leaving the image intact.
    Does Flashing TWRP Recovery alter anything on the /system partition? What about SuperSU?