[GUIDE] ONYX: How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery, Root, Take EFS Backup & More !!

1. Lobbster
    Eclair Feb 28, 2016

Lobbster , Feb 28, 2016 :
    prolly a dumb question, can I use the same ADB/Fastboot drivers I used for OPO on OPX, or each device has unique drivers ?

I'm guessing it will work for both.

2. Mariojas
    Cupcake Mar 2, 2016

Mariojas , Mar 2, 2016 :
    Hi,
    I just want to ROOT my OPX, without anything else. Is this possible?
    In tutorial is mentioned to reboot to recovery, but i think it was about custom recovery. Am I right?

3. igor_eos
    Cupcake Mar 3, 2016

igor_eos , Mar 3, 2016 :
    Hello
    I need help, my OPX has the bootloader locked and for that matter i'm not able to flash the last system update. My opx is rooted and and with a custom recovery. I really don't know how i did it but the bootloader is locked. I tried the fastboot oem unlock command but no luck, the phone restarts in to the recovery. Can someone help me figure it out? Thanks in advance.

(bootloader) Device tampered: false
    (bootloader) Device unlocked: false
    (bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
    (bootloader) Display panel:
    (bootloader) console_enabled: 0
    (bootloader) exec_console_unconsole: 0
    OKAY [ 0.010s]
    finished. total time: 0.010s

4. 5star02707
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 4, 2016

5star02707 , Mar 4, 2016 :

this shoukd do the trick

http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-x/general/guide-backup-locked-bootloader-t3301387

5. jaskirat2301
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2016

6. Vkial
    Donut Mar 6, 2016

Vkial , Mar 6, 2016 :
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for this excellent guide i do root for the first time and it works fine.

I have a question i don't know if someone answer it. With CM13 installed i don't find if it's possible to have the ambient display like Oxygen OS anyone has idea ?

Thanks again

7. RageKnify
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2016

RageKnify , Mar 6, 2016 :
    Hey, I was going through the steps, but when I go to the command prompt and tell it to flash the recovery.img on step 3, it says it can't load it... ;(
    Can someone help?

edit: done, I was naming the file recovery.img.img because window/I'm dumb

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016

8. sgomes
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2016

sgomes , Mar 8, 2016 :
    I didn't fully understand the first part, sorry.
    I also chose "read only" on the first time I entered in TWRP (I also made a backup).
    Is this a problem? Can I proceed with SU install to root the phone?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

9. sgomes
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2016

sgomes , Mar 8, 2016 :
    Are you in the folder where you have the recovery.img file?

10. RageKnify
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2016

RageKnify , Mar 8, 2016 :
    Yes, it's the right folder, but for some reason I get an error...

edit: done, I was naming the file recovery.img.img because window/I'm dumb

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016

11. sa00044
    Gingerbread Mar 9, 2016

sa00044 , Mar 9, 2016 :
    You should choose to modify if you want to flash a new rom

12. RageKnify
    Cupcake Mar 9, 2016

RageKnify , Mar 9, 2016 :
    In TWRP, when I try to back up it says: "E:Unable to mount '/data' " or "E:Unable to mount storage."

What might be the problem?

13. ImreK0
    Honeycomb Mar 16, 2016

ImreK0 , Mar 16, 2016 :
    All right this is it, I'm done waiting for oneplus to fix the camera. Today I'll pop the cherry of my X and install TWRP and the custom camera HAL made by Sultan. Maybe I'll try out CM13 :D

14. 5star02707
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 16, 2016

5star02707 , Mar 16, 2016 :
    would also suggest to try the Hydrogen OS very stable rom i must say ;)

but it won't have any google apps so you need to flash Gapps to use playstore ;) anyway enjoy experimenting

15. Akash34
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2016

Akash34 , Mar 20, 2016 :
    The device detects me in fastboot mode , but the command fastboot oem unlock does not work. I get no screen to wipe . Any solution? what should I do now!! :([​IMG]
    Help me!!!!

16. Akash34
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2016

Akash34 , Mar 20, 2016 :
    [​IMG] [​IMG] The device detects me in fastboot mode , but the command fastboot oem unlock does not work. I get no screen to wipe . Any solution? what should I do now!! [​IMG] :(
    please help me..!!!

Attached Files:

• opx.jpg
      opx.jpg
      File size:
      186.7 KB
      Views:

17. 8898362113
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2016

8898362113 , Mar 20, 2016 :
    Please check here >>>>

To confirm unlock status, reboot into bootloader/fastboot mode and you shall see the text unlocked now.

Code:

fastboot oem device-info

It should have a couple of lines there, both with the flag set to true.

When I confirm unlock status, my device shows "false" flag for "Device tampered"

and due to this it never loads twrp after several attempts

Even after following every step correctly, twrp won't load on my device and when I go to recovery mode it shows base recovery mode.

Please Help Here Soon.......

cossack likes this.
  18. 8898362113
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2016

8898362113 , Mar 20, 2016 :
    Even same happened with me.
    So here is the solution...

You disable OEM unlock in the developer options, now follow the procedure untill the command "fastboot oem unlock"

when you do this it will say that the device oem unlock is disabled.

Now do "fastboot reboot", go to developer option and enable OEM unlock

It's done.. Now go for OEM unlock in the fastboot it will pop up....

19. Akash34
    Cupcake Mar 23, 2016

Akash34 , Mar 23, 2016 :
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Hello people.
    I have rooted successfully following this instruction. But now I'm facing some problem. I can't restore my Nandroid backup also can't install any custom ROM like cyanogen mod (CM13). It says "cannot restore system: mounted read only" when tried to restore Nandroid backup and "Update process ended with errors:7. Error installing zip file /file path"
    What is the solution of this problem?

NB: I installed beta supersu v2.52

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2A3HYsj0H2RMWs0SGtPMFZmOW8/view?usp=docslist_api

20. SapilautX
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 28, 2016

SapilautX , Mar 28, 2016 :
    @Funk Wizard i need help here, have many questions sir.. so im on stock rom and stock recovery..
    1) is it better update to the lattest official ROM first before unlocking bootloader/Root (which i know the latest ROM is 2.2.0-Hotfix) ?
    2) i want to flash full ROM 2.2.0 then 2.2.0-hotfix using stock recovery, can i do that without unlocking bootloader first? and no need PC at all, just use stock recovery on device, right?
    3) if i done the flash. could i use your method here to continue unlocking bootloader and rooting process?
    4) if i done unlocking bootloader and rooting using your method, can i still use stock recovery to flash official ROM update next time? or i should install custom recovery? (becoz i dont want install custom recovery). is my device would be just ok if i dont install custom recovey after unlocking bootloader and root my phone using your method?

*sorry for lots of Q's. Would be great if i can hear from you soon sir..i really need the answers. Thanks in advanced! @Funk Wizard

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016